EV route planning - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-16, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
ade

EV route planning

When you're planning a journey in the EV, what do you find the best method for figuring out where to stop to charge? Does the in-car satnav route between chargers based on assumed kW consumption?

I'm looking at http://zap-map.com and wondering if I just find the nearest charger on the motorway to each 100 mile interval of my route?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-12-16, 12:15 PM

There are a lot of apps that you can download to use. PlugShare or Open Charge Map would be good to use for planning routes that have charging stations along the way.
Old 21-12-16, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
ade

Do those actually tell you where to stop for a given state of charge though? Most of them do A to B route planning and show chargers, but I haven't seen one that says "you'll need to stop at this one as you'll have 10% remaining" like Tesla's in car nav does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-12-16, 01:22 PM

Ohh okay, I'm not too sure about that to be honest, I'm new to the EV game but to my knowledge, I don't know of any apps that do that. Wouldn't how far you'll be able to get be dependent on how you're driving, the conditions, what you're using, etc. ? It'll be changing constantly ?
Old 22-12-16, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
from screen shots ive seen when you have a screen where it show current position in the middle then rings showing various range and the charge points on the map, will try and find a link later

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22-12-16, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
ade

Yeah, I've seen that, but it's a very basic version of what Tesla do with their planning software. Someone's created a Tesla-specific version on the web: https://evtripplanner.com but the data is all very specific to Tesla models, although they're just starting to support Leafs too.

I suggested it to one of the mapping team at Google I know, who thought it was a great idea, so fingers crossed!
Peter likes this.
Old 23-12-16, 06:11 PM

With what Google is planning do with their Automotive Division odds are they'll get something going and if they do, it should be better than most, as is typically the case when the Google of things come to market.
Old 07-06-17, 07:47 PM

I'm thinking of writing an app which would plan your route and recommend where to stop to recharge based on your car's range, your comfort zone in terms of % left before recharging and locations of suitable charging stations.

Shouldn't be too hard.
Jan Treur, reald and kadbr0 like this.
Old 07-06-17, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
When you're planning a journey in the EV, what do you find the best method for figuring out where to stop to charge? Does the in-car satnav route between chargers based on assumed kW consumption?

I'm looking at http://zap-map.com and wondering if I just find the nearest charger on the motorway to each 100 mile interval of my route?
I found this in another thread a while ago, I've been compiling a list of places I visit and with the severe lack of charging infrastructure in Australia trying to comfort myself into wanting the EV

GreenRace
Old 08-06-17, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
ade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frollo View Post
I'm thinking of writing an app which would plan your route and recommend where to stop to recharge based on your car's range, your comfort zone in terms of % left before recharging and locations of suitable charging stations.

Shouldn't be too hard.
Take a look at https://evmaps.co.uk - it seems to be the closest to what you're suggesting at the moment
Peter likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in