Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced the motor slippage in their 2019 Ioniq Electric? Whenever I pull out of a store that has a small dip or unevenness in the road (like a filled in pothole), the motor slips and the Ready Indicator and the Electronic Stability Control Indicator Lights comes on. These are not huge bumps or dips and my old LEAF had no issues handling the road. It happens so frequently in this car, it seems odd. It's worrisome, because when you pull out of store and onto a road, it is not a good time to lose power.

Another issue is wheel slippage when the roads are wet. I do not drive like a bat out of **** by any means, but just driving away from a four way stop, the wheels spin when it's wet outside.

The slippage is just as bad with the brakes when it is wet outside. The brakes lock up too easily. I suspect it's all one big traction issue.

One last issue is the heater. Sometimes the heater takes a long time to produce heat. Like 20 minutes later.

Did I get a dud or are these common issues that can be corrected?

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
344 Posts
Where in the USA are you, which specific spec do you have, what size wheels are fitted, did you get the car brand new or used, when was it first registered, how many miles are on the clock now and what % Eco, Normal & Aggressive show on the gauge? Your answers to these points may help others to comment effectively.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What condition are your tires? How many miles? I have 5k on snows and 6k on Michelin summers and I do not have any of these issues. I also drive on Eco mode most of the time and drive pretty normally But I do some spirited drives as well. I have driven in Normal and Sport some and did not like the torque and It can lead to tire spinning. That’s primarily why I stay in Eco. I have no issue in the rain with no difference in slipping. That’s what makes me think tires. What are your tire pressures? Is the setting per the manual?

My roads are terrible in Eastern Maine, rough, pot holes and lots of sand. The only issue I notice is switching from regen to mechanical braking in Winter when you hit road roughness, sand or ice, It takes some getting used to every Winter.

Do you run the heater in heat only or Auto? Sometimes It does take a while. I set it on heat only and it seems quicker than Auto. Also turn off Auto Defrost, That slows down heating a lot As it’s always trying to defrost the windshield. I prefer to tell it what mode to be in Based on actual fogging. If you want it to warm Faster use heat and recirc but your windows May fog.

I do not know why But if plugged into power for A morning schedule it seems to warm up a lot faster.

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq Electric
28 Posts
I found the Energy Saver tyres really poor in these areas. Switched to all seasons and the grip is now excellent. No noticeable loss of range since making the change but even if there was, it would be worth the trade off for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced the motor slippage in their 2019 Ioniq Electric? Whenever I pull out of a store that has a small dip or unevenness in the road (like a filled in pothole), the motor slips and the Ready Indicator and the Electronic Stability Control Indicator Lights comes on. These are not huge bumps or dips and my old LEAF had no issues handling the road. It happens so frequently in this car, it seems odd. It's worrisome, because when you pull out of store and onto a road, it is not a good time to lose power.

Another issue is wheel slippage when the roads are wet. I do not drive like a bat out of **** by any means, but just driving away from a four way stop, the wheels spin when it's wet outside.

The slippage is just as bad with the brakes when it is wet outside. The brakes lock up too easily. I suspect it's all one big traction issue.

One last issue is the heater. Sometimes the heater takes a long time to produce heat. Like 20 minutes later.

My 2019 (bought new with 4000kms in 2020) came with Laufenn tires, (made by Hankook). I immediately noticed how bad they were in rain. Dry roads were ok, but regular braking (not to the 8 or 9s) and I slid 5 or 10 feet. I bought the car in August and made it to November 2020 before installing new winters (I'm in Canada). Some nice Michelin X-snow; they are great. I usually cheap out on winter tires, but found the need to go with higher quality based on the poor performance I was experiencing with the Laufenns (which are all season). Tread was good on them, they were new but slid waaay too much for the amount of brake pressure. Tire size BTW is 205/55/R16.
I never experienced the motor slips or the heater issues you mentioned.
Jay

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
834 Posts
My 2018 BEV IONIQ will start pumping warm air into the cabin within 2 or 3 mins of me "starting" the car, sometimes faster. I also use the seat and steering wheel warmers. They're great.

As for the tyres, the Michelin Energy Savers are not the best I've ever used, but I find them adequate, even in the snow (not that we get much here in Vancouver). Grip is definitely reduced in the wet (of which we do get a lot here) compared with in the dry, but I've never struggled to take off and/or stop effectively.

OB

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
105 Posts
I get the impression the front end of the car is not as heavy as the rear and with it being front wheel drive only, it slips easier. Tires aren't pushing into the road as much when you accelerate. Can 'feel' the weight behind me when merging out onto a road.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hello everyone,

A quick suggestion, test drive another for a comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts