Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my videos but these are the first drives of people in the Ioniq electric version. Not as bad looking in colors other than white.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The red does look really nice, but now the "grill" area is starting to throw me off, maybe if it were all red it might look better ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The red does look really nice, but now the "grill" area is starting to throw me off, maybe if it were all red it might look better ?

At first I didnt like the grill colour, but it reminds me of the German makers. They often use grey plastic Paint on the 4x4 models of their cars (Passat 4 Motion, Audi SUVs earlier models), though not on the grill, but its not that uncommon mixing the grey plastic with metallic paint.

I kind of use that to convince myself its not ugly;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't like the waffle version at all, makes the interior look a bit too old an dull. Would prefer something that looks a bit sporty which would complement the exterior. Something along the lines of what was done to the Scion iA

·
Registered
176 Posts
This comment is not aimed at you ChargedUp, honest, and I am not being critical.

Actually on this thread and on PriusChat, so many writers describe both the Ioniq and the Prius using words like .... 'sporty;' 'youthful' or 'dull;' 'boring.'

I'll readily admit I think of 'sporty' as in 'sports car.' I feel my BMW Z3 Roadster is ''sporty.' It's just not a word that I use to describe a 5 door economy sedan.

I suppose it all comes down to the viewers experiences and environment because one person will describe something as 'sporty' and another describes it as 'boring.' Can you imagine an auto designer trying to anticipate and appeal to the majority? It has been said that Toyota's upper management sent the Prius back to the designers to make it more 'sporty' and 'youthful.' Did they succeed? Some think so .... personally, I don't. I think pictures I have seen of the Ioniq are very appealing ... attractive. But 'sporty?' ... I'm not sure.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The waffle design on the top section does give it a sporty sort of look in my opinion. Likewise, in my opinion, I don't feel that the Ioniq overall looks that sporty.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
practical and inoffensive would be my opinion

it don't stand out for being ugly (prius), driver lacking in manhood (ferarri, Porsche etc), bland (VAG clone boxes on wheels) or cheap (dacia)

design looks reasonable modern, plenty of tech in side at a reasonable price,

unlike the mini, Toyota aygo etc the dashboard looks integrated, and not as though bits have been stuck on as an after thought

no stupid colour interiors

only thing I think negative is "how many button do they need on the centre console"? I mean a nice big touch screen, surely they could have made use of that for some of the functions

as I say, inoffensive and practical

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm with you on the screen, don't understand why they wouldn't since it basically frees them up for many years or the whole production cycle. always easier to code in different buttons than it is to design a whole physical one much like what smartphone makers are able to do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
only thing I think negative is "how many button do they need on the centre console"? I mean a nice big touch screen, surely they could have made use of that for some of the functions
I dunno, I like the Tesla's approach of just having one big screen, but there is something to be said for being able to find a specific important function with minimal searching – it's always in the same place so muscle memory takes over, rather than having to assess what mode the screen is in.

There's probably a happy medium though and, given the choice, I would probably have a few less.

I don't get why they need the Power on button in the EV though. Why not unlock car = power on!

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
My wife didn't like it at first because she thought it looked sporty probably thought I was going to become a boy racer ;) . Had to explain to her about drag co effiency and all that :|

·
Registered
103 Posts
I beg to differ on this point. I am absolutely in favour of physical knobs and buttons. My personal motoric abilities simply work way better with physical entities than with touch screens in shaking environments. Or to put it another way, my car always hits a bump the split second before my finger touches the screen. It's easier for me to first make contact, then check whether you're in the right spot and finally press that button. This way I can keep my eyes for much longer on the road. I can actually do most frequent operations without even looking by simply feeling where my finger is.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's not just you Moose, a lot of us out here like the physical buttons since when driving its much easier to feel around for those controls and be 100% focused on the road compared to a touch screen which much like your phone requires you to look. It's a slight negative, fortunately the Ioniq has so much more going for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts