Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the U.S. Hyundai website configurator that 20” wheels come with the AWD Limited trim. If that means 19” for the RWD Limited trim, I might upgrade from the RWD SEL to get the top trim and still have the smaller wheels.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I noticed on the U.S. Hyundai website configurator that 20” wheels come with the AWD Limited trim. If that means 19” for the RWD Limited trim, I might upgrade from the RWD SEL to get the top trim and still have the smaller wheels.
I think that the Limited means 20” wheels no matter the drive system.
I too would rather not have 20” wheels.
I was wondering about the possibility of trading wheels from a SEL or SL for the 20” when the car arrives. Has anyone done anything like this before? Maybe the dealer could help In this matter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that the Limited means 20” wheels no matter the drive system.
I too would rather not have 20” wheels.
I was wondering about the possibility of trading wheels from a SEL or SL for the 20” when the car arrives. Has anyone done anything like this before? Maybe the dealer could help In this matter.
The Hyundai website lists what‘s different about each trim level compared to lower trims. One item in the list for the Limited trim says “20-inch alloy wheels (AWD models)”. The fact that Hyundai singles out AWD makes me think the RWD Limited trim might have 19-wheels.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It could be that the awd is more expensive and people expect bigger wheels on more expensive vehicles, and the masses assume it must be fancy cause look at those wheels right?!

I have never heard a car that can't take a different size wheel at least within an inch or two of spec. I too am hoping for less than 20's on the car, but want the awd.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It could be that the awd is more expensive and people expect bigger wheels on more expensive vehicles, and the masses assume it must be fancy cause look at those wheels right?!

I have never heard a car that can't take a different size wheel at least within an inch or two of spec. I too am hoping for less than 20's on the car, but want the awd.
It's kinda funny, actually, how they're doing this when with an EV you really want every bit of efficiency you can get. The 19" wheels offer several percent greater efficiency (and thus range), so hopefully they'll allow people to get them on the AWD configs (if only by negotiation with the dealers). (On a related note, I'm curious as to what the efficiency difference with the much smaller wheels you were talking about on another thread might be)

·
Registered
2019 IONIQ HEV Blue Trim | Ceramic White/Charcoal
187 Posts
It's kinda funny, actually, how they're doing this when with an EV you really want every bit of efficiency you can get. The 19" wheels offer several percent greater efficiency (and thus range), so hopefully they'll allow people to get them on the AWD configs (if only by negotiation with the dealers). (On a related note, I'm curious as to what the efficiency difference with the much smaller wheels you were talking about on another thread might be)
Actually pretty typical on how the trim levels have worked in the current IONIQ line where the higher trims have larger wheels, wider, lower profile tires and ........ lower fuel economy, e.g., US Blue HEV with 15" wheels is rated 58 MPG combined and the higher trims with 17" wheels, wider/low profile tires, 55 MPG.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually pretty typical on how the trim levels have worked in the current IONIQ line where the higher trims have larger wheels, wider, lower profile tires and ........ lower fuel economy, e.g., US Blue HEV with 15" wheels is rated 58 MPG combined and the higher trims with 17" wheels, wider/low profile tires, 55 MPG.
That’s a good data point to get an idea. So maybe I’d save 10-15 miles if I’m being generous by running a 17 or something? 18 is my mental sweet spot. Don’t know if reality matches what’s in my head though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This WLTP range table is from the German Hyundai website, WLTP-Verbrauchswerte | Hyundai Deutschland and auto-translated. Keep in mind the battery is the international 72.6 kWh pack and no mention of other options, so don't take the numbers as absolutes especially if you're in the US and get the bigger pack. It might give an idea of the difference between 19" vs 20" wheels, and RWD vs AWD.

Edit: Added the Korean Brochure as well, which also illustrates the difference.
Edit 2: There's an English version of the brochure.

1622349267314.png
1622371554935.png

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq blue HEV
239 Posts
they are coming out with an AWD?!?!?! wow i wish they had that 2 years ago. i desperately need it for my ski trips. and i thought ioniqs were front wheel drive? not rear

·
Registered
21 Posts
i wish the big wheels were optional on limited awd. thats the only thing thats making me want to switch to limited rwd, or even sel awd.

Reactions: KrPtNk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read a post from a Danish buyer that said the 20” wheels are noticeably quieter than the 19” (they have the noise absorbing foam liner) and they give better handling than the 19” ones.

edit: This should have been a Norwegian buyer, not Danish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read a post from a Danish buyer that said the 20” wheels are noticeably quieter than the 19” (they have the noise absorbing foam liner) and they give better handling than the 19” ones.
Roadways in Denmark are quite good. Not so in many parts of the U.S. I would hate to hit a bit pothole in the skinny tire on a 20” wheel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How significant can the difference be with a 1" size difference? Enough to outweigh the range and comfort advantages of the smaller tire? (Hopefully they'll offer the option of 19s on all trims, in any case. It just seems natural for vehicles where every bit of efficiency matters)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Roadways in Denmark are quite good. Not so in many parts of the U.S. I would hate to hit a bit pothole in the skinny tire on a 20” wheel.
It's a 45 ratio tire on the Ioniq 5, so you actually get a decent 4.5"/11.4 cm of sidewall. Not horrible for a 20" wheel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts