Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I've had the ioniq for a year about two weeks now and here is my review.

I drive for Uber in Ottawa and this is my first electric car. The car has given me zero trouble expect for the blower motor needing to be replaced at around 50k due to a defect.

In the summer the most I got in range was 270 km.

When it was -40 for the whole month in January, I got 130km. This definitely made me dislike the car and made me wish I went with the leaf. But it is what it is.

The car is very comfortable. I am 5'11 which is g my fault and I'm 350 pounds which is my fault. I do around 4-5 hour shifts twice a day and the car seats are pretty good. Wish I went up a trim to get lumber support thought but oo well next time.

Top speed is 180kmph tested. Very strudy car. Although what I notice now is that the suspension at 80k has started to become clunky. I do have an extended warranty so I will take the car in to have everything changed.

The car seeing that it's very low does not absorb shocks very well. I hope they make a smoother ride in the next release.

How do I like the car? I like owning an EV. I've done 650km in one day. Have done Montreal and back many times. With that being said, I will definitely be trading in for a Chevy bolt or the new ioniq with the 39kw battery which in based on my estimate should get from 350-390km in the summer and 180-220 in the winter.

And it had app support which is very important for ev cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks for the brief review. It's much appreciated. I'm at 40k after about 14 months. Good to see an IONIQ with higher mileage and that it's still performing perfectly. Btw, out of interest, how much of your charging is at Fast Chargers vs L2 chargers. Have you noticed any battery degradation yet?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hello everyone. So I've had the ioniq for a year about two weeks now and here is my review.

I drive for Uber in Ottawa and this is my first electric car. The car has given me zero trouble expect for the blower motor needing to be replaced at around 50k due to a defect.

When it was -40 for the whole month in January, I got 130km. This definitely made me dislike the car and made me wish I went with the leaf. But it is what it is.

The car is very comfortable. I am 5'11 which is g my fault and I'm 350 pounds which is my fault. I do around 4-5 hour shifts twice a day and the car seats are pretty good. Wish I went up a trim to get lumber support thought but oo well next time.

Top speed is 180kmph tested. Very strudy car. Although what I notice now is that the suspension at 80k has started to become clunky. I do have an extended warranty so I will take the car in to have everything changed.

The car seeing that it's very low does not absorb shocks very well. I hope they make a smoother ride in the next release.

How do I like the car? I like owning an EV. I've done 650km in one day. Have done Montreal and back many times. With that being said, I will definitely be trading in for a Chevy bolt or the new ioniq with the 39kw battery which in based on my estimate should get from 350-390km in the summer and 180-220 in the winter.

I wonder if they have aftermarket shocks that would help the rear absorb bumps better, it could need softer shocks or softer spring rates, but not sure as the battery weighs quite a bit in the rear of the vehicle.

For example look at this video:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Springs and shock absorbers need to be matched for optimum performance

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the brief review. It's much appreciated. I'm at 40k after about 14 months. Good to see an IONIQ with higher mileage and that it's still performing perfectly. Btw, out of interest, how much of your charging is at Fast Chargers vs L2 chargers. Have you noticed any battery degradation yet?
In the winter when it was -40C for a month I fast chargerd maybe 5 times a week. There were times were I had to do twice a day. Now back to summer I'm getting 264 when fully charged to 100 in the morning so I haven't seen any degradation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I wonder if they have aftermarket shocks that would help the rear absorb bumps better, it could need softer shocks or softer spring rates, but not sure as the battery weighs quite a bit in the rear of the vehicle.

For example look at this video:
I'd really be interested in that. Something more comfortable for myself and the passengers. On rough roads it's very harsh.

·
Registered
432 Posts
For road use use, rather than track of course, I like Bilstein B14 s on my other cars, but I don't know if they are available for the Ioniq.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Excellent. Seems like you put your car through it's pace. I'm doubtful the Bolt or the Leaf can muster this kind of durability. I've been in those 2 cars and frankly they're flimsy and don't feel solid at all. Too bad they don't make a 200km range PHEV that doesn't cost $100K

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent. Seems like you put your car through it's pace. I'm doubtful the Bolt or the Leaf can muster this kind of durability. I've been in those 2 cars and frankly they're flimsy and don't feel solid at all. Too bad they don't make a 200km range PHEV that doesn't cost $100K
The only downside to the ioniq is in the winter you get 150km while the leaf gets 220. In the summer though they both get 270-280

·
Registered
664 Posts
The only downside to the ioniq is in the winter you get 150km while the leaf gets 220. In the summer though they both get 270-280
I do not see how the range in the leaf drops only about 22% in winter while the Ioniq, according to your figures, drops over 50%. They both have broadly speaking the same battery tech. Of course the biggest factor in winter battery range is temperature, so perhaps you are quoting figures for different temperature ranges.
Certainly I can confirm after 2 winters that the minimum on my EV is 240Km, but then I do not get the sort of winter temeratures you do.;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do not see how the range in the leaf drops only about 22% in winter while the Ioniq, according to your figures, drops over 50%. They both have broadly speaking the same battery tech. Of course the biggest factor in winter battery range is temperature, so perhaps you are quoting figures for different temperature ranges.
Certainly I can confirm after 2 winters that the minimum on my EV is 240Km, but then I do not get the sort of winter temeratures you do.;)
What I like about the ioniq is that it has 12kw less than the leaf yet manages to achieve the same range in the summer as the leaf. If The drop is calculated based on the 200km claimed mileage then it's about 25 percent and yes that was during -40 with winter tires and the heater on. Unfortunately this year the whole of January was -40C. The ioniq is much more aerodynamic and I tested this out with a leaf owner on a downhill. We both let go off the accelerator and keep slipping away from him. The new ioniq with the 38kw battery would be perfect for me because see how the 28kw gets me 270 in the summer I'm assuming that the 38kw will get me 360 and hopefully 200 to 250 in the winter.

I spoke to a few leaf and even bolt owners, in -50 leaf owners get 180km and bolt owners get 250

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was today at a little over 100km. I'm gonna start a new thread with the issues I faced which were covered by warranty

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd really be interested in that. Something more comfortable for myself and the passengers. On rough roads it's very harsh.
My impression is the econo-miser tires have a lot to do with noise and ride quality. I may sacrifice a little economy for comfort when it comes time to replace our Ioniq's tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
IronicIoniq
Hyundai IONIQ Forum
A community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts discussing the electric acceleration & reliability of the Hyundai ioniq hybrid.
Full Forum Listing