Any thoughts about tailgate tents? - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ou Boet
  • 2 Post By iet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-19, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
iet

Garage
Question Any thoughts about tailgate tents?

We already did a few road trips (From the Netherlands through Belgium, France, Switzerland and Germany), where we also did a few "sleepovers" in the car, as described in https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/234...-possible.html which was great! We are planning a trip to Denmark, Sweden and Norway this summer, packing a small tent though.

But now we're wondering whether or not a tailgate tent would be an option on the Ioniq. Maybe somebody owns such a tent already? Also wondering if this would create a problem in locking the car and keeping the lights off? We're thinking about the Napier Sportz Dome to go tent, but then we saw these picture of a Chevy Volt with this tent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B0016DBTNC

What do you think, fellow drivers? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-19, 08:14 PM

Garage
With the poor reviews on the Amazon unit, I would think that would not be a good choice.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-19, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
iet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorj View Post
With the poor reviews on the Amazon unit, I would think that would not be a good choice.
Only when the car is not a good fit... I see it fits one Prius, but not another one. 4 out of 5 stars is not that bad I think? I've asked Napier via Mail, but no answer yet. I'm afraid the Ioniq isn't that well known yet? Can't imagine why, we really LOVE this car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-19, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
iet

Garage
So we took the chance...

We ordered the "dome to go", via amazon.de (from the UK). The guy who sells them says he knows ppl with an ioniq, with no complaints... meanwhile I've contacted Napier and they are looking into it right now, after I gave them some measurements. Will let you know all if it's a fit or not (with pics)! As some of you may remember, the Prius Habitent did *not*. (Because it would make camping and road tripping in your Ioniq a lot easier and more comfortable ;-)).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-19, 10:15 PM

Garage
Taking a look at the pictures on Amazon, I think that the tent is designed for the more traditional steep backed hatchback. I doubt that the newer elongated and more aerodynamic shapes like the IONIQ will seal. I hope for your sake I'm wrong though.
iet likes this.

Ou Boet
Langley, BC Canada
2018 IONIQ EV SE (with CCP) in Marina Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Since 16 Feb 2018)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-19, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
iet

Garage
Cool It's a fit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou Boet View Post
Taking a look at the pictures on Amazon, I think that the tent is designed for the more traditional steep backed hatchback. I doubt that the newer elongated and more aerodynamic shapes like the IONIQ will seal. I hope for your sake I'm wrong though.
Thankfully, the "Dome to go" is a fit for the Ioniq! :-) You have to manouvre the tent all the way underneath the car, close to the wheels, and fold the sleeve all the way around the bottom of the car, but then it's a snug fit. We tried it out today :-) I'll upload some pictures for you to see... Maybe nice to know for other travellers who like to sleep in their Ioniq like we do, that this is also something to consider :-))
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dometogo-sleeve.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	29594   Click image for larger version

Name:	dometogo-carview.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	29596   Click image for larger version

Name:	dometogo-view.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	29598   Click image for larger version

Name:	dometogo-bed.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	29600  
DaveF and Patrick like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-19, 02:54 AM

Thanks for this information and pictures. Keen to do the same when summer arrives down here in the southern hemisphere.

I have also found a tent made by Rightline gear - SUV tent - not unlike the Napier Dome to go but I can find a local NZ agent selling the Rightline tent but would have to have the Napier one shipped at some cost.

SUV Tent | Tents For SUVs | Van Tent

So question is as to whether anyone has experience of the Rightline SUV tent?

New Zealand
EV Elite
Marina Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page