Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

What do you think of Ioniq 5 19 inch wheel design?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most Ioniq 5 we have seen to date have the 20 inch wheels and I like the saw blade design and how it ties into the vehicle styling. Depending on trim prices, I may have to consider the RWD Limited or AWD/RWD SEL which gets 19 inch wheels rather than the AWD Limited with the 20 inch wheels. I don’t mind 19 inch wheels if it’s a good design and they don't look undersized on the Ioniq 5. After all, they will increase range and decrease replacement tire cost.

I’m curious about the 19 inch wheel choice Hyundai will put on US-bound vehicles. The only other Ioniq 5 wheel I’ve seen is what’s in the picture which is a 19 inch. I’m not loving the look. It’s not a technical design like the 20 inchers and looks too floral in my opinion. Has anyone seen the Ioniq 5 with other 19 inch wheel designs? What do you think of this wheel design pictured?

Reactions: woods

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 19" are a cheaper option in Belgium, and they're better for ride comfort and range, so easy choice for me.
Same design for 19" in Belgium as well, no other choices. I would call them hooks rather than floral, but there just taste.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 19" are a cheaper option in Belgium, and they're better for ride comfort and range, so easy choice for me.
Same design for 19" in Belgium as well, no other choices. I would call them hooks rather than floral, but there just taste.
Do you have any close-up pictures of the 19 inch?

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
20 Posts
Most Ioniq 5 we have seen to date have the 20 inch wheels and I like the saw blade design and how it ties into the vehicle styling. Depending on trim prices, I may have to consider the RWD Limited or AWD/RWD SEL which gets 19 inch wheels rather than the AWD Limited with the 20 inch wheels. I don’t mind 19 inch wheels if it’s a good design and they don't look undersized on the Ioniq 5. After all, they will increase range and decrease replacement tire cost.

I’m curious about the 19 inch wheel choice Hyundai will put on US-bound vehicles. The only other Ioniq 5 wheel I’ve seen is what’s in the picture which is a 19 inch. I’m not loving the look. It’s not a technical design like the 20 inchers and looks too floral in my opinion. Has anyone seen the Ioniq 5 with other 19 inch wheel designs? What do you think of this wheel design pictured?

View attachment 34294
I think these look better than the 20 inchers. Just my humble opinion though 🤷🏻‍♂️
19” is also better for ride and range.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't love the 19", but i do actually prefer them to the 20" design, so once you add in the range and comfort benefits it's a no-brainer.

Unfortunately i don't think i'll get the option of the LR AWD model with 19" wheels here in Australia. Has it been confirmed that the AWD models have a higher towing capacity? That is the only real reason i'd want the AWD model over the RWD (the 2s+ faster acceleration sounds nice for bragging rights but realistically isn't important to me).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has it been confirmed that the AWD models have a higher towing capacity?
The UK spec sheet says both RWD and AWD can tow 1600 kg (braked) / 750 kg (unbraked) with the 72.6 kW battery. The 58kW battery only lists 750 kg (unbraked). Looks like it's about the battery not the drivetrain or wheels. I hope we get the choice, but I reckon you'll be right in that the "top spec" AWD LR model will get the 20" wheels with the worst range.

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
17 Posts
The UK spec sheet says both RWD and AWD can tow 1600 kg (braked) / 750 kg (unbraked) with the 73.6 kW battery. The 58kW battery only lists 750 kg (unbraked). Looks like it's about the battery not the drivetrain or wheels. I hope we get the choice, but I reckon you'll be right in that the "top spec" AWD LR model will get the 20" wheels with the worst range.

Curious to know what the tow capacity is for the Canadian version as it will get the 77.4 kWh battery. I don't mind the 19" wheels at all, I am choosing to go with the option that provides the most range and my deposit went down on a RWD Preferred LR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Curious to know what the tow capacity is for the Canadian version as it will get the 77.4 kWh battery. I don't mind the 19" wheels at all, I am choosing to go with the option that provides the most range and my deposit went down on a RWD Preferred LR
I've not been to Canada, but i'm surprised the AWD doesn't hold value for winter driving there? From the post someone made on Reddit about the Canadian trim options it looks to me like you guys miss out on a lot of what i would have considered 'basic' features (at this price point) unless you take the Ultimate package?

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
17 Posts
I've not been to Canada, but i'm surprised the AWD doesn't hold value for winter driving there? From the post someone made on Reddit about the Canadian trim options it looks to me like you guys miss out on a lot of what i would have considered 'basic' features (at this price point) unless you take the Ultimate package?
Imho, AWD is not a 100% necessity in Canada but could be dependent where one lives and what they do for work. It is a nice feature to have for sure if used but having grown up in the prairies of Saskatchewan w RWD in the 70's w very cold and snowy winters I personally don't need AWD on the West Coast of Canada where we live at sea level w mild temps in Vancouver where it rains alot. However head into the mtns or to Whistler or the interior of BC and AWD is helpful for sure but snow tires and RWD can work if you know how to drive as seen by friends w LR Model 3's

I have not compared Canadian trim options to other countries but the RWD preferred option works for me because the AWD version would operate in rwd mode the majority of the year where I live. So I figure what's the point, less range and more weight. If I need to make a trip in the winter it would even be worse range when -5° c or colder, at that point will use the other AWD ICE vehicle.

I am just hoping the preferred RWD comes in at right price to qualify for all $8k in rebates

·
Registered
26 Posts
Imho, AWD is not a 100% necessity in Canada but could be dependent where one lives and what they do for work. It is a nice feature to have for sure if used but having grown up in the prairies of Saskatchewan w RWD in the 70's w very cold and snowy winters I personally don't need AWD on the West Coast of Canada where we live at sea level w mild temps in Vancouver where it rains alot. However head into the mtns or to Whistler or the interior of BC and AWD is helpful for sure but snow tires and RWD can work if you know how to drive as seen by friends w LR Model 3's
And as mentioned in other places in this forum, don't forget that EVs are a lot heavier, meaning they have more grip by default, so going AWD is less of a necessity than with regular ICEs.

·
Super Moderator
1,781 Posts
My most stressful driving experience in life was once (in the 90s) when I attended a conference in Banff in the Rocky Mountains during which a lot of snow came down. Driving from there back to the airport in Calgary, without having had such experiences whatsoever (being from a flat and mild country) was almost killing. The road was so slippery that every 2 or 3 km there was a car aside, slipped from the road. As this road goes up and down a lot, each time I purposely crossed a top as slowly as possible and let the car roll down as freely as possible ending up down with a much higher speed than I would have preferred; I survived (and was in time for my flight). I would have loved to have the AWD Ioniq 5 there with special Snow driving mode...

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
17 Posts
My most stressful driving experience in life was once (in the 90s) when I attended a conference in Banff in the Rocky Mountains during which a lot of snow came down. Driving from there back to the airport in Calgary, without having had such experiences whatsoever (being from a flat and mild country) was almost killing. The road was so slippery that every 2 or 3 km there was a car aside, slipped from the road. As this road goes up and down a lot, each time I purposely crossed a top as slowly as possible and let the car roll down as freely as possible ending up down with a much higher speed than I would have preferred; I survived (and was in time for my flight). I would have loved to have the AWD Ioniq 5 there with special Snow driving mode...
Haha I hear you if you have never experienced it it can be eye opening that's for sure especially if one has never had experience driving in it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is ther a 18 inches wheel compatilbe with IONIQ 5 ?
Not as original equipment from the factory but aftermarket is always available by matching lug nut spacing pattern and offset. Tire size can be adjusted to match overall diameter of original equipment so speedometer/odometer are accurate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts