Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys and girls,this is my first post so any help would be appreciated.
My car has only done 200 miles mainly because I am disabled and use a walking stick, and am having problems with the foot parking break which is much much higher than the foot brake and accelerator.
I am sure I would have noticed if this was normal when I visited the Hyundai showrooms in Dunstable, I did not have a test drive because I had done so much research into getting this car, all I wanted was to make sure that the seating height allowed me to get in and out nicely, which it does.
Anyway does anyone else have problem with the foot parking brake being so high that it is difficult to get their foot on it do engage it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
No issue for me but I don't have any mobility issues other than advancing years ;) . Bit late now but maybe it would have been better to wait for the 2020 Ioniq which I believe has electronic parking brake .

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can do all the research in the world but until you drive a car you cannot get a feel for it.
The pedal is up higher so you can't accidently put it on when pressing brake pedal.
The parking brake and lack of rear wiper are the two things i do not like on my Ioniq other than that it is an awesome car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My car has only done 200 miles mainly because I am disabled and use a walking stick, and am having problems with the foot parking break which is much much higher than the foot brake and accelerator.
I am sure I would have noticed if this was normal when I visited the Hyundai showrooms in Dunstable, I did not have a test drive because I had done so much research into getting this car, all I wanted was to make sure that the seating height allowed me to get in and out nicely, which it does.
Anyway does anyone else have problem with the foot parking brake being so high that it is difficult to get their foot on it do engage it.

Thanks
Hi and welcome to the Ioniq club. If you live in a mainly flat area of England, don't use the parking brake. The park function of the transmission will suffice. Just don't select Park when moving if you don't want to damage the transmission.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Second that. 400,000 Americans who never use a parking brake can't be wrong. Steep hill is our only exception. In 16 months of ownership, I've only used it once. To check the reversing lights!

You can also use your walking stick to push the parking brake lever.

·
Registered
233 Posts
lack of rear wiper
I find that Rain-X keeps the rear free of water at moderate speed well enough that a rear wiper isn't necessary
I second the use of Rain-X. Works very well above 40mph. I've even applied it to the windscreen. That worked at moderate speed, but at 30mph/50kmh using wipers, it smeared so never reapplied it at the front.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

Thanks
Nope. A test drive would have instantly revealed that, and there is no substitute for driving the thing you intend to drive on the road.
The parking brake IS noticeably higher than the other pedals, but I have no trouble with it. :nerd:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I second the use of Rain-X. Works very well above 40mph. I've even applied it to the windscreen. That worked at moderate speed, but at 30mph/50kmh using wipers, it smeared so never reapplied it at the front.
Concur, the Rain-X makes the rear screen noticeably clearer, and easy to clear. I find I need to only reapply it once a month or so and that is probably reflected by repeated use of a hand wash about ten mins from my house.
I NEVER use Rain-X on screens or anything swept by wipers, for the very reason you found.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Nope. A test drive would have instantly revealed that, and there is no substitute for driving the thing you intend to drive on the road.
The parking brake IS noticeably higher than the other pedals, but I have no trouble with it. :nerd:
Good for the OP to know that you have no trouble with the pedal. Also helpful to point out the mistake they made after they admitted to it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I NEVER use Rain-X on screens or anything swept by wipers, for the very reason you found.
I use Rain-X washer fluid. It slowly applies the Rain-X coating to the windscreen as you use the washers and thus I've never had any smearing. I really like not having to use the wipers when on the highway.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I can understand how the emergency brake pedal could be an issue with someone mobility issues. But I personally prefer the foot pedal to the lever mounted by the driver's seat, like many imported vehicles had in the past. My Mercedes CLK 350 has the pedal too, so when I got the Ioniq I felt very comfortable with it. That said, I had a Volvo that had electronic emergency brakes and I would much prefer that.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Good for the OP to know that you have no trouble with the pedal. Also helpful to point out the mistake they made after they admitted to it.
Thanks, I noted the limitations of the controls on the test drive...

My reply is intended as reinforcement of the OP's error in not taking the car for a lengthy test drive - I have a metal pin in my left leg with slightly limited movement in my left knee from a nasty bike accident many years ago.
That taught me to review all control functionality, lest I regret it later...:nerd:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I use Rain-X washer fluid. It slowly applies the Rain-X coating to the windscreen as you use the washers and thus I've never had any smearing. I really like not having to use the wipers when on the highway.
I'm an old skinflint and would never buy Rain-X washer fluid unless I didn't have anything else - I use cheap screenwash concentrate from my local car parts place and it lasts about a year and a half per concentrate bottle, and I'd never share it with Rain-X in the same water bottle - and the Ionic really lasts a long time before refills!! >:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm using Aquapel for years. Windshield application works for 5-6 monthes, side window and mirrors - stays at least year (actually - about two years and it depends on car washing station :) )
In opposite to Rain-X and substitutes, Aquapel not buil a film coat over glass, but bond with glass. This way I also "polish" a windshield from sand scratches.

From friend using RainX I've got recommendation to replace original wishers with RainX wishers, which less traumatic for coating film.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm no longer a regular user of such things but have used both Aquapel and RainX and find RainX does a better job of clearing water at highway speeds. Some of the makers of ceramic paint protectors recommend treating windows when you do the paint. That looks interesting! And should last longer than Aquapel and easier to refresh (after laborious initial treatment). Looks like it works better than the alternatives.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts