Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

2018 Ioniq??

27K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  Andrew136 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have been interested in getting an EV for a bit now. I was first leaning towards a Tesla Model 3 but the pricing is a bit high for Canada once you get some upgrades and the timeline for delivery is looking more and more like 2019.

After some research I came across the Ioniq. I have been reading that alot of orders have wait times and that they probably arent producing the 2017 model anymore.

Does anyone have any idea on the 2018 model?

I am mainly interested in availabilty dates and if it does have a longer range option, as the 2017 range is just a bit too low for me.

I am located in Ontario, Canada

Thanks for any info in advance

#2 ·
From what people have said, the 2018 will be pretty much the same as the 2017. As far as availability, some have said that all 2018 have already been taken (advance orders) but I have no independent confirmation of that.

If you want slightly higher range, try the 2018 Nissan Leaf. Then the Bolt.

#3 ·
There may be some confusion about "the 2018 Ioniq EV". In 2018 the current Ioniq EV will still be produced, but it seems that for now this production will be used in the first place to deliver the already (pre)ordered cars. It is not clear how many will be available for new orders later.

But also in 2018 an already announced new upgraded version of the Ioniq EV will or may come out, probably late 2018. If that indeed takes place, orders for this one could be delivered in 2019. This upgraded version should have a battery with higher capacity and therefore it will have an extended range, maybe like 50% more.

Reactions: MarB
#5 ·
Hey EVNick! Glad to see another form member from Ontario - gotta love this province's EV rebate :)

It sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I'm also waiting for info on the 2018 Ionic - but the PHEV, not EV. Right now my dealer doesn't know anything. I imagine we'll probably get some info in Q4, hopefully by late October. Probably after the current promo ends on the 2017 models.

As far as full EVs go, if you can hold off for the longer range Ioniq, that's what I would do. But if you need a car sooner than later then obviously the Model 3 is out and I'd do as Frollo suggested - check out the new Leaf and the Bolt. I drove a Bolt a few months ago and for most people I'm sure it'd do just fine but for me, the interior plastics reminded me of a 2005 Cobalt, the seats are manual adjusting and are ugly IMHO and for my needs, the gear selector was too a-typical. On a $40K+ car I'd expect better.

There's also the BMW i3 & i3 with Range Extender.

#19 · (Edited)
I am tired of waiting for Hyundai so I am looking for alternative like the new Leaf. One thing I like about the Leaf is it has all the 'safety' features in the mid-range model (a-la Pro-Pilot) instead of only top trim like the Ioniq (leather, sunroof etc which I don't care or want). Although if I do look at both top trims, the Nissan gain extra range and the surround camera view for about $1000 more compare to the 2017 Ioniq EV. Hyundai Canada has removed all EV info from their web page so I wonder what that means

Still debating when to get an EV since I prefer to have a 300km range but the only one available right now is the Bolt and all the Hyundai and Nissan 300km model will probably show up in late 2018 to 2019 and I am not sure if the $14k rebate will survive the summer provincial election...

Anyway while I was looking into 2018 Ioniq this morning, I saw this page and looks like the PHEV info is available in Canada including pricing, only 2 trims (SE $32k and Limited $36.5k), check it out yourself since you are interested in the PHEV

https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/showroom/2018/ioniq-electric-plus

#7 ·
Jan, I think what BarryH is asking about is up-to-dare information - that report came from November 2016 before the PHEV was even launched, much less the EV.

`Hyundai` and `promises` are looking poles apart at present, and I find it strange they haven't kept the pressure up on the inbound 200-mile range Ioniq, given that the Tesla is already being delivered and the new Leaf and Bolt will almost certainly be more readily available than any Ioniq... a 200-mile Ioniq+ model as a more expensive version alongside the normal range model would seem obvious market stratification, but first they need to start building the things, which is presumably why everything has been quiet in recent weeks and months.

#9 ·
Regarding the USA PHEV availability, I reached out to the Hyundai USA Product Public Relations Manager via email and got this reply on 22 June "... the plug-in is available in the fourth quarter 2017." IF they remain on that schedule that could be October to December. I've been in high tech product development and marketing long enough to interpret that more as they might get to taking orders in that timeframe with delivery in early 2018. Maybe they truly will have availability by then, but since the pricing and order taking have not been released yet and we are into mid-September, I doubt it. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but not holding my breadth.

That being said, I sold my '06 Prius last week (I have my son's car to drive now that his fall college semester has begun, so don't need the extra vehicle) in preparation for replacing it :)

#10 · (Edited)
Seriously, I'd be wary of any delivery schedule promises made by Hyundai at this point. The EV in particular seems to be causing them problems - and it cannot be simply a function of demand - modern manufacturers take orders and build to them, varying production lines to suit - so promises of a `fourth quarter delivery` normally evolve into hard-and-fast delivery date by now...

No way would we be seeing what we are seeing which is slippage of already-placed orders, everywhere.

