Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 EV with 400 miles and 23% battery life remaining won’t charge when plugged in at home. Last 2 charges have been done the exact same way, now this time nothing happens. Tried plugging and unplugging into outlet, remote won’t do anything. Finally used emergency release to disconnect cable. Called Hyundai on a Saturday evening and they want to tow it to a dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Under EV menu and “charging settings”, is the “charge now” option selectred rather than by schedule? You may have hit the schedule button by accident. Just a thought.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In the UK smart home chargers can prevent a charge until a cheaper electric tariff is available. They also learn your habits which may explain why it won't charge if it thinks you won't need the car until the following day. I opted to turn the smart home charge feature off as it doesn't fit my needs. Instead, I let the cars scheduling feature handle charging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under EV menu and “charging settings”, is the “charge now” option selectred rather than by schedule? You may have hit the schedule button by accident. Just a thought.
Are you referring to a menu in blue link app or in the car? Blue link status shows car is plugged in and it is not and the refresh car status in app times out. Can’t see menu in car as Car is not turning on and remotes don’t work. Thanks for your response. We will post results

·
Registered
179 Posts
Are you referring to a menu in blue link app or in the car? Blue link status shows car is plugged in and it is not and the refresh car status in app times out. Can’t see menu in car as Car is not turning on and remotes don’t work. Thanks for your response. We will post results
Ouch, if nothing works, I guess you have another problem or the 12V battery is dead. I did mean the Menu in the car. Press the EV button. Go to Charge Settings Icon and see what your settings are for "charge Now" or Charge by Schedule. You may want to check the 12V battery voltage or Jump start the car using cables (refer to Owners manual). If there is power at the battery, Disconnect the negative and wait and reconnect. That may reset things a bit. All the computers run from the 12V battery. It's possible that is dead or never got enough charge. They are a known issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Once you jump start it with cables (refer to Owners manual). Check the "battery saver settings" in the Owners manual and in the car They may be turned off and your 12V battery did not charge and went dead. Sorry you are having issues so new. My guess is something never got fully charged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 EV with 400 miles and 23% battery life remaining won’t charge when plugged in at home. Last 2 charges have been done the exact same way, now this time nothing happens. Tried plugging and unplugging into outlet, remote won’t do anything. Finally used emergency release to disconnect cable. Called Hyundai on a Saturday evening and they want to tow it to a dealer tomorrow.
We have a 2019 EV with 1000 miles. Same thing happened to us yesterday as well. The stop Car check brake warning came on. Wouldn't let us charge at all. We checked the voltage on the 12V battery which was reading at 6V. We put that on a charger and was able to power on the car immediately. It is unfortunate as we have only had the car a couple of months. Our thinking is the car sat for so long that the battery is bad? Maybe? Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar issue when my 12 V battery was starting to fail. Before I actually had the 12 V battery too low to not be able to start the car, I also had issues unlocking the charger from the charger port and had to resort to the "Emergency" cable. The final straw was that I could not get it to charge at all, and could not even open the boot/trunk to release the cable.
To prove if this is an issue, get yourself a voltmeter and check that it is 12.3 V or higher to see if this the root cause of your issues. Or Start the vehicle ( if it will still start ) this will start the equivalent of an alternator and give your 12 V electrical system lots of power (The voltage usually goes to around 14 V or so once the car "starts"). See if you can start the charging then.
Since having my 12 V battery replaced ( Warranty ) I have had no problems getting charging started or not being able to remove the charging cable.
My Guess is that if the 12 V Battery is too low, some of the electronics may not work correctly, This may be quite sensitive to the components used in the electronics and could vary from car to car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ouch, if nothing works, I guess you have another problem or the 12V battery is dead. I did mean the Menu in the car. Press the EV button. Go to Charge Settings Icon and see what your settings are for "charge Now" or Charge by Schedule. You may want to check the 12V battery voltage or Jump start the car using cables (refer to Owners manual). If there is power at the battery, Disconnect the negative and wait and reconnect. That may reset things a bit. All the computers run from the 12V battery. It's possible that is dead or never got enough charge. They are a known issue.
Thanks for the help, We jumped the 12v battery and drove the car to the dealer. They tested the 12v and it's dead and are going to replace it. I think the whole unable to charge issue was caused by that bad12v battery. What we have learned during this experience is the Hyundai customer support & dealer staff do not know very much about the EV vehicle. SO thank you for all your support!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the help, We jumped the 12v battery and drove the car to the dealer. They tested the 12v and it's dead and are going to replace it. I think the whole unable to charge issue was caused by that bad12v battery. What we have learned during this experience is the Hyundai customer support & dealer staff do not know very much about the EV vehicle. SO thank you for all your support!
Congratulations! I am still learning as well as this is my first EV too. I am disappointed that Hyundai makes you go to the dealer for all questions. They will not answer any questions directly. I have tried 3 times, even telling them the dealer does not know the answer. This is a huge mistake for them as the dealers do not know **** about EV's. Anyway, I am glad you are back on the road. Was the battery in stock?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations! I am still learning as well as this is my first EV too. I am disappointed that Hyundai makes you go to the dealer for all questions. They will not answer any questions directly. I have tried 3 times, even telling them the dealer does not know the answer. This is a huge mistake for them as the dealers do not know **** about EV's. Anyway, I am glad you are back on the road. Was the battery in stock?
No they did not have a battery in stock. It will take 2 days. We had to leave the car, but they gave us a 2020 Elantra loaner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the 12v charge circuit. Unless just a dud 12v battery, which is unusual in such a new car. I recall some Nissan leafs having a similar issue.
Might be a good idea to buy a voltmeter and test the 12v battery voltage regularly, if it starts dropping below about 12.2v it would indicate a problem with the circuitry and the new battery will fail soon as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can get a car battery monitor ( plugs into 12 V "cigarette lighter" socket ) and see how much charge your battery is getting, and when the car is turned to auxiliary ( "Off" but electronics powered by 12 V Battery ) you can read the voltage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are still waiting to get the car back from the dealer . Dropped off Tuesday, they have called every day to tell us they have not received the 12v battery in their delivers. We are still in the loaner Elantra. Ugh! Hopefully Monday we will get it back. Our thoughts on the 12v dying is That the car was sitting for a long time before sale to us. It was an end of year close out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can get a car battery monitor ( plugs into 12 V "cigarette lighter" socket ) and see how much charge your battery is getting, and when the car is turned to auxiliary ( "Off" but electronics powered by 12 V Battery ) you can read the voltage.
View attachment 31318
Great, simple trick Chris!
Thanks for learning the hard way and reporting to us noobs to avoid being stuck over something as simple as a dud battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts