Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq HEV Premium SE h-GDi Blue (UK)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

TL;DR - I don't know what 12V battery to put in my 2017 HEV UK model to replace a dead one and need to order one ASAP as mine has died

The manual suggests it would be something like a model "AGM60L-DIN" (but acknowledges specs may be different). The rescue company guy was talking about searching for "Prius AGM" as it needs a Start/Stop battery - which confuses me further. I wonder now if he thought it was a Prius, but at least he mentions AGM and upon reading up, it seems reasonable that since it's a hybrid and has regenerative braking that this would be used.

But... the battery already in there from the previous owner (or Cazoo who sold me it) is a Platinum Prestige and this seems to be the lowest "Conventional" range and not AGM at all Automotive Batteries | Platinum International Limited

And I would think the previous owner/Cazoo have just dumped something in there and that's why it hasnt retained charge, but then when I type my registration into Euro Car Parts it gives me these two suggestions - and the latter I note says "077" just like the Platinum Prestige

Ive been through the manual and a dozen pages of search results on this forum but really can't find a definitive source for exactly what I should be putting in there.

Background Story

My Hyundai must have detected I was at a competing dealer today as just after we left, briefly sitting in the car with air conditioning on while I shoved a burger in my face for less than three minutes, it started going nuts with random alerts, the dashboard flickering in and out, etc. After several retries it seemed to be getting progressively less responsive so I assumed it was the battery.

Luckily we were outside Halfords. Unluckily, panic checking what I could buy before they closed nothing there seemed to fit so I had to call Green Flag out.

Hopefully I've setup my signature correctly, but it's a 2017 HEV UK model - meaning there's a 12V battery in the boot. When the GF guy arrived he tested it and confirmed that was it, then tried to jump start from the connectors in the front (and as I later read in the manual this seems to be the way to do it). That didn't work so he had to wiggle between car seats into the boot (locked and inoperable due to the battery :() and charge it enough there for me to start it.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The OEM battery was a regular flooded lead acid, an AGM is an OK upgrade that will likely outlast the OEM. The 2016/17 non-North American models are the only ones with this configuration, all the other HEVs have a lithium 12 volt battery under the rear seat with the traction battery.

Based on owner posts from BEV/PHEV owners, you can only find a slide in replacement from the dealer. All others require some fiddling/modification of the leads because of unique post placement (or something like that) but very doable. Possibly that has already happened with the battery that is now in there so simply replacing that with the same model will be easy.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
990 Posts
Take the measurements of the battery you have, and also note carefully the layout of the posts. Have been many posts about this issue, and I the best fit I think people have found is a Yuasa. I use tayna.co.uk for my replacements, and with careful hunting you should be able to match it in there. Also take note of whether the battery needs the sticking-out lip on the bottom to hold it in, or whether it has a strap/clamp at the top, occasionally someone's had to do a small mod to cope with a difference there.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq HEV Premium SE h-GDi Blue (UK)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks to both of you for the responses. I took them into account while spending a good portion of Sunday battery hunting.

Indeed, I had to remove the whole battery and measure it precisely to see what would fit. At this point I cursed having two child car seats and not removing them first as I shut the boot only to realise then the only way to get power again would be through the mechanical key in the front door. Not a fun weekend.

The battery that was already fit, the Platinum Prestige, just isn't available anywhere I could see.

In the end I went for what was listed as a 077 battery by Eurocarparts - the Exide battery I listed above.

It came today and was a fraction taller but the metal bracket inside the battery compartment - although difficult to do the back screw tight - had it fit snugly with no adjustments or fiddling and it seems to have worked fine. The polarity is the positive anode is in the front left and that's also part of what limits battery options I think.

However I still feel like this isn't ideal because that explicitly says it's not for start-stop engines (and neither was the Platinum) - and not sure how a hybrid would not fit that category.

In any case, worked on a brief test drive and I'll be regularly testing to not be caught out again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Call all dealers around and ask for the battery, should be around £100 (in the UK). I called a few dealers and was told that it might take up to a month to be delivered because is coming from Korea, but one of them had it in stock, is exactly the same size and spec. Take the old one out, put the new one in and you're good to go.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Buying yet-another Delkor from the dealer at ~£100 is surely rather an expensive way to go! Yuasa are reputable, AA reckon they're rugged, and I believe they have suitable ones for plugin as well as the BEV. Terminal posts may be different layout to this must be checked carefully!
But my next battery is likely to be a Leisure battery, not a conventional ICE engine-cranking one, as apparently Leisures can be discharged down to around 20% without damage, so more chance of it surviving a vampire attack I think!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Interesting it's a 45 Ah - the 38 kWh Ev gets a 40 Ah, or did as the OEM fitting. Was the previous one 45 Ah?

·
Registered
62 Posts
For those of us in North America (where I can't seem to buy an Exide battery :( ), a battery SIZE with the same dimensions is the BCI 140, or BCI 140R.

This is based on comparing the Excid EB501 (Exide Excell EB501 SPEC) to this battery, found at Canadian Tire (CAD$171 plus core charge):
MotoMaster Group Size 140R (H4/L1) Battery, 445 CCA

The dimensions are an almost perfect match (the EB501 is 207mm long)
Maximum Overall Dimensions (L x W x H): 8-1/4" L X 6-7/8" W X 7-1/2" H (210 x 175 x 190 mm)
Polarity: Left Hand Positive

For a Napa battery, this battery is size 140R (CAD$239 plus core charge:
And this one even boasts of being a Calcium alloy.

Length8.25 in
Height7.5 in
Width6.875 in
Positive Terminal LocationTop Right

I thought that the NAPA 140R battery would work, and it is the correct size, but the positive terminal is on the wrong side. In the US, this INCORRECT battery is Part #: BAT 75140R. In Canada, the same battery is part BPF 140R5. The manufacturer (East Penn Mfg., Co. ) item number is the same for both: 5140RMF

I'm not sure why the Canadian Tire battery is listed as a 140R, when it should be group size 140 (with a left hand positive terminal).

Here's to hoping this Canadian Tire battery fits...

ChrisP in Kitchener
2018 Ioniq PHEV Limited

[edited to remove the Napa battery after I realized the positive terminal is on the wrong side, and provide the polarity from the Canadian Tire website]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts