Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the driver's door handle (plastic portion behind the actual handle) fell off.!! Has anyone experienced this issue? Am assuming this is a warranty issue but bet the dealer will think not. Just want to know if this is an issue common with the community.

Have to have dealer re-install as unable to get it secured positively myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.

Is it the triangular part that covers the manual lock, by any chance? If it is, then try putting it back in while pulling on the door handle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear about this.

Is it the triangular part that covers the manual lock, by any chance? If it is, then try putting it back in while pulling on the door handle.

Yes. That is the part. I've tried your suggestion without success. Problem seems to be fitting it over the gasket which keeps water from entering/impairing the manual lock mechanism. I can just hear the Hyundai mechanics say total replacement of the door handle is the remedy. Doubt I can argue this is within warranty and/or a manufacturing issue. We'll see

·
Registered
433 Posts
There was someone on here who had a similar problem with a rear door handle detaching. Dealer glued the part back on.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Recently the driver's door handle (plastic portion behind the actual handle) fell off.!! Has anyone experienced this issue? Am assuming this is a warranty issue but bet the dealer will think not. Just want to know if this is an issue common with the community.

Have to have dealer re-install as unable to get it secured positively myself.

Thanks
Sure that is a warranty issue. It is not a wearing part like a belt or brake pads. And since another on the forum had the same issue, I am sure Hyundai knows about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too had the same happen today. I am a manufacturing engineer with 30 years experience and made a point with Hyundai customer services. There is an aluminium insert in the solid plastic which the screw goes in to accessing when you open the door behind a black cap. This issue here is that the coefficient of linear expansion of aluminium is high and rigid plastic is brittle. e.g bend a comb and it will break. when aluminium gets hot it expands and recently being cold it contracts. Subject a weak point in the plastic to lots of movement it eventually fractures, like if you bend a piece of metal lots, eventually it breaks. This is measured as Young Modulus. Anyway detailed images show this is a design fault. For perspective my car is 18 months old and has zero damage and the door only gets used to put my laptop bag on the back seat. Single owner user with 15500 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happened to my 2019 Ioniq Hybrid. We were going out to the shops, first time in ages. My wife pulled the passenger front door handle and it came off in her hand, I couldn't believe it. The triangular plastic section next to the handle has broken away, allowing the handle to come away from the door. I rang our local dealer, now having to wait a week before I take it in for them to look at it before they order parts. This should not happen to a 2 year old car, it does not give me any confidence with the build quality. Never had any problems with the Kia Ceed I had previously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts