New Ioniq 2019 is out!! - Page 8 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 41Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-06-19, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwm9 View Post
The one change I don't like is the switch from the mechanical speedometer to the LCD display. I drive my cars until they fall apart and I don't know that I trust any LCD to keep working that long.
Mechanical as in cable driven? Horrors! Glad those are gone forever.

You probably mean an electrically driven physical needle. Those are pretty reliable, but can break. I believe most have a relatively delicate spring. LCD displays are dead reliable. I have a computer LCD display that is over ten years old without a single pixel out. Of course, the home environment is no where near as extreme as a car environment.

LCDs have big advantages over physical displays in that they can be repurposed and customized by the user (if options are made available by manufacturer). Their big fail for speed readouts is poor resolution whether numerical or "analog" display. It makes it very difficult to tell if your speed is increasing or decreasing, making it hard to hold a set speed (perhaps not really needed with cruise control in even inexpensive cars now).

I have a motorcycle with an LCD and tach numerical display. Hate it so much! I can't even fall back on cruise control. So I empathize with your dislike of LCD displays for speed or engine rpm. Higher resolution LCD screens will eventually be just as good, and be available when costs go down.
Andy likes this.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 72 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:50 AM

wow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page