Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
The garage are saying they can't find a parasitic drain even though the AA did. The 12 volt battery needs replacement but whether that was the cause seems moot. One idea I had was, could the proximity of the key fob be an issue. I have recently been keeping it in a hallway only about 15-20 feet from the car, I used to keep the fob in the kitchen maybe 40 feet away and in a RFID wallet which I stopped doing for no good reason. Maybe the garage has been keeping the fob well away from the car whilst they are testing it. Could this be an issue does anyone think?
15 feet should be more than far enough away. But you could try moving it further away. There isn't a light on in the boot or anything? Or door or bonnet not shut properly. Is the app reporting that all doors are closed etc?

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
50 Posts
Hi
All doors etc are closed and the AA also checked whether the key proximity was a possible, that looked like a no by directly using that whilst he was monitoring.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I'll see what the garage says but they don't particularly like being told stuff, e.g. when given AA feedback, I'll get, "yes but we'll do our own investigation".
Fair enough, assuming they know what they are doing........

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
50 Posts
The car is now back in the dealer hopefully until the fault manifests itself there.
When I plug in a voltmeter into a power socket I see approx 12.5 when not under load then if I for instance I turn on the rear screen demister the voltage goes up to 13.7 or higher than back to 12.5 ish when the demister is turned off. So simplistically it looks like the DC to DC is working which was also said by the AA on one of their 3 visits....
When I switch on accessories only mode, I get about 12.2 ish I haven't left that on for any length of time tho.
Looks like a random drain when something doesn't shut down when the car is powered off. I have also told the garage about the reports of faulty media units not switching off properly which I don't think they were aware of. We shall see.......

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
783 Posts
When I plug in a voltmeter into a power socket I see approx 12.5 when not under load then if I for instance I turn on the rear screen demister the voltage goes up to 13.7 or higher than back to 12.5 ish when the demister is turned off. When I switch on accessories only mode, I get about 12.2 ish I haven't left that on for any length of time.
If the voltage is immediately dropped to 12.5 with the car switched on it seems the system is thinking the battery is filled up fully. With 12.2 on ACC mode the battery is not fully charged.

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
50 Posts
From memory the old battery was only showing 12.0 - 12.2 max on accessory mode, so this one is better, although that didn't stop it dropping to 3, yes three volts, the other day overnight.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
56 Posts
Out of curiosity, is the car being parked on a steep hill?

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
56 Posts
I'm wondering if some of the top of the lead plates are not fully submerged in the electrolyte when parked on a hill, as I've only recently learned about off-road 12v batteries that are designed to avoid this problem, if it is a problem when the battery is discharging/charging.

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
50 Posts
OK, makes sense for those situations.

Spoke to a mechanic at Hyundai today they can't find a parasitic drain yet. One idea they are exploring is that I usually leave a USB stick (music) plugged in, although I took it out when I took the car into the dealer. They are going to see if that might keep the media console 'awake'. Here's hoping.............

·
Registered
807 Posts
OK, makes sense for those situations.

Spoke to a mechanic at Hyundai today they can't find a parasitic drain yet. One idea they are exploring is that I usually leave a USB stick (music) plugged in, although I took it out when I took the car into the dealer. They are going to see if that might keep the media console 'awake'. Here's hoping.............
I have a USB music stick permanently plugged into the USB point on the centre console. So far in 2 years I have not had any 12v battery problems, addmitently I have a 28Kw not the 38Kw that you have.

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
50 Posts
I did read somewhere that 'some' 28's had a media console issue which caused a battery drain and that was fixed by replacing the unit. Looks like yours was fine.
Hoping it's a recurrence on the 38s, otherwise it's a random thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So it's been a while since I started this thread but I haven't been able to make any progress on this fault.

I've taken the car to the dealership 3 times and they have no idea what's wrong with it. I feel like I'm going crazy, I never thought it would be this difficult to fix.

In the time between making this thread and now I've been on multiple road trips which have enabled me to track the 12V battery in more detail. I can say for a certainty that driving the car never charges the 12V battery. It continually depletes until I plug in to charge the main battery, rinse and repeat. They've made no mention either of the battery saver + mode which is meant to prevent the 12V battery from completely depleting but failed to do so.

I think I'll have to try another dealership but I'm getting towards my wits end.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Alternatively, go higher up the chain to Hyundai.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
50 Posts
So my 38 has been in twice for a dead 12 volt battery, but the main battery is definitely charging the 12volt, when the car is booted up I can see it via a plug in voltmeter, goes up to 14.7 ish. My problem is when the car is left overnight. Reading around this and other forums, Blue link seems a possible culprit so I've uninstalled it 2 weeks ago, fingers crossed so far it's been ok. If yours isn't charging at all surely the dealer can see that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So my 38 has been in twice for a dead 12 volt battery, but the main battery is definitely charging the 12volt, when the car is booted up I can see it via a plug in voltmeter, goes up to 14.7 ish. My problem is when the car is left overnight. Reading around this and other forums, Blue link seems a possible culprit so I've uninstalled it 2 weeks ago, fingers crossed so far it's been ok. If yours isn't charging at all surely the dealer can see that?
Just curious. How did you uninstall Bluelink? Did you reset it from the centre console?

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
50 Posts
All I've done is uninstall it from my phone, I'm hoping that means the car isn't trying to communicate back and forth. Could be wrong......

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the car will still send data to the servers, stuff like the trip data and any other data that Hyundai collects from the car that is not on the app. I will say that by not having the app on your phone will reduce the amount of times the car speaks to the server though as you won't be checking the app.
You could maybe check this by reinstalling the app to see if it has your recent trip data or can you check through a web browser? I don't know if you can

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
50 Posts
hmmm, very good idea, might think about that, but I was just going to leave Bluelink alone for the foreseeable then see if the problem comes back (get the dealer) to investigate further

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
50 Posts
one thing, I did used to get loads of error messages on Bluelink, mainly saying the doors aren't locked when they were locked. Don't know if anyone else sees this?

·
Registered
179 Posts
All I've done is uninstall it from my phone, I'm hoping that means the car isn't trying to communicate back and forth. Could be wrong......
I don't think just uninstalling it from the phone will make any difference. The app doesn't make any calls to the car unless you ask it to. The car will still be communicating with the Bluelink servers. It does this after every power down as far as I can tell regardless of whether you open the app on your phone or not.
To really test whether bluelink is causing the issue, you should unlink the bluelink from within the car's setting. Note that if you do this, you will lose all your radio stations and sat nav history, so you'll have to add them again. I believe that doing that should stop it communicating with the servers, but it may not, it may still send data back to Hyundai.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts