19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 28-05-18, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Optimal speed for hypermiling

Quote:
they just drove around the block at some 20 to 30 mph until the battery died
Link: https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-...t-606-2-miles/

It has been suggested that optimal speed for Ioniq is about 70 - 80 km/h (43 - 50 mph), but I suspect that speed, giving maximum range, is far lower, like 35 - 50 km/h (22 - 30 mph). It seems the testers here chose such low speed.

Regards, Knut, driving a 2017 Marina Blue Ioniq Plug-in Premium SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 28-05-18, 02:07 PM

I wonder if one can hypermile more by going up and down a mountain road...
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 28-05-18, 02:54 PM

I cruise to work mainly motorway at 55mph, and when I get home or work, distance travelled plus range left = 36 miles, only started with 37 mile EV range so that cant be far off optimal speed

tony leckenby
warrington uk
2017 prem se plug in (that lovely blue color)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 28-05-18, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The range indication of your car is not the optimal range, but the range for your own way of driving as the car has observed in your previous trips.

2016 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Comfort Marina Blue
Previous car: 2013 Prius Plug In
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 28-05-18, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutsp View Post

It has been suggested that optimal speed for Ioniq is about 70 - 80 km/h (43 - 50 mph), but I suspect that speed, giving maximum range, is far lower, like 35 - 50 km/h (22 - 30 mph). It seems the testers here chose such low speed.
From what I've seen, 70-80km/h tends to be optimal for the gas engine, while 35-40 km/h is optimal for the electric motor.
ajiom, knutsp and dotsbb like this.

2018 Ioniq Electric Plus SE (PHEV) in Marina Blue
2016 Ford C-Max Energi SEL (PHEV) in Kona Blue
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 28-05-18, 04:54 PM

I made a spreadsheet calculating the theoretical energy requirement for the Ioniq to travel 100km. Some are assumptions such as rolling resistance constant since I can't find the actual numerical value for the Michelin Energy Saver tires. Same goes for the frontal area, I just guess-timated based on the graph.

No idea whatís optimal, but it gives an idea of the theoretical maximum distance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip energy.zip (74.1 KB, 81 views)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 28-05-18, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
a steady 50mph / 80kph is the best speed for hyper miling I found, but 60-62mph / 95-100kph s the best compromise for speed and economy from the many miles of fun I have had
dryland likes this.

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 28-05-18, 05:22 PM

If you really want to hypermile, your best results are likely to accelerate to 60 mph (pulse), and coast to 25 mph (glide). Steady state speed is not hypermiling.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 28-05-18, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth128 View Post
I wonder if one can hypermile more by going up and down a mountain road...
YES ! I live in Colorado and do this all the time. I'm about 5 miles from the foothills and drive through that area frequently. If I make a loop through the hills that ends back at my house, my gas mileage as reported by the car always goes up a few tenths of MPG where it does not if a similar length trip is made on the flats.

Similarly if I make a longer trip such as up over the mountains on I-70 then back home again a few days later, my mileage is higher than if I just make a highway trip to Denver an back (which is on the way to the mountains).

This was the same effect with my former Prius. In the end, the car seems to get better gas mileage improvement on the downhill than it loses on the uphill.
Wellman, dryland and Panoramix like this.

2018 Hybrid Limited with Ultimate tech package
Gray exterior & Beige Interior
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 29-05-18, 05:30 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knutsp View Post

Speed can't be that low with a Cd of 0.24. Momentum MUST play it's part, before the drag starts to exponentially increase.
Momentum not only adds `drag-free` distance (with regen off) , but also possible regen assistance when it's on...

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page