Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 IONIQ HEV Blue Trim | Ceramic White/Charcoal
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the 2020 discussions throughout the forum, I’ve been checking the Hyundai USA site regularly and there have been the reduced price 2019s until today:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction: Only the HEV and PHEV are updated to 2020. The BEV is still 2019 on the site. Guessing the good ol’ USA has a lack of demand/surplus issue? Maybe if more states could get them, Hyundai?

·
Registered
725 Posts
When I was car shopping back in August, my dealer said that the MY2020 BEV and PHEV models wouldn't arrive in Canada until late March at the earliest. North American production is likely queued up behind Europe due to EV adoption being much farther ahead across the pond.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hyundai Canada told me December was the release date for the MY2020, it appears it will be end of December.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer received an email from Hyundai Canada saying that the prices will be unveiled in early January. They already received some cars but they can't sell them.

·
Registered
725 Posts
HyundaiCanada.com has the 2020 HEV and PHEV models posted now with pricing, but the BEV is still awol.

Edit to add: Ugh, still no vented seats available, but they gave us the driver's seat memory and automatic folding mirrors. I'd trade the folding mirrors for vented seats in a heartbeat. They also stuck us with the TPMS, which seems like more trouble than it's worth from all the forum posts I've read. I'm glad that my 2019 PHEV doesn't have it.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I haven't read of any issues with TPMS (nor have I read of issues other than compatible models for new cars or alerts when missing) and it has been completely reliable and an interesting feature for me. I'm not sure why it hasn't been available for Canadian models previously as it seem to me to be a good fit. Variable cold weather is where having access to tire working pressures is an advantage over just cold filling pressures. Of course, perhaps lower efficiency and low tread life winter tires negate much of this advantage.

The OEM Firestone tire issue in the late 1990s linked to the rollover deaths of over 100 people in SUVs led to mandating TPMS in the US for all cars model year 2008 and later. Europe followed suit in 2014. It is considered a safety feature first to alert drivers of dangerous under inflation. But it certainly is a good aid to increasing efficiency for owners that care.

·
Registered
725 Posts
In my 30 years of driving I've never had an under inflated tire that I didn't detect by feel before it went completely flat. My perception of TPMS being a pain is around having to purchase extra sensors for winter wheels, or having the sensors not sync up when doing wheel swaps and tire rotations. Given the feature's limited value to me personally, I quite enjoy not having to deal with (or pay for) it in my 2019, and would happily trade it for the ventilated seats if buying a 2020.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I take it you were not one of the 100 people who died simply because of defective tires? Safety issues do not happen to every single driver. I also don't really care that much about any added safety from this feature, I've had no trouble detecting going flat tires - when I was young I had many from buying used tires.

The big picture is over large populations, TPMS does save lives, and does help raise fuel efficiency. Those are a benefit to all of us in reducing the cost of taxpayer supported emergency medical service and collateral deaths in accidents, and some non-zero amount of unnecessary pollution.

The younger generation may have had no experience with flat tires as they are now relatively rare occurrences. And many have no idea what to do with a flat tire - I have several times seen drivers continuing to drive on a now bare rim, clearly haven driven a good distance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Annnnnd drumroll … the 2020 EV is NOW on the US website.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
88 Posts
Its good to know we are not getting ripped off here in Australia on recommended retail price at least, it's actually cheaper here somehow at current exchange rates. Incentives on the other hand are virtually non-existent.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Its good to know we are not getting ripped off here in Australia on recommended retail price at least, it's actually cheaper here somehow at current exchange rates. Incentives on the other hand are virtually non-existent.
Gee, wonder what the connection is? Lower prices in countries without incentives.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
88 Posts
Its an outlier. A us priced tesla model 3 LR, no upgrades, with taxes but without tax credit is AU$79k but to buy one here it's AU$98k. It cops the luxury car tax but thats not 20k

1 - 15 of 15 Posts