Production schedules are planned months in advance based on ACTUAL order numbers. The Logisticians know exactly how much tin, plastic, alloy and even shades of paint to be ordering, with minor adjustments leading to a fixed schedule. Just in Time means Production teams have already allocated workforce and production lines to the point they can tell you that car `x` will be built starting at 11.38 hrs on Tues 5th December' it will leave the line 38 minutes later, be through the test bay at 14.12 hrs and on the transport to the docks at 15.10. To the nearest 10 seconds. Even a 30 second delay caused by the seat belt attachment points not being in the tray has serious implications.

When you produce millions of vehicles on multiple production lines spread all over the Globe that's the ONLY way to do it.

Instead what is happening is ever-extending delivery for pre-ordered vehicles... This can only mean something is outside their control - something in the supply chain. As they seem quite capable of producing ICE vehicles one can presume that it's probably the Lithium or the finished batteries - that was the feedback a few months ago, before they started clamming up. It's not about producing to match demand, it's about sourcing to match current production and delivery schedules.
If they can't do that then promises made by any Hyundai official at manufacturer, importer or dealer level cannot be relied upon to be accurate.

That's not to say that they are lying, simply that a question is being asked for which they have no answer save for `best guess`.

The problem for Hyundai is that they are falling at the first hurdle of mass-market EV production - the actual mass production part. I haven't looked at the state of play for Kia hybrid delivery, but suspect it's the same.

What is going to be very interesting is to see what impact this has on Leaf production.

If I were Nissan I'd be looking to steal Ioniq EV orders on the basis of a guaranteed delivery date on a schedule well within the promises currently being made by the Hyundai supply chain.
If they do that then it will only be so on the basis of a guaranteed production schedule and secured supply. The loss of face to a Japanese corporation of taking 6 months to deliver on a 3 month delivery date would be more than can be contemplated. Much more so than the Koreans.

#12 ·
Those 100 Ioniqs are likely for the Amsterdam car-sharing program due to start in October. A link to an article about it was posted in another thread on here.

#16 ·
Yet we can't get the 2018's here in the USA for a while. One dealership told me they heard it will be near the end of 2018 before they are available. That would be absurd. I emailed Hyundai USA marketing and got a reply within 30 minutes. They said the PHEV will be released "before the end of this year" and the 2018 HEV not until March. Wow, usually the new models come out well before new years. So this is a surprise and disappointment.

For the PHEV, the Hyundai USA website said "Coming this fall" up until a few days ago. Now it says "Coming this winter". Hard to tell where the truth is in any of this.

#17 ·
The truth is you are buying what has proved to be a good car whose popularity way exceeds the number of cars that can be produced. The only criticism that can justifiably be raised against Hyundai is that they did not correctly anticipate the demand. Their crystal ball is obviously not match the quality of the Ioniq LoL.

#18 ·
They certainly underestimated the popularity in Europe, especially the EV. In the USA they have not provided many EV's into the country and they have brought in a lot of HEV in the lower models, most without the tech package. Some of the Limited model but very few with the Ultimate tech package. Now they are sitting on a lot of 2017 HEV inventory across the USA so they are not going to move to the 2018 until they clear out that 2017 inventory. According to cars.com there are 1317 Ioniq's in inventory across the USA. Interestingly only 10 are Limited Ultimate configuration. I've been watching vehicles flow into the country and quite few are of this config.

Hyundai is going to wait until that inventory goes way down before they announce the 2018's and devalue the 2017's. I don't know what the sales rate has been, but I'm guessing that is a couple months inventory based on the turnover rate I've seen watching online.

I guess only time will tell how and when they transition model years as well as make the PHEV available.

#21 ·
if you connect all the delays in tesla ' hyundai, etc, i think that most ev cars sold today are not making any money. and that is because the price of battery moduls has not dropped yet. everybody is wating to the new generation of batteries, I.E. 811 series from LG CHEM or SK. its the money.

#22 ·
Don't think so, it's the impact of non-market forces that have piqued interest in EV's slightly ahead of manufacturer expectations, leading to shortages as the supply chain is dependant on the battery feeds from the battery manufacturers, who don't have the capacity to simply up deliveries.

As for prices, given the actual list prices are considerably higher I'd be surprised if there wasn't a profit in it - although the Bolt seems to be selling at a loss it's list prices is considerably below that of the competition - and there's to be no right hand drive version at all, so in that specific case you might be right.

In all other cases it's the subsidy and grant system that keeps them competitive for the consumer - I couldn't justify £30K for an EV which is more than £6K more expensive than a Hybrid for similar spec (at UK fuel prices that's the equivalent of at least 60,000 miles before you see a ROI even with lower service charges), but the UK grant gives the EV owner £4,500 in subsidies, which does make things substantially more competitive for the owner. But Hyundai still get the £30k...

#23 ·
In reply to the original post, I am also from Ontario and have ordered the 2018 Ioniq EV from Grimsby Hyundai. I've been given a 2 to 3 month turnaround time, with the expectation that it might take an extra month or two.

As for range, still the same 200km advertised range (which will obviously rise and fall based on environmental factors, driving distance and style, etc.) Like most others have reported, a 320km range model is slated to arrive end of year 2018 if on schedule.

