Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Creaking noise from Left-rear suspension

50K views 54 replies 29 participants last post by  matroosoft 
#1 ·
My ioniq hybrid sel make a creaking noise on every turn or when I'm on a bumpy road. At first, the noise seems to be from the trunk. I've tried remove everything from the trunk (floor mat, cargo cover, cargo net, and the inflator kit, everything), but the noise still there, so I put everything back in place. Last week, I was on a vacation with two suitcases in the trunk and I never heard the noise all vacation long. Now, I'm back to work, and the suitcases were removed, the noise came back.

Now, I believe the noise is from the left-rear suspension, but not quite sure what is wrong there.

Has anyone experienced this??

#2 ·
I have noticed a similar problem in the last couple of weeks , but more of a knocking than a banging . I've more or less tried the same remedies as you have . I'll investigate further this weekend but the problem is it's very intermittent .My car's coming up for a service in the next month so I'll have them to look into it if I have no success

#4 ·
ahah...so I'm not alone... My dealer spent 4 days to fix the problem... at the end he sprayed the left rear frame part of the chassis with the yellow polyurethane foam used for wall isolation. It worked for 4 monts but today I have had the impression that is caming out again (I have to check well). He supposed that somewhere in the back frame some of the plastic glue point used for metal-metal junction was missed or just was too little.

#35 ·
I’ve had exactly the same issue. The dealer can’t figure it out after 5 weeks. Sounds like maybe a manufacturing issue for the Ioniq line
Good news: It took a Hyundai engineer to help the dealer, but they found the cause of that creak coming from the back passenger side on my Ioniq. The frame pieces come together under the rear doorwell sill were rubbing against each other; they’re supposed to be able to flex but we’re too close, so they rubbed when flexing. That was the noise. Once they realized it was the sound of metal rubbing, they drove the car for nearly five hours, with a guy using a stethoscope to locate the source, which turned out to be where the frame comes together under the sill. The fix was easy: remove the sill plate, adjust the frame ends, put the sill plate back on. It sounded like the noise was from the rear suspension, but the suspension was not the cause. Neither were any of the bolts or panels in the back (the dealer had removed all those to check). That’s when the engineer was called in.
I think I found the post I’m talking about

Reactions: bluecar1
#6 ·
I think you may be right there . I ran down the knocking in mine to the spare wheel . The locating wing nut doesn't seem to tighten enough . Careful positioning seems to have lessened it considerably , but it's still slightly there ever so slightly . I'll have them check the suspension on my upcoming service .

#7 ·
My Ioniq has a similar problem - an annoyingly loud rattle from the back of the car when driving over bumps or uneven surfaces. As best I can tell it's coming from the tailgate release/lock. It doesn't happen all the time, and seems to come and go depending on when the tailgate was last closed.

It's so far eluded mine and my dealer's efforts to locate and fix it.

Has anyone else had this?

#8 ·
Only thing I've noticed with the tailgate is that you have to close it firmly otherwise it doesn't always close properly . When I say firmly , I mean just that not slamming it down .
Have you tried a little grease on the locking mechanism ?

#9 ·
When the tailgate/backhood isnt closed firmly you get a warning sign on your TFT dash. So likely this is not the problem. Check if the locking wing on the opposite side of the latch is connected firmly to the chassis.

#11 ·
Hi Paul Here. This may be totally unrelated to the current noise you are describing, but Ill throw it out there. I was experiencing a similar problem on my 2011 Hyundai Accent. I hunted, listened checked with mirrors and was totally stumped. But one day I found that the rear seat back Latches (Only one side at first), had a minute amount of play when latched back in the upright position. This allowed the seat back to slightly move back and forth in the latch, using the car frame mounted latch hoop and seat back as a sounding board, causing the noise. I wrapped the fixed hoop (metal rod) with some aluminum tape just enough to increase its diameter so the seat back latch would still latch but snugly. That cured the noise. Hope this might help someone. Thanks.

#13 · (Edited)
I search all over the internet and find something interesting

the first one is this video

the second one is from this guy who own a Ford Focus
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/16363/What+is+causing+the+creaking+from+the+rear+of+my+car

and the third one is here
https://gobdp.com/blog/squeaky-suspension/

I have an appointment with the service department at my dealership tomorrow, I hope they can fix the problem.

This is my first Hyundai and I only have it for 7 weeks. I notice the problem since the first week and trying everything I can to locate the source of noise (remove everything from the trunk, check the left doorjamb, etc.) I really want to love this car.

#49 ·
I search all over the internet and find something interesting

the first one is this video

the second one is from this guy who own a Ford Focus
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/16363/What+is+causing+the+creaking+from+the+rear+of+my+car

and the third one is here
Why Is My Car Squeaking? A Squeaky Suspension? | BlueDevil Products

I have an appointment with the service department at my dealership tomorrow, I hope they can fix the problem.

This is my first Hyundai and I only have it for 7 weeks. I notice the problem since the first week and trying everything I can to locate the source of noise (remove everything from the trunk, check the left doorjamb, etc.) I really want to love this car.
The creak is from Scotty - he is a jerk!

