Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Poor Reversing Lights

61K views 71 replies 35 participants last post by  Slicendice 
#1 ·
My Ioniq has good old Filament bulbs. Today I fitted new LED type W16W at cost of £6.75 on ebay. They work fine and give much better light. Hyundai cut cost by putting old type lamp with LED brake/driving lights.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
G8GRL, I agree with you.

I found that the reverse lights weren't very bright, so I purchased some LED's off of Amazon.

I bought a pair of 1500 lumen LUYED LED's for $15. and they really improved the view.

But, just about everything else on my Ioniq HEV is great.

Enjoy your drive.

G.W.

#6 ·
Darn it... Wasn't going to bother changing my reverse lights.

So yesterday it was dark and drizzly when I tried to park up outside the Pizza shop... Could I see the kerb out of my conveniently dipped door mirror? - nope! Had to rely on the reverse camera, but ended up further away from the kerb than I would normally park.

Then when I got home, I had great difficulty reversing onto my driveway because of severely reduced visibility.

So I have myself a pair of these on the way now... :D

Attachments

#9 ·
The reversing lamps are probably the easiest of the rear lights to change because you can do it from a hatch in the tailgate, unlike the rear indicators which require you to remove the light cluster from the bodywork.

As for the different W16W types, it really is a lottery. Those posted earlier in this thread are 800 lumens each, the ones I have arriving today are 1000 lumens each. They only cost me £6.99 for the pair off Amazon, so if they're rubbish, no great loss.

#21 ·
Also bear in mind the claims on the brightness are largely BS.

These are all mass-produced in China with usuualy low quality control. You may find the samne ones advertised with wildly different claims. So take it all with a large pinch of salt.

They are cheap enough to replace if they quit working etc.

#33 ·
Just ordered 16W16 LED reverse lights from miniinthebox.com for 5.42 euro per couple. Canbus fault proof. Ordered 2 spares in case the Chinese craftmanship has not the quality it suggests. The filament bulbs are really disappointing. Expect a much better view manouevering backwards in the dark.The rearview camera needs a certain amount of lumens to give a bright view and watch the damned poles on the corners!

Attachments

Reactions: bluecar1 and knutsp
#34 ·
I was reversing along a very dark lane the other evening. There was an almighty CRUNCH as I veered slightly off my line and the bottom of the nearside rear wing scraped over a sizable rock that was on the verge - the reversing lights simply did not show it up. I was absolutely gutted!

Thankfully, daylight showed that no lasting damage was done, thanks to that panel being plastic. Had it been metal, as I had imagined it was, I suspect a new panel would have been required. That was a massive relief.

I now have a pair of the LED bulbs from Amazon sat on my desk, waiting to be installed. Hopefully that will prevent any further such calamity!

#36 ·
Didn't the rear parking sensors warn you ? Mine seem to activate if there's a large blade of grass behind me
Not if the obstacle is lower than 30cm.

#37 ·
LED bulbs now safely in thanks to @BDG and his helpful instructions. Lovely bright light, but still a bit disappointed with the reversing camera. It’s quite fuzzy - and no, I’ve checked whether the plastic was still on! Still, it’s such a small disappointment. I get so much pleasure from the car, and the heated seats and steering wheel are just heaven.

#45 ·
Is there a legal maximum brightness of reversing lamps under the Construction and Use regulations?

#47 ·
Thats good,I will order and fit some LED lamps then

#51 ·
For those of you about to replace them, who are not very car savvy,: if the original lamp wont come completely out of its housing, GENTLY remove the loom from the clip just below the housing, and dont forget to clip it back in afterwards.

#52 ·
I also have the EV and wish to change over the reversing bulbs to the W16W LED's. Quick question for evioniq, does the Canbus detect the bulb changes and if so, do you get some form of error message on the dashboard?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.