Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isent the charger fill up 12v battery when charging hybried battery?or do we need to maintain the 12v battery with an other charger for 12v?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Charging the hybrid battery does not not directly charge the 12volt battery. However via the menu Settings>Other features> Aux battery saver on will cause the main battery to top the 12volt battery automatically.

Reactions: akkin4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charging the hybrid battery does not not directly charge the 12volt battery. However via the menu Settings>Other features> Aux battery saver on will cause the main battery to top the 12volt battery automatically.
Could not find the aux battery saver,i have ioniq 2018 PHEV.Maybe it charge auto matic?But i also read in instruction book that we should drive the car at list one time evry week,so im not sure.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,218 Posts
I've hooked up a multimeter to my 12V battery a few times to see what happens when plugged in, and sometimes it charges at 14.something for the first half hour or so while other times it doesn't. I guess the car decides for itself whether it thinks the 12V battery needs it or not.

In theory the 12V battery is charged from the DC-DC converter whenever the car is on and ready to drive (i.e. started with your foot on the brake pedal), but monitoring with OBD I've twice witnessed it humming along in the low 12.somethings even though I was cruising on the highway. Eventually it jumped back up to 14.something, and other times it just floats along at 13.8V. I think the programmers tried to be too smart for their own good instead of just putting 13.8V on the battery whenever the car is running like a good old fashioned alternator would do, and sometimes their algorithm blows it and lets the battery get too low which is when you start having problems.

Some folks swear by topping it up with a smart charger once a month, I've only ever connected mine to a smart charger when the 12V battery has failed overnight. After that it comes back and works fine again for months, so there probably is some value in hooking it up to a smart charger every now and again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my battery change on warranty,the dealership told this new battery is better then the old one.We talked abouth my changing solenoid in charge mechanism,and it was at this check they discover the 12v was damage to,so i will buy me a smart charger to avoid this to happend again.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The 12V battery is being charged when the traction battery is being charged. The 12V battery normally shows between 12 and 12.5V but if the grannie or my podpoint charger is charging(NOT JUST PLUGGED IN) it shows about 13.6V. It is for this reason I charge the traction battery at the Low setting on the grannie charger, so that the 12V gets a longer charge. This also saves me from using a smart charger.

This applies to my UK 2017 phev and probably all PHEV's. The big problem is not using the car so much in these days of covid or leaving doors(and interior lights) or the radio on. Edit: WITH THE CAR NOT SWITCHED ON... car off is bad with lights and radio on.

The Battery Saver+ option is accessed via the steering wheel buttons while you are in park. Driver options. In 2017 it was defaulted to OFF, later models ON, more recent cars, you can't turn it off.

The 12V Aux battery has a 24 month warrenty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 12V battery is being charged when the traction battery is being charged. The 12V battery normally shows between 12 and 12.5V but if the grannie or my podpoint charger is charging(NOT JUST PLUGGED IN) it shows about 13.6V. It is for this reason I charge the traction battery at the Low setting on the grannie charger, so that the 12V gets a longer charge. This also saves me from using a smart charger.

This applies to my UK 2017 phev and probably all PHEV's. The big problem is not using the car so much in these days of covid or leaving doors(and interior lights) or the radio on. Edit: WITH THE CAR NOT SWITCHED ON... car off is bad with lights and radio on.

The Battery Saver+ option is accessed via the steering wheel buttons while you are in park. Driver options. In 2017 it was defaulted to OFF, later models ON, more recent cars, you can't turn it off.

The 12V Aux battery has a 24 month warrenty.
Okay,thanks we have 5 years warranty for evrything in Norway(consumer,s right)Yea my battery saver is activatet.Will be expensive when the warranty go out 1100 us dollar for a single battery,wow.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Plug in Hybrid Premier SE
20 Posts
I've hooked up a multimeter to my 12V battery a few times to see what happens when plugged in, and sometimes it charges at 14.something for the first half hour or so while other times it doesn't. I guess the car decides for itself whether it thinks the 12V battery needs it or not.

In theory the 12V battery is charged from the DC-DC converter whenever the car is on and ready to drive (i.e. started with your foot on the brake pedal), but monitoring with OBD I've twice witnessed it humming along in the low 12.somethings even though I was cruising on the highway. Eventually it jumped back up to 14.something, and other times it just floats along at 13.8V. I think the programmers tried to be too smart for their own good instead of just putting 13.8V on the battery whenever the car is running like a good old fashioned alternator would do, and sometimes their algorithm blows it and lets the battery get too low which is when you start having problems.

Some folks swear by topping it up with a smart charger once a month, I've only ever connected mine to a smart charger when the 12V battery has failed overnight. After that it comes back and works fine again for months, so there probably is some value in hooking it up to a smart charger every now and again.
I have charged my 12v Battery with a smart charger (CTEK) connected to the battery without disconnecting the leads and would like confirmation that the charging voltage whilst running the ioniq PHEV are correct.
Before the voltage while running the car was a constant 14.4v and now it can fluctuate between 12,5v and 13.6v occasionally rising to 14.3v before dropping back to 12.5v. Do think this is correct or have I damaged the electronics of the car by not disconnecting the leads. I measure the voltage whilst the car is being driven on the motorway..your help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Meter readings at BATTERY terminals:-
When car OFF 12.5V (or less)
When car ON 14.4V
When PHEV (and probably EV) charging(not just plugged in... 13.6V (the car is really partially on as it displays the time to 100% SOC and the %SOC when the door is opened.)

I have a small solar panel attached at all times... Not when above voltages noted.
I also charge with a "Smart" charger without disconnecting the terminals.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you saying I have damaged the electronics as the voltage is not showing 14.4v when the vehicle is running?

·
Registered
488 Posts
No. How are you seeing 14.3V etc at the battery terminals when you are driving? Are you using a device in the cigar lighter socket?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes I have a device in the cigar lighter that shows voltage when running. It used to show 14.4v constantly before I charged the 12v battery now it ahows anything from 12,5v to 13.6v , hope i havent blown anything.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Glad you weren't in the boot and driving. All I was saying is that my experience is at the battery.
You could have actually fully charged the 12V Aux battery to say 12.6V for the first time and now the DC to DC converter doesn't need to work as hard. I suspect lots of 12V batteries arrive in brand new cars in a poorly charged state and never reach a full charge during their lives.
I do not have any data from the cigar lighter although I did have some odb2 data but no memory of it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The way the ioniq steers itself and with intelligent cruise control i could have been in the boot. Do you leave your smart charger on the 12v battery overnight and what type is it?

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,218 Posts
I have charged my 12v Battery with a smart charger (CTEK) connected to the battery without disconnecting the leads and would like confirmation that the charging voltage whilst running the ioniq PHEV are correct.
Before the voltage while running the car was a constant 14.4v and now it can fluctuate between 12,5v and 13.6v occasionally rising to 14.3v before dropping back to 12.5v. Do think this is correct or have I damaged the electronics of the car by not disconnecting the leads. I measure the voltage whilst the car is being driven on the motorway..your help would be appreciated.
That matches what I've seen in my car before ever attaching a battery charger to it, as I described in the second paragraph of the post you quoted. It's normal, but stupid. Hyundai should have just programmed their DC-DC converter to output 13.8V at all times like an old fashioned alternator instead of trying to make it smart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for replying and putting my mind at rest, thought I might have done some damage using a smart charger with the battery still connected. The Manual says don't do it and the dealer I phoned said I could. I agree why not just charge at a standard rate . Even so not very encouraging having a flat batter after only 14days of ownership. I have now bought a booster pack just in case. A great entry into buying my first EV. Again thanks. Paul

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's a LIDL £15 special... Yes, I leave it charging overnight and It stops charging, when it thinks the battery is full. After the overnight charge, I tend to tell the charger to try again, it charges and I return an hour later. It does have other features that make it slightly smarter.

Using the grannie charger at Low (1.4kW) charge rate for a full 9kWh charge will allow the 12V battery to see charging for 6 hours.

I have another old style 6/12V charger with a trickle/full power charge with an ammeter. This one would just carry on but is capable of reviving a 12V from a low of 7V etc. I would not use this on the ioniq.

Sorry... I was replying...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks BlueNev , it might pay me to get a cheap charger I'm using a CTEX MSX7 at the moment which has an anti sulphation stage which on some reports may damage the car. It seems I have been lucky to date and hopefully not done any damage . Who thought we would be having to charge up new cars. Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts