Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been happening for a while now and I can't remember if it has since I bought it but everytime I brake from a high speed and about halfway into the stop I can hear this noise which I can describe as a grind/buzz. It doesn't do it when I brake in traffic or whatnot but only when coming to a stop from say 30mph or above. The car brakes fine but the sound is just troubling to me. Anyone else have this? I'm wondering if it's the transmission downshifting or just the hybrid braking system. I've never had a hybrid before so I'm not sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
803 Posts
While the car is on and stationary try step on brake pedal couple time and listen. If you hear the same sound then it is the sound of the pump and it is normal, according to the service manual.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea mine does it too..... it’s gotta be the whole brake regenerative battery thing it definitely is a troubling sound !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had no noise from brakes for first 3,000 miles. Now I hear a tick sound when putting pressure on the brake pedal. This is one tick for each time pressure is applied.....happens when at a stop or when moving. So I may get multiple ticks then applying pressure off and on when coming to a stop. Each new pressure on the pedal makes another tick. Brakes seem to work well...sound seems to come from near the brake pedal but can't pin point the location. Hyundai service said it was a solenoid switch that releases the lock on the shift lever so I can be moved.....My question is why would it do that while the car is moving as shifting on the move is likely not a good idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had no noise from brakes for first 3,000 miles. Now I hear a tick sound when putting pressure on the brake pedal. This is one tick for each time pressure is applied.....happens when at a stop or when moving. So I may get multiple ticks then applying pressure off and on when coming to a stop. Each new pressure on the pedal makes another tick. Brakes seem to work well...sound seems to come from near the brake pedal but can't pin point the location. Hyundai service said it was a solenoid switch that releases the lock on the shift lever so I can be moved.....My question is why would it do that while the car is moving as shifting on the move is likely not a good idea.
https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/dings-bell-on-decel.34084/#post-409737 I, too, have the same symptoms. It's not the shift interlock. However, it is 'normal' for these cars.

·
Registered
803 Posts
@Madking92 thank you for the bleeding procedure. One question, how to disconnect negative battery terminal? I don’t think I have access to 12v Li-Po battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry guys I forgot to update this.... About a week after the dealership having the vehicle they claim its the Clutch Actuator. After them installing that they call me and say they are still having the issue. They then tell me Hyundai recommended a new transmission. Luckily I was under warranty =) So they never told me what the sound actually was but the new transmission fixed it!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have a 2019 blue trim. I had the exact same problem last month. Transmission grinding when braking from about 30mph. Dealer replaced my transmission at 9300mi.

Sorry guys I forgot to update this.... About a week after the dealership having the vehicle they claim its the Clutch Actuator. After them installing that they call me and say they are still having the issue. They then tell me Hyundai recommended a new transmission. Luckily I was under warranty =) So they never told me what the sound actually was but the new transmission fixed it!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2019 blue trim. I had the exact same problem last month. Transmission grinding when braking from about 30mph. Dealer replaced my transmission at 9300mi.
I’m having the same issue with my car (USA) and the dealership can’t seem to find what’s wrong. They can’t even get the car to make the noise. But as soon as I drive it, it makes the noise. Any chance you can share what it was so I can pass along the message.
When I took the car for the third time for checkup I even gave them the link to this forum but the service manager said it wasn’t specific enough otherwise he could have checked more specifically based on what was posted here. Please share with me if you can any additional info so I can guide them to what wrong with my car.

Appreciate it if you can help my friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I am glad to have found this conversation.

Today is July 12, 2021 and my car is currently at the dealership for this issue. To recap, just as others have stated before, there is a "metallic" or "grinding" sound that comes from somewhere in the engine bay, right in front of the steering wheel. It is almost like a loud sound of "paper being torn". The issue happens in both eco and sport mode. The issue only happens during deceleration, and only when the car had been moving faster than 35 mph. For example, if I accelerate to 40mph and then brake, then as the speedometer passes the 30mph-25mph range, there is an abnormal sound that occurs. The sound starts as the speedometer needle hits 30mph and ends when it passes 25mph. At first the Hyundai mechanic could not replicate this, and I believe it was because he was not achieving the 40mph speed before decelerating. He was going to chalk it up to rotors needing a turn, but there are no rotor issues. I was able to convince him to ride along with me in the car so that I could demonstrate the conditions above. The noise was quite evident during the ride along, and once he understood the conditions, he was able to replicate them independently with his shop foreman. They noted an issue with 2nd gear and elevated it to Hyundai Tech Line. Tech Line has advised them to do further inspection of the Chassis before ruling this out as a faulty transmission. This inspection will occur on July 13th, 2021. Once I have received an update, I will update all of you. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks,
TJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is an update since last post. Today is July 21st, and my car has been at the Koon's Hyundai Dealership in Woodbridge VA since the first post on July 12th. The chassis inspection occurred on July 13th as scheduled, and confirmed a faulty transmission. The service agent could not provide more details other than they were waiting for Hyundai Tech Line to respond and authorize a warranty replacement of the transmission. Approval was received on July 16th, and a transmission was ordered, expected to arrive today. I have not received an update on the status of this delivery as promised by the service agent, so will likely have to call this afternoon and confirm they have the part in hand. I was told the transmission replacement would take one day to complete once parts are in hand, and am hopeful to have my vehicle back by the end of the week. On a side note, there is a long waiting list for loaner cars at this particular dealership, and and they will not provide a rental car.
Next update will occur once my vehicle has been returned to me. I am hoping this is a permanent fix.

Thanks,
TJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts