Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My 01/2017 Ioniq EV has done, for as long as I could remember, an audible "toc toc toc" noise which becomes" "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" when accelerating. To me it was always strange, but our local Hyundai dealer always called it "normal". We complained at every service visit (in our case, twice a year) but they always said that it's normal, nothing to be concerned about.

Inside the car, the noise it's noticeable until a certain velocity, then it gets more or less unnoticed (or our ears get used to it?). There is no vibration (so it doesn't seem mechanic) but it's something we can hear, although Hyundai always treated it as normal.
Anyway we finally got to record a video (sound, no image) with the phone sticked to the inverter cover

Please take a look after 00:25. It's perfectly clear a "toc toc toc toc" sound which increases to a "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound after enough acceleration.

I don't think this isn't normal, I did try other ioniqs and this noise doesn't exist, it's getting worse (it's far more audible than 2 years ago) and I can't get Hyundai to look at it as they still call it "normal".

Thanks

Registered
Can't realy place it. I don't hear the noise in my EV.
Are there any vibrations with it? Summer and winter the same?
It sounds a bit mechanical. Can it be bearings and seals around moving parts or a bend axle?
If you can record it the dealer must be able to find the cause and solve it before any damage develops. Maybe make use of vibration measurements or a stethoscope on housing parts to pinpoint the source.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Inside the car there are no noticeable vibrations, outside the car I'm still to try to run next to it lol :-D
There's a difference though. On the video we can always hear the noise. Inside the car it becomes inaudible after a certain velocity.

It's the same on summer or winter, as far as I can tell.

Registered
Try to get past the dealer. Write to the national distributor or Hyundai Europe. Escalate. You're a customer with a complaint. If Portugal is anything like Spain, car dealers, shops, telco companies etc etc will just push you around until you give up. It's the Mediterranean way of interpreting Customer Service so don't give up and make a ruckus.

Registered
If the motor exists of more parts open it up to look for production faults or defects in sub-parts. If they can't, replace.
The motor contains bearings, seals, axle, rotor (all moving parts). Probably internal connections and sensors under the cover plate. The left part is also the tail bearing housing inside the motor.

The sound is not comming from the reduction gear attached to the motor and being transferred over mechanically? Maybe misaligned or under tension?

I don't know the build-up op the electrical windings inside the motor or the number of permanent magnet poles. An interrupted internal connection could cause the electro-magnetic field to be a-symmetric. This would cause the motor to be jumpy (not running smooth) at low speed under load. A bad magnet on the rotor would do the same? Dealer could measure the induction of the windings and compare, but won't be able to repair this.

I don't think the dealer is going to repair the motor (it's one part).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts