Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Can I change the travel range with something else?

7K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  mi20r 
#1 ·
Hi, I just bought an Ioniq yesterday and have finished reading through the manual, but can't find a way to remove/replace the travel range in the middle of the display cluster. I don't care much about the driving range and I don't like it to occupy the space in the center of the cluster display. Something is far more important to me e.g. Digital Speed, Fuel consumption, or Elapses time after started, etc.

Am I missing something in the manual? Does anyone know how to change this (not by switching into sport mode, please)?

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Fortunately you can display all the other information on the right of the screen. I can live with the range remaining.

Cha - you may not want to run your car this low on fuel. I read online that the fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel and when the fuel is very low it will not be as well lubricated, which can cause premature failure.

I try to keep my fuel level at quarter tank or more.

#10 ·
the image in my original post is not from my car, it just address the problem well.

I'm still irritated by the travel range and the km/h digital speed, I know I can turn the km/h digital speed of, but why can't I change it to MPH.

I will have to try driving in the sport mode after refueling and see how it will effect fuel consumption.

I know I can pull up almost everything onto the right cluster display. Now that display is constantly show fuel consumption, my preference, just like the image in my original post. The point is I want to utilize all space on both cluster displays, which I couldn't.

#13 ·
Maybe the US market cars should be fitted with a Complaints meter

#14 ·
I'm sorry, but I,m really not complaining. First of all I love this car so much.
Second, it's a european, German car. It is just something I'm wondering ... I saw the picture in this tread with the digital speedo under the rangein ECO mode. That is not the case in my car.
I was just asking myself how you can switch that digital speed in central ring on... Or is this kind of software update ?

#16 ·
It's a IONIC Hybrid (HEV) 09/2016, German Model, Executive.
The strange thing is : all pictures I see with that speedo under the range in central circle, have ranges indicated in miles (not km/h)
So maybe that's the biggest difference between the european models and US models ???
I also was wondering if there is a actual consumption bar where you can read/guess your actuel consumption.
Are there also models where that actual consumption is indicated not by a bar, but by number : f.i. 5,4 l/100km

#17 ·
Remember: each country (or state/province within) has its own rules. Think about it: on the Canadian models, I can freely change the temperature between Celsius and Fahrenheit, but I cannot change the speedometer. This is most likely enshrined in the laws that all auto manufacturers need to abide by. Speed is a safety issue, temperature is not. Therefore, they've enabled customization for what they're allowed to.

Regardless, I can't think of a legitimate reason why somebody would want to change the unit of measurement of the main readout, especially considering you can see both km/h and mph at the same time. But I do understand that everybody has their preferences :)

Also, these are cars, not computers. Yes, the world is becoming more digital and information is becoming more and more desired, but most cars (electric or not) do not (and never have) offered the type of customization that everybody seems to be talking about in this thread.

#18 ·
It's a really stupid thing to have the range in the center display. As if it would not be sufficient to have it in the same place as in Sport Mode. Same thing for not displaying the current gear (in the Korean version I believe it is displayed - like D1, D2 etc. ). But that's it, we have to live with it.

#19 ·
It's a really stupid thing to have the range in the center display.
Just curious, why is it stupid? It's front and centre. It's a crucial piece of information, especially for those of us driving the full EV models, and especially for new EV drivers who have no idea how much variability there can be with the range.

#20 ·
It's just my opinion. Especially because is front and centre.
There are a few more precious informations that could make sense to put in the centre that would actually help you while driving and range is not one of them. Range it's more static than current speed for example and you could easy check it while being diplayed in a corner.
Although it makes some sense for the BEV Ioniq, I don't think you drive always keeping and eye for range.
And the 2020 model layout agrees with my opinion.

#21 ·
There are a few more precious informations that could make sense to put in the centre that would actually help you while driving and range is not one of them.
Range it's more static than current speed for example and you could easy check it while being diplayed in a corner.
Although it makes some sense for the BEV Ioniq, I don't think you drive always keeping and eye for range.
You're right, it's just your opinion. And here's mine: when it's -25C outside and I'm driving 140km round trip for work, I'm definitely always watching the range.

I also respectfully disagree with your statement about the static nature of the range. I don't need to look at a speedometer to know roughly how fast or slow I'm driving. However, because these cars are so efficient, anything outside of dry and warm conditions will impact range. Wind, temperature, rain/snow, all cause a substantial impact on overall range. As such, there is nothing static about it, especially as degradation sets in over time.

Please don't take this as hostile, this is just opinions vs. opinions. At the end of the day, all of the information (useful or not) is all within a millimeter of eye movement :)

#22 ·
I agree that for you as a BEV owner it is a important piece of information. But that information is a number and you can see it wherever it is displayed.
But for me as a HEV owner is actually useless in that position and I really hate it.
I bet it would not take a more than 1 hour for a programmer that is involved with the Ioniq layout to add a entry in the right side panel for a menu to select what information we choose to be displayed there... I would prefer that option instead of the option to select how many times the turn signal blinks (3 or 5) that takes more logic and external module communication to implement it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.