PHEV in extreme cold - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

PHEV in extreme cold

I'm currently looking at buying a Ioniq PHEV and was wondering what they were like in the winter. I live in Saskatchewan and we can get -40C for a week or so, with an average closer to -20C for the winter. My work commute is approx 75kms round trip, with the majority of that being on the highway. I put on approx 2000kms a month, approx 85% highway driving at 105-110kph. My garage is heated, so nightly charging would not be an issue. There is currently no charge point at work, but that might change down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 22-04-19, 07:56 AM

Can you get/afford an EV?

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 22-04-19, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I test drove the Kona EV and didn't like the 100% EVness of it, and the price difference it too great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 22-04-19, 09:52 AM
VCL

A lesser range EV like the Ionic BEV should cost much less than the Kona and would satisfy your commute of 75km in even the coldest temps. I’ve had the Ionic BEV for 2 winters and I can get 150km in -25C. You should still be well above 100km during the week of -40C. Also, as of May 1st there is a $5000 Canadian Federal rebate for EV’s which brings down price below the PHEV which I don’t think qualifies as the battery doesn’t meet their min size

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Electric SE CCP Marina Blue
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 22-04-19, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

The rebate is supposed to be $2500.00 on the PHEV on May 1st. I do a 400km trip once or twice a month which takes the Ionic EV out of the equation. I also do the odd 900km trip.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 22-04-19, 10:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirobium View Post
I do a 400km trip once or twice a month which takes the Ionic EV out of the equation. I also do the odd 900km trip.
That's what DC fast chargers are for. However, looking at the charge maps, I see Saskatchewan is not big on them. Pity.

OB

Ou Boet
Langley, BC Canada
2018 IONIQ EV SE (with CCP) in Marina Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Since 16 Feb 2018)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 22-04-19, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Exactly. I'm guessing in the next 4-5 years that will be different and I will be looking at pure EV when it's time for a new vehicle.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 22-04-19, 10:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirobium View Post
I'm currently looking at buying a Ioniq PHEV and was wondering what they were like in the winter. I live in Saskatchewan and we can get -40C for a week or so, with an average closer to -20C for the winter. My work commute is approx 75kms round trip, with the majority of that being on the highway. I put on approx 2000kms a month, approx 85% highway driving at 105-110kph. My garage is heated, so nightly charging would not be an issue. There is currently no charge point at work, but that might change down the road.
I've had my phev Ioniq for one winter in Ohio. Not as cold as Saskatchewan, the coldest I saw this year was about -10 F (-23 C). I don't have a garage and on those cold mornings the phev would display a message on the dash indicating that it was running in hev mode. I don't know the exact temperature when it does this but I think I saw it at around -5 F (-20 C). Since you have a garage your car will be warm when you start out but eventually you will want cabin heat which is generated from the gas engine. As long as you know this ahead of time and understand that the car will be running the gas engine in these cases then you should be fine. Of course the heated seats help and that doesnt require the gas engine. But -40 C is pretty cold and at 75 kms you are going to be in hev mode for part of the commute any way.

You wont have to worry about your 12 V car starter battery going dead in the cold weather any more. I periodically see messages on the dash in the morning indicating that the aux battery charging system was used. If it senses that the 12 V battery is going low then it recharges it from the traction battery. (I have a 2018 US phev Ioniq. I think this arrangement varies in other countries or model years?)

I think it drives in the snow like a typical front wheel drive car. I didn't notice anything good or bad that way last winter. But I think the ground clearance is less than some cars. Not sure if that could be an issue.

I posted a question about cold weather charging with the phev a while back hoping to get feedback from owners in northern Europe where it gets good and cold. But I didn't see much response. Maybe not an issue for you since you have a garage.
knutsp likes this.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 23-04-19, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Jonboy.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 30-04-19, 01:27 AM

I have a PHEV in Southern Ontario (and lived in Sask for a while! But not with the Ioniq) and it was just fine over the winter. My car is parked in a garage with no door and the charging cable was left plugged in all the time. The battery range was slightly lower in cold weather and fuel consumption went up to accommodate the heat. Got some winter tires for it and had no issues whatsoever.

Limited PHEV in Iron Grey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page