#24 ·
At this point I don't believe the increase in range. Hyundai cannot now keep up with the demand for their model. I suspect demand is 10x capacity. If they were losing market share, or having problems getting interest, I could see them wanting to introduce a higher range vehicle.

To get higher range, they will either need a higher efficiency battery or a bigger battery. I don't believe higher efficiency batteries exist that would give a 1.6x improvement. I don't think there is much they can do the design of the car to increase efficiency either.

That leaves increasing the size of the battery. There will need to be space for this (pretty sure there isn't a lot of unused space) and will increase the weight of the car - thus decreasing the efficiency.

The other consideration is that the price will increase with a larger battery, pushing towards the cost of a Bolt or even a low end Tesla.

I think the Ioniq was designed for the size of battery it has and any increase in range will come in a different model at a time when the EV market really heats up competitively.

#26 · (Edited)
I'm from Ontario Canada. I preordered a 2018 Ioniq Electric in early September 2017 and finally received a status update from the factory, a VIN# and ETA of early March 2018.
I was told the battery had been upgraded to 30 from 28. Giving it a range of 225 instead of 200 KM. Hope that is true but time will tell if they really did increase range.

I was told that the 2018 car does not appear on the Government Rebate website yet because of the changed numbers needing verification to get listed. They only show the 2017 EV

#31 ·
Valentin

Ordered my 2018 IONIQ EV CCP in November 2017. Yesterday, I've got the factory VIN# from my dealer. ETA 4-6 weeks.
My dealer said that the car is on the boat traveling to NA. As soon as is on the Canadian land he will have a more accurate ETA (due to a tracking number maybe)
In the past 3 months, I've red all possible info about 2017 IONIQ EV watching all youtube videos and reviews.

I personally think that the lack of EV cars supply worldwide is due to low to none when it comes to after sales revenue.
For major car makers the transition to EV has to be smooth and controlled sales.
Every EV car maker (except Tesla as is not the case) that switch in a short period of time to electric cars loose millions to billions in after sales revenue following years (no more oil change, oil, filters, transmission and so on).

I live in Ontario, Milton.

#32 ·
Ordered my 2018 IONIQ EV CCP in November 2017. Yesterday, I've got the factory VIN# from my dealer. ETA 4-6 weeks.
My dealer said that the car is on the boat traveling to NA. As soon as is on the Canadian land he will have a more accurate ETA (due to a tracking number maybe)
In the past 3 months, I've red all possible info about 2017 IONIQ EV watching all youtube videos and reviews.

I personally think that the lack of EV cars supply worldwide is due to low to none when it comes to after sales revenue.
For major car makers the transition to EV has to be smooth and controlled sales.
Every EV car maker (except Tesla as is not the case) that switch in a short period of time to electric cars loose millions to billions in after sales revenue following years (no more oil change, oil, filters, transmission and so on).

I live in Ontario, Milton.
Hope there's no delays. What colour did you get? I originally had an order for an '18 blue EV with CCP but after calling a couple other dealerships I found a blue SE that was going to be at the dealership within 2 weeks so I went with that instead. There still might be some '17s on the lot if you want it sooner rather than later. Just gotta call around.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Hi Infos about Ionic Hybrid

HI, i'm Georges and i send you a msg from my home in Spain, Europe. For some informations about Ionic
. I bought a Ionic Hybrid in december 2017 and very happy for my choice . Ionic Hybrid because i make each year the way Spain-Belgium and Belgium- to see the family and completely electric is difficult for longs travels (2000 kms) . Very happy for comfort, lot of services and accessories, and comsuption !! I come back a visit in family here in Spain and made 400 kms X 2 ; the comsuption for the travel was 3,8 L/100 kms (90 % motorways) . Really, i have foto . I think for this car, 1900 Kilos, normal with 2 motors, automatic doble-clutch, and batterys LI-Ion, it's a fantastic comsuption . I hope it's utils informations for people . And sorry for my imperfect english.

#36 ·
In Spain, the models of the year 2018 have already been delivered, but with the 28kW battery.

The differences are only aesthetic, the gray plastics are now black, and the chrome line of the headlight is now bronze. And I think there is no modification anymore.

#42 ·
There is much more to car buying than JUST lowest sticker price, although it is always the headline.

For example with the Ioniq it's the supply and availability - especially for the EV - waiting for nine months for an electric car is a lot of fuel being spent. May be worth taking a second or even third choice in colour or spec just to get the car sooner... then accessorise it.

The `extras` on car are always where the deals are to be made - sticker price for those are always at a lower nett cost to the dealer, so there are more to be had from their end. One just needs to make sure they suit the owners needs - I had the Williams F1 coating included in my deal as it included external coating, internal cabin AND a new treatment for the air con with a anti-bacterial coating. Didn't want the first but took it to get the others. Certainly makes for easier cleaning, even though I never clean the externals, I pay someone else to do that!

Mats were a necessity because of the environment I work in and having had a hybrid for 23,000 miles before I got the PHEV wasn't going to not have heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel.

Reactions: bluecar1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.