Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

PHEV range only shows 27km when fully charged?

45K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  tony1789 
#1 ·
When our Ioniq PHEV is fully charged it shows only 27km battery range on the dashboard even though the battery has been fully charged. The advertised range is almost double that?

Can other plug-in owners comment on that? How much range does your PHEV when fully charged?

#5 ·
Mine also shows 37 miles when on 100% charge, travelling to work in daylight at 55mph on motorway distance travelled plus range left usually = about 36miles, in the dark at 85mph its down to about 24 miles! But never had range abpve 37 miles when fully charged!

#6 ·
How many miles accumulated on the car so far? There will be some anomalous readings in the early days as the car accumulates pattern of use information but certainly no one else has mentioned this.

Best to compare actual mileage with the expected mileage and that will confirm whether there is a problem.

Would also be useful to have some knowledge of your pattern of use and location, and how you charge the car (type and power of charger).

#7 · (Edited)
How many miles accumulated on the car so far? There will be some anomalous readings in the early days as the car accumulates pattern of use information but certainly no one else has mentioned this.
The PHEV does not seem to adjust its charged EV range with pattern of usage, in UK always displays 37miles (59.5457km) EV range after a full charge. See my Spreadsheet in post #2 of this thread, I list the displayed range after each charge

#8 ·
Likewise always 37 miles after full charge (from day 1 onwards). Something very strange there.

#11 ·
BDG
what speed do you travel at? see my earlier post big big difference when you go up from 55mph to 85mph(only did that speed after somebody at work asked how fast can you go on electric?) and I did't know, probably could go faster but I was running out of EV range getting to work.
tony

#12 · (Edited)
most of my driving is on local rural roads travelling between 30 and 60mph. Cornwall is a very hilly county with lots of valleys I live at the bottom edge of the blob below the "n" in Cornwall on the attached topology diagram

how fast can you go on electric
My electricity travels at 186,000 miles per second in a vacuum >:)>:)>:)

Attachments

#15 ·
Same here, but apparently this is normal for Canadian winter

I have a PHEV since December, and range has always been 26 or 27 km. Judging from EV owners, their autonomy is slashed in half with current temperatures here, so it is expected that the battery in the PHEV behaves the same. I expect it will go up to 50 km when temperatures reach above 15 degrees Celsius.

#16 ·
I had opened a thread on the same issue (29km EV range on PHEV after 100% charge) after taking delivery on Feb 14th. I reported it to the dealer on Sat Feb 17th and expect their technicians to call me today. Forum responses suggested my experience is too low given that others have (even with low temperatures) seen ~60 km.

(I would not be able to complain with 47 km since that is stated in the brochure and Canadian government PHEV data.)

Raymond

Attachments

#20 ·
Knut
you must have a heavy right foot, mine goes up to 85mph without any ICE help, had heating/climate control switched off for last 3 days and ICE not fired up at all.
I have never driven my Ioniq above 80 mph. That's way above speed limit already.

#19 ·
I still find it odd that Ioniq PHEV battery-management system would attenuate the "calculated" range after a full charge based on seasonality. I get that the range will drop off steeply once driving about in cold conditions, heater on, etc but Canadian Ioniq's (metric) range should still be 60km at full charge, irrespective of the season, no? Do Norwegian PHEV drivers have 60km or 27km range upon full charge in winter?

#21 ·
After picking up my vehicle last night, I charged it with my home Level 2 station and the electric range showed 29 km. From what I have read, this will change over time. My first drive to work today was 38 km at 3 C, drove in EV and fired up defroster for a total of 5 minutes. The gas range dropped from 947 to 935. Only two small inclines/declines (8 metres maybe). I am just wondering why the gas range would drop that much.

I have started a Blog to capture my experiences with the Ioniq PHEV. Here is a link. https://phevioniq.wordpress.com

#22 ·
The gas range dropped from 947 to 935.
The displayed range is unreliable guesswork. But it's not only gas, as it adds the current EV range on top of that. Since my last fill-up I have used zero gas, but the range has dropped, about the number of kilometres I have driven pure EV since yesterday.

#24 ·
Yes, I know the range is just an estimate, but Hyundai's algorithm is not very good in my opinion. I left work yesterday with 13 miles shown as EV range, driving back to my hotel 11 miles away, after about 2 miles the range shown had dropped to 9 miles. It was a flat road and I was driving at a steady 60 miles/h the whole way with no overtaking or braking, I was in ECO with 2 green bars the whole time.

#26 ·
Bought mine last week. I charge overnight (minimum 8 hours connected) and my Electric Range reads 27 Miles.
It seems odd that some get 27 Kilometers, and I get 27 Miles. As far as I can tell both answers are incorrect.
IS this just a software issue or do I have dead cells?

#28 ·
There's another thread, wherein it has been discovered that CANADIAN PHEV's have a bug that shows the EV range in miles, but displays the units as Kilometers. Hyundai now has a fix for it, as of this week. If the OP has a Canadian car, that is likely the cause of the issue.

ChrisP

#33 ·
When our Ioniq PHEV is fully charged it shows only 27km battery range on the dashboard even though the battery has been fully charged. The advertised range is almost double that? Can other plug-in owners comment on that? How much range does your PHEV when fully charged?
Mine shows 45km but the book says 63km I am in Australia I Questioned Hyundai and they didn't really have a answer the best answer I got was if I am travelling down a mountain and the wind is blowing from behind I could get 63km (Are there dead cells in the battery? my thoughts) Tony Melbourne Australia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.