Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

First time hybrid owner

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  burban0428 
#1 ·
Bought my Ioniq limited 3 weeks ago. Currently have 1500 miles on it already. First time with a hybrid. Gotta say it's more fun than I ever imagined.
Looking forward to learning more. I've been a moderator of other car foumrs and administrative on Facebook car groups. So I'm typically an active member.

First thing I want to do is reduce some of the road noise inside the car.

#6 ·
Traded a 2018 camry in for the ioniq. Camry was very poor quality unfortunately. Especially in the transmission department. I'm actually going to drive some other ioniqs this weekend with the smaller wheels. I may buy a good set of tires as the Michelin tires it comes with are know for road noise.

welcome to the forum @burban0428

we love active members, but equally happy with quiet members

please update your location (see https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/3-new-member-introductions/17465-how-update-your-location.html ) as it helps know what spec your car is

do you have a cargo screen? as this reduces noise

a couple of other members have added sound proofing to the wheel well as most of the noise comes from lack of sound insulation in the rear of the car

what did you drive before?

any questions just ask
2018 camry was my last car. And yes I have the cargo cover in the back. I'm looking into new tires and some sound proofing in the rear

Welcome to the forum. Vehicle noise is a very subjective thing. Different folks hear different things! I have used a product from Dupli-Color undercoat spray. It is rubberized spray that dries in 10-15 minutes. Found it at my local automotive paint store. I spayed two coats on the spare tire area. I also purchased a spare tire kit and tire. I feel that with both of those in that area it helped with the road noise. I also have a cargo screen that leave closed all the time. If I were more serious I would tackle the rear wheel well area, but at 74 my hearing is not as good so the noise does not bother me so much!
Not a bad idea at all. I'll look into that.

#3 ·
welcome to the forum @burban0428

we love active members, but equally happy with quiet members

please update your location (see https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/3-new-member-introductions/17465-how-update-your-location.html ) as it helps know what spec your car is

do you have a cargo screen? as this reduces noise

a couple of other members have added sound proofing to the wheel well as most of the noise comes from lack of sound insulation in the rear of the car

what did you drive before?

any questions just ask

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Vehicle noise is a very subjective thing. Different folks hear different things! I have used a product from Dupli-Color undercoat spray. It is rubberized spray that dries in 10-15 minutes. Found it at my local automotive paint store. I spayed two coats on the spare tire area. I also purchased a spare tire kit and tire. I feel that with both of those in that area it helped with the road noise. I also have a cargo screen that leave closed all the time. If I were more serious I would tackle the rear wheel well area, but at 74 my hearing is not as good so the noise does not bother me so much!

#8 ·
Smaller wheels with higher profile tires will reduce noise, increase comfort and mpg. Downside is that handling and braking will suffer, but the Ioniq is not a sports car. Appearance often makes all those factors irrelevant for owners. Owning a second set of wheels could prove useful if you live in an area (please update your profile so we know where that is) that benefits from winter tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.