Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

What MPG do you get?

456K views 586 replies 169 participants last post by  Gedwood 
#1 ·
Over my first 100 miles of mixed driving, I have achieved 45 MPG. After a bit of research, i think i may be driving it incorrectly and should be doing "pulse and go" around town. will try it out tomorrow. I'm hoping my MPG isnt the worst...

#2 ·
what sort of runs have you been doing round town?

I wouldn't worry about pulse and glide yet, just learn a light right foot, keep it out of sport mode for a while,

I am heading for the 80mpg :)

see below I filled up as I left the office in Birmingham 4:30pm tonight down the M5, M6, M1, M25 and M2 home,

77mpg on the 178 mile run

Attachments

#3 ·
Yes, I wouldn't worry about it too much - just try to be conservative on the accelerator. If you're braking a lot, then you're going too fast :)

I am only on my second tank, currently, so nowhere near what bluecar1 does, and my current MPG for the tank is about 55mpg, hindered by the weather, short journeys (school runs mainly), etc. so I am expecting it to improve as I get used to the car.
My Gen2 Prius used to only average 52-53mpg, so the Ioniq already does better than what my Prius ever achieved.

#585 ·
Yes, I wouldn't worry about it too much - just try to be conservative on the accelerator. If you're braking a lot, then you're going too fast :)

I am only on my second tank, currently, so nowhere near what bluecar1 does, and my current MPG for the tank is about 55mpg, hindered by the weather, short journeys (school runs mainly), etc. so I am expecting it to improve as I get used to the car.
My Gen2 Prius used to only average 52-53mpg, so the Ioniq already does better than what my Prius ever achieved.
I had a Ioniq Premium Hybrid for 5 years and it averaged 65mpg mixed driving over that period, unfortunately somebody rear ended it and it was written off, have just purchased a 2021 Premium to replace it only had it 3 days so waiting to see if i get the same returns.

#4 ·
this is the thing, so long as you are getting better mpg than your previous car why worry

the journeys I do suit the Ioniq as most are 60 miles+, the killer to fuel economy with any car with an ICE is short runs where you don't have time for the engine to warm up properly and run efficiently for more time than it took to warm up

the other is not driving it smoothly, the key is to look ahead and anticipate where the traffic will slow down and ease off / coast rather than brake

if you see a dip in the road, ease off to get the car into EV then accelerate gently to build speed (within reason) going into the dip to use the momentum of the car to take you up the hill coming out of the dip, but also on the hill let some of the extra speed drop off by giving it not quite enough gas to keep the speed, these are the sort of things where you are better than smart cruise which tries to use regen braking going down hill and more gas going up hill to keep exact same speed all the way

I tend to use the brakes very little, and rarely have more the 4 green bars on the left hand display, but I don't hold up traffic either

you will get to know your car and if you want to how to get the best economy out of it for the journeys you do

I just want to beat the official 83.1mpg on the run home from the office just once :)

#95 ·
this is the thing, so long as you are getting better mpg than your previous car why worry

the other is not driving it smoothly, the key is to look ahead and anticipate where the traffic will slow down and ease off / coast rather than brake

I tend to use the brakes very little, and rarely have more the 4 green bars on the left hand display, but I don't hold up traffic either
I have been doing that for a while now and like to see how far I can go without braking. Often I find I can just use the brakes to bring the car to a complete standstill and coast at other times. Although doesn't the Ioiniq have a mechanism to give you the sensation of braking when just using regen braking?

#5 ·
It all depends on how, how long and where you drive at what weather conditions. At my daily commute (2x20km) with temps around zero Celsius, it's difficult to keep it above 50mpg. When I drive a longer distance (weekends) it easily goes up again.
So, when driving short distances, the ICE has to run relatively more in order to warm up. That's where the mileage drops rapidly.
As bleucar1 says, get to know your car, be relaxed and your fuel economy will improve.

Let the summer begin please, so we can see what real fuel-consumption this car is capable of.

#9 ·
I'm getting about 54MPG from my hybrid at the moment - I travel from Reading to Newbury every day via the M4. What surprised me was that the MPG going into work was less than when returning later in the day. I would have thought they'd have been the same given the relatively even nature of the terrain overall. I'm hoping to get to 60MPG at which point I'll be delighted!

#12 ·
That's over 20 mpg more than my BMW 530D (£100 per month), and 10mpg more than the Lexus 300h. The more I use the Ioniq, the more I realise the Lexus was bad. There are pros and cons, and maybe I'm just in the honeymoon period, but for me the Ioniq beats the Lexus and leaves 10K in my pocket.

#13 ·
Judge,

I will have to watch my status as the highest mileage Ioniq on here, just looked at your fuelly and 400 miles in a week :)

but I have a 8500 mile head start on you :)

PS don't tell the other half about the fuel savings :)

#19 ·
Zeroed my trip on Monday to check my returns for my commute . On the 17.7 trip to work which starts with a three mile climb from and elevation of 126 metres to 540 metres my mpg showed 70.7 mpg , this dropped to about 65 mpg on the reverse journey . On Wednesday I had a 320 mile round trip from South Wales to Birkenhead . The route was straight up the middle of Wales and back the same way . For those who don't know the topography of the country , this is mainly hill climbs and winding roads with about 10 miles of motorway at the end though the return journey didn't use motorway at all ( on that , has anybody noticed how the SatNAv takes you back on a different route? This has happened three times to me ) . Anyway the economy is now showing as 64.1 mpg , almost in bluecar1 territory ...almost :) , I'll settle for that .

#32 ·
250 miles kent to Manchester tonight I got 81.1mpg(UK) steady 55-60 most of the way up apart from all the road works at 50mph with avg speed cameras, temperature was 17 deg C when I left and 12 deg C Manchester

so close to the 83.1mpg UK official figure, this makes it pretty much practical to do the theoretical journey lands end to john O'Groats on a single tank, also saw my first Ioniq on the road tonight

#33 ·
250 miles kent to Manchester tonight I got 81.1mpg(UK) steady 55-60 most of the way up apart from all the road works at 50mph with avg speed cameras
Oh rejoice ye lucky Ioniq owners (as opposed to owners-to-be).

Did Birmingham to Blackpool and back in my Outlander PHEV on Sunday. Overall average? 40.1 mpg.
And that 50mph roadwork section on the M6 seemed like it would never end. Thank goodness for the speed limiter!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.