Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Noise from the trunk lid on rough road

54K views 85 replies 51 participants last post by  gimme_a_hi_5 
#1 ·
Every since I got the Ioniq, I get this noise from the rear hatch, every time there is a bump or a crack in the road.
Best way to describe the sound is, when you only close the lid partially and the lid wobbles from the latch. I tried to adjust the 2 bumper stops with more or less pressure and the noise is still there.
Anyone has the same problem?
Thanks

#2 ·
Have you been slamming the lid closed? It's only aluminium , I just bring the window down to about horizontal and then let gravity do the rest.

#4 ·
Spare Tire

Hi, do you happen to have a spare wheel in the boot. I had some noise. I found out that the "nut" that was supposed to keep spare wheel in place did not fully fixate the wheel, so there was some resonance. I put some pieces of carpet under the spare wheel and the noise was gone.

Hope this helps

Léon

#63 · (Edited)
Do you still have this noise when you take this cargo cover out? I don't.
I had a rattle a few times at low speed on pot holes and I was pretty sure it was coming from the cover assembly. I never use it, so I removed it and put it under the cargo floor in the designated spot. Also, repositioned emergency tire kit to the area further up on the left side as it seems to be better location, although I have to remove the jello bottle (as it was too tall and I would never use it anyway) and moved screw driver to reduce the height as bottom floor is slopped a little and added small tire repair plug kit instead.

The rubber bumpers on the sides show perfect symmetric contact areas and overall the lid feels solid and aligned perfectly.

Will see if it eliminates the occasional rattle. Based on what I saw, Hyundai takes extra effort to make sure the rattles are minimized: every emergency release handle is held by velcro, cover assembly is also have many foam and rubber pieces designed to keep the noise to a minimum.

#15 ·
Mines had the same noise from new (EV). Almost as if the boots not quite shut properly. I've tried all sorts but its still there. It's like there's a cable or something in the rear panel that's tapping on the plastic. Thought it was the emergency charging port release pull flapping around but it's velcroed down. Interested if anyone finds a fix.

#16 ·
My EV is silent back there while driving, but recently I've noticed a small rattle/knock when I open the rear gate. Like there is something in there that "falls" up and down when the lid is opened and closed. Very annoying. Does anybody know how to get inside the lid so I can take a look?

OB

#85 ·
My EV is silent back there while driving, but recently I've noticed a small rattle/knock when I open the rear gate. Like there is something in there that "falls" up and down when the lid is opened and closed. Very annoying. Does anybody know how to get inside the lid so I can take a look? OB
I had this problem too. Im an uber driver and people keep trying to open the trunk from the spoiler and they did it so much that eventually the screws came loose and fell inside itself. I took it to the dealership and got it fixed since it was under warranty. To do it yourself, you will need to remove the spoiler and possibly back gate to take out the screws and put the screws back on much tighter

#18 ·
Best way to describe the sound is, when you only close the lid partially and the lid wobbles from the latch.
Sorry, I don't think I have a solution to your problem. But I have experienced a bit of an annoyance with this specific situation myself.

There are times when I didn't drop the deck lid from a high enough height for it to fully latch. It then is impossible to get it to fully latch by pressing down on it. And, since it isn't latched, the electronic button under the handle won't under the latch. This means I have to reach into my pocket and hold the trunk release button until the latch releases. Then I can lift the deck lid higher than before and drop it to close.

I know it sounds like a first world problem, but it usually happens when my hands are full of groceries and reaching into my pocket would require me to put down the groceries. Sigh.

#19 ·
Here in Spain there's one driver having this problem, check this video about how a rattle sounds while he's moving, like a vibrating glass

https://sendvid.com/n1vjy4pb

He's going to return the car to Hyundai if there's no solution for that... anyone found a solution for this?

#20 ·
I hope someone figures this out...

I bought my 2018 Limited Hybrid in February, and it has made the sound that just as you described I also thought the same - I'd swear sounds like the rear hatch.

Attempting to press down the hatch - test for play results in no movement... I have had cars like my CRX and Starion whose hatches had a spring-loaded plastic wedge that would block the hatch from hitting too hard - but it also had like a 1/4" of movement - you could press it down. I didn't notice any movement in my Ioniq hatch.

So despite the sounding exactly like an loose hatch - I don't think it is. Though, I had an idea the other day - and have yet to try driving with the hatch open, perhaps secured with a strong bungie cord a couple inches from max, so it doesn't make the noise coming down on bumps and hitting max open. to see if it still makes the sound, as that would certainly answer the question if it is the hatch.

My fear, being a guy who has replaced struts on Honda's and Mitsubishi's - my second guess would be, well, I'd rather hope not - what if one of the rear strut towers didn't get tightened, and has a 1/2 inch play - that would make the same bumping sound on bumps as the car re-settled on the strut on bumps hard enough to bounce car weight off the strut - fear comes from if true - what if the threads act as a file on the holes, ripping the holes wider and destroying the mount, or worse, nuts come off, then on a big bump a wheel fails...

I called the dealership, talked with them - all they could say was 'bring it in'... like I have time to do that, and sit and wait...
Considering others have the same noise - hopefully one of us will find it. If I do - I'll share!

Love these forums - Interesting reading some of the posts... from informative to scary... Thanks!
Todd

#24 ·
Can you put an image about how do you did it and where's exactly located? To test this solution to some other owners... because Bjorn Nyland has the same problem in Ioniq EV with the rattling sound

#32 ·
The noise was pretty consistent when going over bumps, a loose trunk was diagnosed. So the dealer adjusted the trunk stoppers which stopped the noise from the right and left. Then replaced the trunk lock and that stopped the noise from the middle.
Still occasionally will hear the rattle when going over really jarring bump, but for the most part now quiet in the back.

Hope this helps others.

#33 ·
I noticed a clunk in my car when I picked it up and was super disappointed. I came from a Genesis G80 which was a very quiet car, so the road noise was already bothering me, but I know I'll get used to it. Anyway, I was looking around the trunk for the wheel lock key and I found that the dealer had put the 2 tow bars just loosely under the flap in the rear and they weren't protected by anything. Every decent bump would cause them to rattle around against the plastic. I strapped them down (not perfect) and the noise has gone down substantially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.