#16 ·
FYI I talked to Hyundai about this, since my car has the same issue and my dealer is stumped. Hyundai would like anyone who has had this issue — fixed or not — to let hem know so if there’s a deeper problem such as a manufacturing issue they can find and fix it sooner. Search for Hyundai Customer Care to find your country’s center. In the US, it is https:// www .hyundaiusa .com / contact-us .aspx (drop the spaces; the forum made me add them to be ale to post.

#17 ·
I’ve already complained to Hyundaiusa.com since the day I’ve got my car back from the dealership. The case number is 10606917. They said nothing on how to resolve the problem.

#19 ·
Well, I took mine in to the dealership this weekend (south Texas). They were unable to fix the issue. They checked the rear suspension, and everything checked out ok. They checked the interior for the cause, and did not find anything. They are recommending that I send it to their body shop so that the body seams can be checked.

I am not really exciting about these guys doing exploratory surgery on my 3 month old rig to look for the problem. They'll probably end up creating other creaks or rattles, so I am going to hold off for now. Funny thing is that the creak noise is much less pronounced since I got it back, so much so that it is not an issue at the moment. We'll see how long that lasts.

#21 ·
Hi All. I have owned a 2015 i30 wagon since new in Australia. I have lost count of the amou t of times I have taken it back to repair the creaking rear suspension. I have tried multiple service centres. They all say that they don't know how to fix the problem. I wrote to customer care who rang me and said try a different service centre. But none of them know what to do. Any suggestions

#22 ·
Gmgruman, is there a case number that is posted with Hyundai regarding this? I have noticed a rattle of sorts coming from left rear and wondering if it is related. For others that have had similar issue, did you borrow from solution recommend above as described by Gmgruman given by Hyundai engineer? I had problem and it went away after a four pax ride, but it may return and just wondering on a consensus for this issue. It’s annoying because it sounds like something so obvious but when one goes back to look for it then it is not there. Jeff

#25 ·
Okay folks. So I have been hearing what sounds like a rock hitting the underside of the car on the left side. It happens maybe once a day. One louds rock type hit with a couple of small pebble hits. Then a couple of days ago there was a louds metal against frame hit. The best way I could describe it would be if the rear spring was not seated well and all of the sudden it popped into place.

Any ideas?

#26 ·
Not had any such noises from mine in 18 months . I did have a creaking from the rear in the first few months which I sorted by tightening the securing nut on the spare wheel . It may not apply to yours as spare wheel isn't standard in the US ? . Best drop it into the dealer .

#30 ·
Hi! New here. I have a 2018 Ioniq Hybrid Limited.

I started noticing the squeaking/creaking noise about a week or so ago (at ~15k miles), mostly when driving over speed bumps and/or uneven and bumpy surfaces. I brought it to a Hyundai dealer in New Braunfels, TX. They were able to diagnose this noise within a day. They told me it is sway bar end link bushings that needed to be replaced. They had to order the part so I'll bring it back next week for the repair.

I hope this helps someone.

#33 ·
is the affected body seam on metal panels?

if so should they not be rebonded or welded, not just pushed together as creaking to me would indicate movement which to me should not be there in that part of the body shell?

#39 · (Edited)
Hey, new user here, the noises from the back of the car were really bugging me, fixed them all, here's what I did in order of noise, lowest to highest:

-noise level 1: front seat belt buckle was banging on middle pillar when not used, especially on passenger's side, used some black self adhesive felt padding on the pillar on both sides, works like a charm.

-noise level 1: added some black felt circles in every door bottle holder. It really makes a difference on long roads.

-noise level 2: rear seat belt buckle was banging on the plastic covering the wheel arch when not used, same solution as above. The plastic beside the seated is really hard and even on small bumps the sound is pretty high.

-noise level 5: this was the worst. I thought it was the tailgate, used rags to hold it in place, got the spare tire out along with everything in the trunk, no go.
It turned out to be from the rear seat retainer clamps, the U shaped metal hinge that the rear seat clamps onto on both sides.
I used some thin electrical tape on the U shaped part and now my car is whisper quiet even on the biggest of all bumps.
I don't have a picture for this but if you drop the seats you will understand. ( Added one from a forum, maybe even this one ? )

Note: After posting I realised this thread is probably the wrong noise to chase, tried to delete the post, but couldn't)

Attachments

#40 ·
Hi, I've also got the creaking from the rear passenger side sometimes when I go over bumps. Today I came back from the shops with 2 heavy bags of shopping in the boot which I had put on the left hand side and the noise had gone, similar story to an earlier poster with their suitcases. So I wonder if it's friction between the boot liner and boot floor layers. I'm going to try putting something like a strip of rubber between the boot liner and boot floor and see what happens. I did try with everything taken out of the boot and the noise had changed couldn't really work out what was going on.

#41 ·
Pete I'll tell u what worked for me after I was experiencing the creaking from the rear seat area.
I put electrical tape on the u fastener ( one on each side)that holds the rear seat attached to the frame.
This worked for me. Try it. it will take 10 seconds to do and you will know if THAT is the problem area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.