Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Headlight upgraded to LED

11K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  MikeC 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I finally did the headlight upgrade to LED. Last year I upgraded my stock headlight bulb to Sylvania Zxe which I think is way better than the stock bulb.

Today I replaced the Sylvania Zxe with Fadyshow H7 LED Headlight which I bought from Amazon. Apparently, this is cheaper than the Sylvania Zxe and the result is way better than Halogen.

For those who want to have a brighter and more white look, this Fadyshow H7 LED will be a good upgrade.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: evioniq
#5 ·
It is definitely brighter than stock bulb. I really hate the stock bulb. It is hard to say whether it is brighter than sylvania zxe but it is whiter and cooler colour.

#7 ·
We had 2 identical Volts for a few years and I had good quality LED's in my wifes, and cheap-ish HID's in mine. I find the HID's to be far superior. I had to wire in a relay to feed the initial higher startup amperage requirements for the ballast, but with that done, they work perfectly.

I'll be installing HID's in our new Ioniq, no question.

#9 ·
When I do the HID upgrade on the Ioniq I could look at doing a write up.

I'm hoping that the wiring Hyundai used to feed the existing bulbs is a little better gauge vs what GM used on our Volt, and accordingly, it won't need a relay setup to fire off the ballast reliably. Won't know until I actually go for the install.

#12 ·
Thanks in advance if you can put together a how to. I have taken the headlight assembly apart and the wires seem to be of standard thickness. I would think going with a relay harness would be insurance against frying the OEM wires. Although I did do an install of a HID kit without relay harness on a 2003 Mazda 6 without any issues 10 years ago. It was my old car before getting the Ioniq EV. The only issue I see the the limited space in the headlight housing to hold HID bulb. In this thread https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/313-exterior/30630-[diy]-change-low-beam-headlight-led.html another member did LED H& bulb swap and it seems that HID would be possible using this method.

#15 ·
Those are for foglights!

I ordered something similar on Wish.com, no heatsink etc. They're like 1400lmns which is even weaker than stock halogens. Real LED H7 are 4500lmns or more. Once I did a bit of research I found that some cars have H7 bulbs for foglights are the LED bulbs I got were for foglights.

#17 ·
Interesting, I want to do it, but it's illegal. From what I have seen, even the manufacturers of the LED bulbs state it's not legal for road use. Apparently, you cannot add an LED bulb to a fixture designed for Halogen. It violates the DOT certification of the headlight. If anyone knows a work around, let me know.

Thanks!

#19 ·
Hi Guys,

I finally did the headlight upgrade to LED. Last year I upgraded my stock headlight bulb to Sylvania Zxe which I think is way better than the stock bulb.

Today I replaced the Sylvania Zxe with Fadyshow H7 LED Headlight which I bought from Amazon. Apparently, this is cheaper than the Sylvania Zxe and the result is way better than Halogen.

For those who want to have a brighter and more white look, this Fadyshow H7 LED will be a good upgrade.
Hey @MikeC are you still running these LEDs and have they held up since your installation? How long ago was it?

#20 ·
Oh it work well but there is one issue the dashboard keep showing the notification that head light is not working. The light keep coming on. I dont like that error message even though the light are working. Eventually, i changed it to other light.

Now I traded my EV for PHEV.

Reactions: evioniq
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.