Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I've been leasing a 2018 Ioniq Hybrid Blue for the past couple of years and have noticed quite a few issues that I'm wondering if anyone else has ever encountered if mine is just a dud.

-lunging when shifting gears
-windows fogging up constantly
-leaking from the trunk
-check engine light turning on when I need an oil change (after only 3000 miles)
-crappy mileage when it rains
-Range number rapidly dropping even when driving on the battery (drops by 20 miles even when my mileage for the trip is around like 70 mpg)

I don't mean to rant, just curious if anyone else has these types of issues. Both times I've had my oil change at a Hyundai dealer, they've commented that the oil is too high and dirty, even though they were the ones who did the oil change.

·
Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
that don't sound normal

• the leak in the trunk we have had a few with leaks around the rear light clusters
  • the fogging up can be the leak in the rear or the cabin filter clogged
  • the time between services can be set by the dealer when serviced, so they get the car back regularly, i still can't believe you guys in the US have to change oil every 3k, standard here in UK/ EU is 10k and no harsh climate shortened periods
  • the range is a bit of a guess-o-meter i have seen mine go up and down when running in EV mode on my hybrid
  • heavy rain affects economy as having to disperse the water from under the tyres takes energy, but it could also point to an electrical connector not sealed properly getting affected by damp, difficult to diagnose without more specific details
the too high / dirty oil could point to a failing injector, next time you have an oil change get a sample analysed for fuel contamination, also check the oil level when you get the car back from service and take a photo of the oil level on the dipstick as proof

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Lunging when shifting when transmission is warmed up is not normal. See dealer.

Three of your items are related to rain! All cars drop mpg in the rain. You have an automatic defog system. Read about it in the manual and take it to the dealer if it is misbehaving. In humid conditions, cars with steeply raked windshields like yours seem to be more sensitive to fogging. Trunk leaking is a warranty item.

Forget about the displayed range. Highly inaccurate but I find it is a bit more useful when within 100 miles of zero for making my own intelligent guess about true remaining range.

The service interval was set by the dealer, but you can change it yourself in the dash settings (from steering wheel). In the manual. My dealer never set it (bought my car practically off the truck), so it never goes off. Which is certainly my preference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My old Ioniq PHEV and new BEV both fog up in rain unless you have air con on.
The efficiency drops in rain on PHEV & BEV.
Drive chain was very smooth unless in spots mode.
Never used any oil between services.
MPG drops off when you drive over 65mph.
At 30 to 40 mph battery give you good 25 miles about 4.5 miles KW.
Look like to have the Late Friday afternoon South Korean car !!

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
that don't sound normal

• the leak in the trunk we have had a few with leaks around the rear light clusters
  • the fogging up can be the leak in the rear or the cabin filter clogged
  • the time between services can be set by the dealer when serviced, so they get the car back regularly, i still can't believe you guys in the US have to change oil every 3k, standard here in UK/ EU is 10k and no harsh climate shortened periods
  • the range is a bit of a guess-o-meter i have seen mine go up and down when running in EV mode on my hybrid
  • heavy rain affects economy as having to disperse the water from under the tyres takes energy, but it could also point to an electrical connector not sealed properly getting affected by damp, difficult to diagnose without more specific details
the too high / dirty oil could point to a failing injector, next time you have an oil change get a sample analysed for fuel contamination, also check the oil level when you get the car back from service and take a photo of the oil level on the dipstick as proof
Here, it's 7500 miles unless you drive in extreme conditions. From what I can tell from Hyundai's website, extreme conditions are when you drive someplace where sometimes it rains, snows, or experiences sunrises. I stick to every 7500 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts