Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could have been posted earlier, but I can't seem to find it with the search function of this forum, so forgive my forum etiquette if it's been discussed.

I'm a new owner as of yesterday, and I'm currently getting settings honed in.

Is there a way to turn ON a beeping or honking sound when you lock your car via the FOB? I did some googling last night and this morning and found some generic instructions saying you should be able to do this by pressing the Lock and Unlock buttons as the same time. I did this and the hazards flashed 3 times. In the instructions, they said 3 times means you've turned it off. You should be able to repeat the action, the hazards flash ones and it turns it on.

I have also looked through all the menus and settings I could find on the touch screen and on the dash board,

I imagine this is either not a feature the Ioniq has, OR, I'm just being a huge idiot because it's clear as day. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realized it would also be helpful if you don't know to just share what your car does when you lock it with the Smart Key. Does it chime? Does it just blink? Does it honk?

I found some information in the manual (page 3-3 of the Hybrid model, which someone said covers both Hybrid and PHEV) saying "The Hazard Warning Lights will Blink and the Chime will sound once."

This indicates to me that there should be a beep instead of a horn, which is fine. I'm mainly just looking for an audio feedback that the doors have been locked.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't know what I did, but, now my car is making a sound when I lock it. One little chime for a lock, and a double chime when I unlock it. I'm thinking potentially I just didn't hear it previously as I didn't know what to listen for.

So for those looking at this in the future wondering the same thing, it's a low volume chime, not a chirp or a horn or a beep.

·
Registered
2017 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 July '17
1,784 Posts
Welcome to the forum @MambaJamba826

Where abouts are you located? Could you please add your location to your profile by clicking on your avatar in the upper right and choosing Account Settings from the dropdown? This is an international forum with loads of differences on the cars between countries. So knowing where your from helps answer questions. You can find the location of other users (if they've entered it) by hovering over their avatar or tapping it if on a mobile device.

That said, I can say:
  • On British and European models, there is no audio feedback when locking doors.
  • On Canadian and American models:
    • on keyed-ignition trims, the horn will toot briefly when the lock button on the keyfob is pressed twice.
    • on keyless-ignition trims, the car will chirp once when locking and twice when unlocking either via the keyfob or the door handle button.
    • don't believe there's any menu settings that enables/disables this.
  • Not sure about other countries.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, @ds093 , on the different locations. Classic American mentality that everyone's just from America, right? We're the only ones who buy cars! Well, except maybe those English guys from Top Gear.

I'm in Raleigh, North Carolina, USA.

And yeah, the Keyless Ignition is what I have, so your description of what should happen is exactly what it does. Where did you get that information?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
@MambaJamba826

It was recently discussed in this thread:

Oh and thanks for adding your location.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Also, mine is keyless and chirps, but I hired a Blue-trim with keyed ignition back in January for a few days, and that was the behaviour I noted at the time on that one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, I even looked in that thread when I was searching the forum and didn't see it. Thanks for the help. What's important is that it does what I want it to do!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Good point, @ds093 , on the different locations. Classic American mentality that everyone's just from America, right? We're the only ones who buy cars! Well, except maybe those English guys from Top Gear.
Well that and when I first got my Ioniq two years ago, I blindly thought Ioniqs were virtually identical anywhere in the world, but through this forum, I'm constantly finding differences on the cars between countries. Things I take for granted on my Canadian model are absent or work differently in other countries, including the US.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I don't know what I did, but, now my car is making a sound when I lock it. One little chime for a lock, and a double chime when I unlock it. I'm thinking potentially I just didn't hear it previously as I didn't know what to listen for.

So for those looking at this in the future wondering the same thing, it's a low volume chime, not a chirp or a horn or a beep.

is it same as above video lock/unlock sound? I'm searching a solution for add to my Ioniq Hybrid also, my car didn't have that lock/unlock sound.

·
Registered
688 Posts

is it same as above video lock/unlock sound? I'm searching a solution for add to my Ioniq Hybrid also, my car didn't have that lock/unlock sound.
what type and trim is your car?

NVM. I mistakenly identified your flag.

·
Registered
384 Posts

That's the sound my 2019 Canadian PHEV Ultimate has, my 2012 Genesis Coupe before that, and the last three of my wife's Santa Fe's. I just assumed that every Hyundai sounded like that. If yours doesn't then maybe check with your dealer to see if there's a faulty beeper?

·
Registered
688 Posts
That's the sound my 2019 Canadian PHEV Ultimate has, my 2012 Genesis Coupe before that, and the last three of my wife's Santa Fe's. I just assumed that every Hyundai sounded like that. If yours doesn't then maybe check with your dealer to see if there's a faulty beeper?
@KevinT It’s depends where the car is. All of them in North America have that sound. @lysiong is in Malaysia, I believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@KevinT It’s depends where the car is. All of them in North America have that sound. @lysiong is in Malaysia, I believe.
Yes, I'm in Malaysia, all Ioniq Hybrid in Malaysia don't have that beep sound. I wondering the beep sound come from which component, perhaps Malaysia Ioniq Hybrid missing that component. If I be able to source that beeper & add in, then maybe i will have that beeper sound too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ds093 is correct, my UK spec car doesn’t make any kind of noise when locked or unlocked, but the mirrors do fold to give a visual check that the car has received the signal, that and the flashing indicators.

As has been said above, not all markets are the same.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I seem to remember that there was a fashion for cars to beep when they were locked/alarmed in the UK in the 80's / 90's
Luckily it went out of fashion as all the beeping in the night was annoying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts