My 2018 Ioniq plug-in review - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 7Likes
  • 6 Post By Jonboy
  • 1 Post By David H

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 17-04-19, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My 2018 Ioniq plug-in review

In late 2017 I started looking at new cars. The main things I wanted in a new car were:

1. A plug in or electric car
2. A good value
3. A reliable and trouble free car

I wasnt going to buy a car if it didnt have those three things. Some other qualities I was looking for were:

4. A good looking car
5. An interior and dash layout that was well designed
6. Modern amenities that my base model Honda didnt have like AC, heated seats, interval wipers, auto volume adjust, tire pressure monitoring, Android Auto, power mirrors, etc.

My Honda was getting old but was still running good so really I didnt need a new car at the time. I started looking because it seemed that plug-in and electric cars were finally attainable for the average Joe. At the time I looked at the Prius Prime, Chevy Volt, Hyundai Ioniq, Kia Optima plug-in, Honda Clarity and Tesla model 3. The Ioniq had everything I was looking for and more. After a few months of looking, research, and a few test drives I knew the base model plug in was the car for me.

The buying experience was frustrating and stressful since the plug in version is only sold in a few states. And the dealerships have been disappointing. But eventually my car was delivered and after a drive in EV mode all those troubles melted away.

The car has been fantastic, everything I could have hoped for. After a year of driving (4300 miles) I still think it is the perfect car for me. I do a lot of short trips in EV mode during the year but use the gas engine enough that I'm glad it's there when I need it. The EPA rating for the plug in is about 120 mpge. When I bought the car I didnt know what to expect but I was hoping to get better than that. After one year I've bought gas four times and my average on Fuelly is 150 mpg (US).

Last summer I managed 37 miles of electric range on a long drive. This week in colder temperatures, around town, I got 34.5 miles of electric range. I love the quiet ride in EV mode (and I expect my next car will be a full EV). I love the exterior styling and cleanly designed interior. Actually, there is a lot more that I like about this car but I wont repeat it now since it's all in this thread:

https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/305...ive-ioniq.html

And I'm really impressed with how well the electric drive is integrated with the gas engine. The transitions are smooth and hardly noticeable. Same for the regenerative braking and transitions to friction brakes. I think my brake pads are going to last for a very, very long time.

One year down, 14 more to go. So far, so good. I suppose in 9 years I may be tempted to look at the latest electric car offerings. But until then, life is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_093359447.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	29326  
bluecar1, jakie55, David H and 3 others like this.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 18-04-19, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
One year down, 14 more to go. So far, so good. I suppose in 9 years I may be tempted to look at the latest electric car offerings. But until then, life is good.

Enjoyed the post, thank you. The big unknown several years in what big number maintenance issues will arrive and in particular battery performance/renewal. I would be thrilled to get even 10 more years trouble free motoring out of it as I doubt if I will still be driving then.
bluecar1 likes this.

August 17 Silver PHEV Premium SE

MPG = 126.13 L/100km 2.24 *Hybrid Equivalent MPG = 83.6 L/100km 3.38

*Hybrid Equivalent, costing the electricity, converting it to petrol and adding it in.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 18-04-19, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, it seems that car repairs have gotten very expensive over the years. The Ioniq comes with a good warranty though. In the US the 2018 plug in Ioniq warranty includes:

New vehicle - 5 years/60,000 miles
Powertrain - 10 years/100,000 miles
Rust - 7 years
Hybrid systems components - 10 years/100,000 miles
24/7 roadside assistance - 5 years
Hybrid electric battery - lifetime

From what I've read about lithium batteries and the Ioniq design and based on my typical use patterns, I feel pretty good about the battery. I don't expect any issues with the battery for 10 years at least.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page