Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Hitch for Ioniq PHEV 2019

28K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  Bgovan64 
#1 · (Edited)
HI guys!
I'm new to this forum,
I'm about to install an hitch for my Ioniq PHEV 2019, did somebody already did this?
I think this is a new feature for the 2019 because every year before, the towing wasn't recommended.
It allows 75kgs
This hitch is going to be used for a bike rack only.
I'm gonna pay 275$ tx included.
Thanks for the info!!

#6 ·
Bike Rack hitch

Hi,
i read the comments from ETRAILER dot com and they confirmed that the Draw-Tite 24963 fits the Ioniq 2019 PHEV altough many sites says it does not fit. Now, in real life, did any one installed the Draw-Tite 24963 on their Ioniq Hybrid PHEV ? Is the frame the same as the Hybrid ? I am kind of torn between some seller that say that the hitch does fit and other sellers that says nah!!
Thanks.

#8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I will double-check with ETrailer comments. Their answer to someones question was: "The Curt Class I Trailer Hitch # C11486 referenced in your question is confirmed to fit your 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid.". I will crawl under the car and check for that molded metal piece... More info later..
Thanks again.

#9 ·
I will crawl under the car and check for that molded metal piece... More info later..
Thanks again.
I have attached a picture of the Curt hitch on the 2019 PHEV. As you can see, the hitch is below where it would match up with the bolt hole. Above the black hitch is a piece on the frame rail that is in the way. I am currently trying to figure out how to get the hitch up and over that piece on the frame so that the bolt holes line up.

Attachments

#12 ·
So, my hitch is successfully installed! A mechanic friend used an air hammer to pound down the offending spot on the frame rail. I also had to spread the hitch a bit because it was a veryy tight fit to get the two sides of the hitch up on the frame rails.

Also, I finally got someone from Curt on the phone. They said that the Curt hitch only fits the hybrid at this time. They are working on a hitch for the PHEV, but they have no timeline for it and they do not know if it will be approved by DOT.

Reactions: Patrick
#18 ·
Hi Everyone. I just installed a hitch on my 2019 Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid this weekend and it looks awesome! It took less than two hours between me and another mechanically inclined friend and a couple of modifications, but nothing that was too difficult.

I called a few local places and the estimates I got were from $450 for a custom fabricated hitch from a muffler shop to ‘can’t do it.’ Thanks to this forum I found the drawtite 24963 but wasn’t entirely convinced by one random answer from eTrailer that contradicted their own site as well as drawtite’s (which was that it only fit the hybrid and NOT the PHEV or EV models). I called drawtite and spoke to a rep there who confirmed the 24963 fit the 2017 PHEV. I decided to take a chance and ordered the drawtite 24963 from eTrailer for about $140.

Prior to ordering I watched a video from eTrailer on the Curt model (it's my first post so it won't let me post the link) and installation was essentially the same on the PHEV with the drawtite model, minus that car lift. We used a corded angle grinder to cut out a small notch from the hitch on the passenger side to account for a frame rail brace (see the picture), but it fit perfectly on the drivers side. We also removed and modified the panel on the driver side. Just to make moving the hitch around under the vehicle a little easier, we temporarily detached the muffler from one pin/bolt thing on the passenger side that we easily reconnected once we were done.

One more note about the notch we cut from the hitch; we did spray paint the cut portion to cover up the exposed metal. Here in Southern California, rust isn’t a big concern, but if you live somewhere that it is, you will definitely want to make sure you don’t have any exposed metal.

All and all it was a pretty straightforward process, we actually spent the most time getting the cutout on the panel just right. Both of us are pretty handy and used to doing things ourselves. The angle grinder is really the only specialized tool needed; there’s no way my little dremel would have cut that hitch. Other than that, just a flathead screwdriver and a ratchet. Probably doable with only one person, but was nice to have a second person since we were lying on the ground under the car rather than having it lifted up in the air. I only intend to use this with a hitch mounted bike rack, I’ve got a small SUV that I can use if I ever needed to tow anything. I attached a few pictures to clarify, feel free to ask questions if I missed anything.

#30 ·
Hi Everyone. I just installed a hitch on my 2019 Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid this weekend and it looks awesome! It took less than two hours between me and another mechanically inclined friend and a couple of modifications, but nothing that was too difficult.

I called a few local places and the estimates I got were from $450 for a custom fabricated hitch from a muffler shop to ‘can’t do it.’ Thanks to this forum I found the drawtite 24963 but wasn’t entirely convinced by one random answer from eTrailer that contradicted their own site as well as drawtite’s (which was that it only fit the hybrid and NOT the PHEV or EV models). I called drawtite and spoke to a rep there who confirmed the 24963 fit the 2017 PHEV. I decided to take a chance and ordered the drawtite 24963 from eTrailer for about $140.

Prior to ordering I watched a video from eTrailer on the Curt model (it's my first post so it won't let me post the link) and installation was essentially the same on the PHEV with the drawtite model, minus that car lift. We used a corded angle grinder to cut out a small notch from the hitch on the passenger side to account for a frame rail brace (see the picture), but it fit perfectly on the drivers side. We also removed and modified the panel on the driver side. Just to make moving the hitch around under the vehicle a little easier, we temporarily detached the muffler from one pin/bolt thing on the passenger side that we easily reconnected once we were done.

One more note about the notch we cut from the hitch; we did spray paint the cut portion to cover up the exposed metal. Here in Southern California, rust isn’t a big concern, but if you live somewhere that it is, you will definitely want to make sure you don’t have any exposed metal.

All and all it was a pretty straightforward process, we actually spent the most time getting the cutout on the panel just right. Both of us are pretty handy and used to doing things ourselves. The angle grinder is really the only specialized tool needed; there’s no way my little dremel would have cut that hitch. Other than that, just a flathead screwdriver and a ratchet. Probably doable with only one person, but was nice to have a second person since we were lying on the ground under the car rather than having it lifted up in the air. I only intend to use this with a hitch mounted bike rack, I’ve got a small SUV that I can use if I ever needed to tow anything. I attached a few pictures to clarify, feel free to ask questions if I missed anything. View attachment 30794 View attachment 30795 View attachment 30796 View attachment 30797 View attachment 30798 View attachment 30799
Curious, how it has held up. Seems that in 2023 they still don’t have a hitch for the 2019 Plug-in Hybrid model.

#19 ·
Probably sufficiently strong enough, but that sharp right angle that you cut into the plate is a huge stress riser. There is an easy fix, just braze or weld a piece of steel over that right angle, but you would have to remove it first.

#21 ·
Too late for you, but for other readers, you can get a good result with just the angle grinder. Stop about a quarter inch on your inward cut from where you show on your picture. On the long edge cut, use a greater than 90 degree angle to cut to the same spot. Now the angle grinder can round out that little bit of excess metal slowly (and carefully) until it fits the frame. It doesn't matter much on this piece but it is good practice to also shave off the sharp edges of the cut you made (which are also stress risers). I work on bicycles a lot and reducing stress risers on lightweight parts is critical. Will matter on this part as well if you actually tow like a BEV owner is talking about in another thread.

A muffler shop can braze a small piece on that part for just a couple of bucks. Two minute job.

#31 ·
Too late for you, but for other readers, you can get a good result with just the angle grinder. Stop about a quarter inch on your inward cut from where you show on your picture. On the long edge cut, use a greater than 90 degree angle to cut to the same spot. Now the angle grinder can round out that little bit of excess metal slowly (and carefully) until it fits the frame. It doesn't matter much on this piece but it is good practice to also shave off the sharp edges of the cut you made (which are also stress risers). I work on bicycles a lot and reducing stress risers on lightweight parts is critical. Will matter on this part as well if you actually tow like a BEV owner is talking about in another thread. A muffler shop can braze a small piece on that part for just a couple of bucks. Two minute job.
Now that we have the hitches on our 2019 ionic PHEV what electrical harness do people use?

#23 ·
I also installed a Curt Trailer Hitch onto my 2019 Ioniq PHEV! With some trail and error with grinding around the notch from the sheet metal on the passenger side, it was able to bolt right up. I had to grind a little bit more than what I showed on the picture but just wanted to give you an idea of what you had to do to make the hitch from the hybrid work on the PHEV. Also added a picture of trimming the plastic trim on the driver side, if you want to keep that in place after the hitch is installed.

Attachments

#42 ·
Should be fine. When I cut mine, I first drilled a hole so the corner had a radius. Also, if the intention is to only use the hitch for a bike rack, the corner that is removed is in a non stress area given it’s a downward force the bike rack is applying which causes upward pressure if any pressure at all at the bolt in this location. At least that’s my thought. Certainly not a professional opinion. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.