Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up on my one year anniversary of owning a Ioniq Hybrid Limited and I thought it would be a good idea to express my thoughts about owning and driving it for the past year. The Ioniq is about to come up on 15,000 US miles. It has mostly been driven in the central Arkansas with two trips to Texas and one trip to Kentucky. Over the entire year I have averaged 50 MPG-US. I have had no mechanical issues and it has had two maintenance services. I have had one windshield replaced due to rock damage. I have made three modifications to the Ioniq: I purchased a spare wheel and tire, I installed all weather floor and trunk mats, and I had a black pinstripe had painted along the side from front to rear. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I discovered early on the advertised MPG of 55 city/54 highway were not my real world figures. Sure if you drive in the city at 20-30 MPH and do not have many stop lights or signs then 55 MPG or better is achievable. And on the highway if one travels at 50 MPH on mostly level surfaces then 54 MPG or better can be had. I rarely have experienced either of those scenarios. Over all the Ioniq seems to be well put together. I have experiences no unusual noises or rattles. The seats are comfortable and the sound system is outstanding. For its size luggage capacity is awesome – I have even put some eight foot 2X4’s in it and closed the hatch! There are a few things that I wish were different, like the bar going across the rear hatch window and no wiper there either, but I knew about those things before purchasing and I live with it. For this first year the Ioniq has been a good vehicle. I am planning to replace it in a year or so with an all electric vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Hybrid Limited
11 Posts
I've had a very similar experience. I'm coming up on 1 year and about 18k miles. 50+ mpg just doesn't seem to be a reality for me either. Too much highway driving at 70-75 mph.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a very similar experience. I'm coming up on 1 year and about 18k miles. 50+ mpg just doesn't seem to be a reality for me either. Too much highway driving at 70-75 mph.
I am happy with 50+ MPG, but it is sad that tests were not performed at real US highway speeds. In this part of the country most folks travel at 75+ MPH on the freeways. In Texas, were I have family, many roads have a posted speed of 75 and state highways are 65.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bet I've only had a tank of gas get above 50mpg twice since I've owned the car. And I drive like a little old lady.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I bet I've only had a tank of gas get above 50mpg twice since I've owned the car. And I drive like a little old lady.
So for Gorj who drives 70 and presumably has 17" wheels with wider tires and a lot of AC usage in Arkansas, 50 mpg seems reasonable. Someone who drives like a little old lady should be doing better. What size are your wheels?

I have a Niro, same drivetrain but much less aerodynamic than the Ioniq. I never drive at 25 mph (other than five blocks on most trips), observe a max speed of 65 mph and am at a two full year average of 53 mpg over 33,000 miles. Pretty sure if those miles were in an Ioniq, I'd be looking at 60 mpg plus.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My Ioniq is also coming up on a year old, though only about 8,000 miles. A couple of long interstate trips, but otherwise mostly 9-mile each-way daily commute, and an occasional (every couple of weeks) 50-mile round-trip on the highway.

Average mpg overall has been 55mpg (US). Lowest tank was 49 on a 540-mile round trip in early January on interstates averaging maybe 75mph up, and more like 35-40 on the way back due to very heavy snow in places. Best tank was from last summer, commuting only for 6 weeks, rendering 63mpg.

I'm very happy with the car, and have no complaints at all. It is a bit fussy over temperatures and headwinds especially, but not really any more than my last Prius was. It's far more comfortable, quieter and rather more robustly built than the Prius too, so my overall impression is that it's a great car for the (albeit fairly keen) price I got it for, as the dealer seemed extremely interested in parting company with it last April.

Given the choice in future for another Ioniq or back to a Prius, I'll stick with the Ioniq, thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've also been surprised by how much temperature and wind plays a part in fuel economy. Still getting used to a hybrid I guess.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Regular cars are just as affected by changes in temperature, wind, and inclement weather as ours, but with our base mpg numbers are twice as high as typical vehicles on the road, the number change from these factors is much more visible. It bothered me a lot when my prior car dropped from 28 to 24 mpg in the winter, but dropping from 59 to 50 mpg just feels huge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts