Is Anyone Running 50psi or Higher? - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-06-18, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Is Anyone Running 50psi or Higher?

When I owned a Prius and was on the Prius forum there were quite a few folks that were hypermiling and running tire pressures of 50 psi or higher. The results were usually a 2-4 mpg increase. My personal experience was the same.

Many of the LRR tires have maximum pressure of 50 psi.

Is anyone doing this and what, if any, benefit are you seeing.

These are US measurements.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-06-18, 12:53 AM

Not me. I stay with the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure listed on the door jamb label...36 lbs, no more, no less. Inflating tires to their max listed on the sidewall means they will be running a few pounds higher when hot, which personally, I wouldn't feel safe doing....not to mention premature center tread wear, rougher ride, safety issues in the form of higher susceptibility to blowout, and possible compromised handling. Others can hypermile all they want, but for me it's not all about MPG, and a possible slight increase of a couple mpg isn't worth compromising a balance of economy, comfort, handling, tire longevity, and safety. But, that's just me.
chui, BDG, IsntItIoniq and 4 others like this.

2018 Ioniq SEL, symphony air silver/black (actually dark grey)
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-06-18, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
with standard 36 psi (cold) pressures I can get into thee 90's mpgUK) / 75+mpg (US) on long runs

so why compromise comfort handling and safety ?
chui, BDG, IsntItIoniq and 2 others like this.

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-06-18, 03:28 AM

Over inflating your tyres could also invalidate your insurance in the event of an accident.

2018 Hyundai Ioniq Premium SE Plug-in PHEV in Marina Blue

post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-06-18, 04:15 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitinuri View Post
When I owned a Prius and was on the Prius forum there were quite a few folks that were hypermiling and running tire pressures of 50 psi or higher. The results were usually a 2-4 mpg increase. My personal experience was the same.

Many of the LRR tires have maximum pressure of 50 psi.

Is anyone doing this and what, if any, benefit are you seeing.

These are US measurements.

Thanks.
NEVER run anything other than the recommended pressures UNLESS you are running at extremes of temperature (<-30c, >50c) or abnormal load.
Handling, braking and comfort are affected.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-06-18, 05:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
why compromise comfort handling and safety ?
Handling is a lot better with the tires a bit more inflated, for the same reason it spends less energy, tyres deform less... You do loose a bit of traction because the area of contact with the floor is decreased. You also loose traction if you underinflate the tyres.

Unless you drive very fast or over sand, you usually have a lot of spare traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans View Post
NEVER run anything other than the recommended pressures
100% agree, but learn to read the recommended pressure. In Europe, according to the authority which establishes the rules, ETRTO, the number on the car door and manual, is to be interpreted as a minimum. The pressure should never be lower in any moment. Plus, the pressure should be increased if you are going to drive in harsh conditions (high speed, heavy charge, towing, long trip time).

So, if you adhere 100% to the recommendations in Europe (using the values for the EV):
  • Keep tyre pressure above 2.5 bar (36 psi).
  • Increase pressure by 0.2-0.5 bar (3 to 7 psi) if driving at sustained high speed, heavier charge... resulting in 2.5 to 3.0 bar (36 to 43 psi).
  • Respect tyre cold pressure maximum inscribed on the tyre, 3.5 bar (50 psi, pressure reading when cold).

This is the document the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation publishes for consumers for free, you want to read page 22. This is a new edition, September/2017, may have some differences from what I said.

Now, the risks: over-inflation increases the risk of impact damage, particularly puncture (on the other hand, it protects the rims better). Under-inflation is dangerous for driving, and increases the risk of tyre break-up (tyre deforms more).

I drive a lot on motorway, so I have my tyres usually inflated 0.3 bar over the number on the door (2.8 bar = 40 psi). I think this is in perfect accordance with ETRTO recommendations. I thank the extra range. I have no problems with that driving in Lisbon on sett paved roads and tram lines.

PS: About heat: don't worry. When you see a letter V tyre, in Europe, it automatically means that it is rated for a maximum cold pressure of 3.5 bar (50 psi). A V tyre is rated for driving at 240km/h. Testing is performed at that speed and at its maximum pressure. You're not heating it anywhere near that.
Andrew136 likes this.

Ioniq EV received in September 2017
Prius+

Last edited by migle; 05-06-18 at 05:43 AM. Reason: About heat!
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-06-18, 05:49 AM
BDG

Garage
From a leading UK tyre supplier :- https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/infor.../tyre-pressure

Also isn't there an increased risk of an over inflated tyre suffering of a blow-out when tyre is stressed.

St Austell, Cornwall, UK
PHEV Premium Marina Blue

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-06-18, 07:31 AM

For starters, 2 - 4 mpg with higher pressures seems unlikely to me. Lots of smart people on the Prius forum but without coast down tests to confirm a decrease in rolling resistance, those anecdotal reports are highly suspect. It would take thousands of miles with the same driver in the same season with say two different pressures to be reasonably sure of results.

That small gain, perhaps 3% for hypermilers, is vastly outweighed by the cost of the tire life, both tread wear and increased likelihood of damage. Not to mention the other comments here about noise, comfort, handling, and braking. Better all round (although also with tradeoffs) is to fit a narrower tire that is made for efficiency.

Just to point out the issues with verifying efficiency gains, I've made two minor aero mods on my car that should increase efficiency on the order of 5%. No way can I confirm such a number, but the mods are such that efficiency should be increased by some number (just like increasing tire pressure to reduce the contact patch on smooth roads). I'm currently about 20% over the EPA mpg ranking but of course that is not due only to my mods. Driving style, speed, and especially weather conditions (I routinely check wind speed and direction on trips) far exceed my small aero gains. I will say that I made similar modifications on my last car and also exceeded by a good margin most owners on Fuelly over 200,000 lifetime miles with no attempts to drive especially efficiently. But that is not the same as testing, just an anecdote that is highly influenced by driving style.
IsntItIoniq and dryland like this.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-06-18, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

As a former Prius driver with more than 150K miles driven I can tell you that 2-4 mpg difference with the tire pressure at 50psi vs 36psi is achievable. The ride is a little rougher.

Recommended tire pressure by the manufacturer is set for the best combination of comfort and handling. However many LRR tires are rated to 50 psi or higher. I found my tires to last the appropriate amount of time as long as they were rotated properly. Often I got an additional 10-20K miles for the proper care.

I applaud your efficiency. 20% over the EPA estimate is to be lauded.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-06-18, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
... I've made two minor aero mods on my car that should increase efficiency on the order of 5%.
What mods did you make to pick up an estimated 5%. Would love to try it.

2018 Hybrid Limited with Ultimate tech package
Gray exterior & Beige Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page