Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
On my Ioniq Plugin Hybrid 2017, I have now twice been in a situation where the car needed to be jump started with cables because there was no power on the 12 volt battery.
First time the light in the trunk had been on all night (6-7 hours) because the trunk was not completely closed. Second time I had been using the radio for about 45 minutes without the motor running.
I would think the battery should be able to handle both of these situations without running dry (at least the 45 minutes of radio).
Is this something that I should expect to be normal?
Or is something wrong?
Regards
Leif

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you still within warranty? Get your main dealer to sort it out.

Reactions: bluioniq

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
25 Posts
I would think the battery should be able to handle both of these situations without running dry (at least the 45 minutes of radio).
Hi Leif, unfortunately no. The 12v found on hybrid/ev is typically much smaller and incapable of the kind of use you’d expect from a typical car battery. This is a fairly common problem across the spectrum.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
736 Posts
Angrymoose is right. Because the engine doesn't have to idle for the car to be on, the expectation is that you wouldn't turn it off while you're in it using the HVAC or infotainment functions. So the battery is very small.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
72 Posts
Further more the average life of a battery is 3 to five years, so yours perhaps has given up earlier than you would like but running up to a winter now would be a good time to replace it,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts