2017 Ioniq EV SE CCP - 1 year 23,000km (14,375mi) - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-18, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

2017 Ioniq EV SE CCP - 1 year 23,000km (14,375mi)

Point form cause why not?

Model and Trim
- 2017 Ioniq EV, SE CCP (cold climate package, basically heat pump and seat heaters all around)

Duration of Ownership
- 1 year

Odometer Reading
- 23,000 km (14,375 mi)

What's the Weather Like?
- Generally dry, hot summers (20 ~ 30 C) and cold winters (0 ~ -25 C)

Daily Commute
- 80 km round trip, 60 km highway (~ 110 kph); flat paved roads

Average Energy Efficiency
- Summer: 10.5 kWh/100km (1.2Le/100km, 195 mpge), Winter: 13 kWh/100km (1.5Le/100km, 158 mpge)

Full Charge Range
- Summer: 250 km, Winter: 210 km, -25 C: 160 km

Things that can fit inside the trunk:
- 2 large luggages with some backpacks
- 55" flat screen TV (back seats down)
- Mountain bike with 27" wheels (back seats down)

Thoughts on Safety
- Blind spot sensors: Very useful though sometimes a bit too sensitive when I'm just turning.
- Airbags: Did not test
- Rear camera: Useful but easily blocked by dirt, rain, snow, ice, etc.
- Lane Keep Assist: Not equipped
- Adaptive Cruise Control: Not equipped
- Emergency auto braking: Not equipped

Thoughts on Driving and Comfort
- Very smooth. The switching between regen, disc brake, and acceleration is a bit jarring in stop-and-go
- Suspension is adequate though you'd feel the bumps on the road
- A bit of roll when cornering too fast, steering is too light to the point of almost ambiguous

Economy
- I get free charging at work for my daily commute. For weekends I use my level 2 at home. According to the app I've paid $71 for the year, that translates to about 300 km per dollar. The same distance would cost about $1,800 in a car that uses 6L/100km (40 mpg), or 13 km per dollar.
- With the incentives and trade-in the car cost came to $26,000 total (tax + freight + etc.)
- With the incentives the Level 2 Charger came to $1,000 (unit + labour + taxes + etc.)

Noise
- I don't particularly like the spaceship sound at low speeds but nothing I can do about it (stipulated by law and there's no switch)
- Road noise is mostly tires and noticeable on highway. For reference my sound system volume is set at 3 for general driving (the adaptive volume is off)

Thoughts on Infotainment System
- It does its job well enough. Kind of bummed that there isn't a CD player, but then again I don't even have one at home so it's not really missed.

Thoughts on Navigation System
- Again it does its job if you use it to navigate to specific destinations. I use my GPS generally as a real-time map which the built-in system fails miserably. It does not display the names of upcoming streets and in fact does not display streets if you zoom out more than the 200m level. As a result I purchased a Garmin GPS with built-in dash cam and keep the infotainment screen on EV display (oooh purrty numbers)

Thoughts on Lights
- Headlights are a bit dim which is expected of halogen bulbs. They also use up quite a bit energy which contributes to winter range decrease. I inquired about LED upgrade kits but Hyundai hasn't come up with one yet.
- I don't use high beams other than to flash idiot drivers texting and not noticing green lights. I find honking works better.

Does it live up to my expectations?
- Short answer: Yes.
- Long answer: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Would I buy the Ioniq again?
- Why? I already have one. Why would I need 2 Ioniqs? If anything I'd get a Kona EV as a second car for long trips.

Would I choose a different variant if I had to buy it again?
- Nope. Might go for the Limited trim though.

Things I think can be improved
- Battery range: while this is pretty low on the list (why did I put it first?), I would like to see maybe a range of 300 to 400 km (EPA rated). Though given a more robust and distributed charging network this would not be a concern. The longest trip I've made is 220 km one way.
- The edge of the rear bumper collects dirt
- The rear camera gets dirty easily and could use a jet like the Bolt
- The rear windshield is easily fogged / covered by rain and snow. Improved with Rain-X application
- The OEM wipers that came with the car is pretty lousy. I switched them out for 2 beam wipers (26" and 18", cost $50 total)
- Shift by wire is good, but the Parking gear button is too close to the front storage. You can accidentally bump the button and put your car into P at low speeds when wearing baggy clothes (like winter coat).
- Drive mode button is too close to seat heater controls. Pressing the seat heater button with gloves on could potentially put you into sports mode and excitement follows
- Could use a trunk lid control inside
- Would be great if I can set the max charge level. Also would be great if I can set charging schedule to the entire day instead of 23 hours and 50 minutes
bluecar1, BDG, reald and 8 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-18, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sth128 View Post
- Blind spot sensors: Very useful though sometimes a bit too sensitive when I'm just turning.
Yes, too bad the car can't sense when you're just in the outer of two turning lanes and not actually intending to change lanes.

But great review overall... Thanks!

Paul W | 2017 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Ltd 6-speed dual clutch automatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:
2013 Desert Bronze Hyundai Elantra GL 6-spd auto (13-17)
2010 Indigo Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L GL 6-spd manual (10-13)
2008 Black Hyundai Accent GL 5-spd manual (08-10)
2001 White Kia Rio 5-spd manual (05-08)
1996 Royal Blue (purple) Hyundai Accent GLS 4-spd auto (01-05)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-18, 12:54 PM

Useless review.. come back when you've properly tested the airbags.
testguy, sth128 and ds093 like this.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-18, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsntItIoniq View Post
Useless review.. come back when you've properly tested the airbags.
no need, these dummies have done it already

BDG, IsntItIoniq, ds093 and 2 others like this.

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-18, 01:38 PM

Those are an interesting watch. I had no idea the car had knee airbags.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-18, 01:50 PM

Thanks for an interesting review, the first members EV contribution.

There is a lot of talk on the forum about range anxiety, from those who have not chosen EV, have you had any scary moments in that regard?

August 17 Silver PHEV Premium SE

MPG = 126.13 L/100km 2.24 *Hybrid Equivalent MPG = 83.6 L/100km 3.38

*Hybrid Equivalent, costing the electricity, converting it to petrol and adding it in.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-18, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
Thanks for an interesting review, the first members EV contribution.

There is a lot of talk on the forum about range anxiety, from those who have not chosen EV, have you had any scary moments in that regard?
Not exactly. The real concern is from destination charging. I drove up to Algonquin last year in October. I had to choose a resort that had a charging station because a) I knew I would need charging after the 200 km trip and b) the surround area of the park itself has no charging infrastructure. There was some concern regarding on route charging as the route I chose had only one level 2 station, but it wasn't an issue when I arrived as the station was free and the walk around the area proved rewarding.

I had a bit of range anxiety on the way back as I picked up two additional passengers and their luggages (my gf's parents). The traffic back was rather slow due to end of a long weekend which meant energy expenditure was higher than expected. I chose not to charge on the entire trip back until we reached an Ikea. It was kind of worrying when the range read 25 km but that's kind of like driving with the "tank empty" light on.

Range anxiety is only real if you plan on using the car for long road trips frequently. Even then you can look at the routes you will likely take and determine if fast charging is available. Sure choosing an EV might take away your freedom to just get in and drive to the other end of the country. But I doubt many people would realistically do that. If you do, maybe get a plug-in hybrid or a regular hybrid.

On a side note (or perhaps a more important note), 1 L of gasoline combusted produces 2.3 kg of CO2, in Ontario 1kWh of electricity generated produces about 40g of CO2 (average). For 23,000 km that means over 3 metric tonnes of CO2 produced in an ICE car. At the EPA's energy consumption rating (14kWh/100km) for the Ioniq EV, the same distance would produce 129 kg of CO2.

So in my case both the fuel cost and environmental cost are about 1/25 that of an ICE.

And to think, i almost bought a Sonata (gas model) instead!
bluecar1, BDG, mtkupp and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-18, 02:23 PM

Great review. I'm coming up on 5k so far. Had the car for about 3 weeks. I have the same version you do but I can't seem to get better than 11.3kw/100k. The only thing I can think about is maybe because I'm a bigger than the average person, about 145 kilos in weight on me.

Otherwise can't get the 10.5 people get. Also I recently drove 470 km in one day going from Ottawa to MTL and back car got around 12.6 when I was alone and close to 14 on the way back because had 2 extra people and lots of luggage.

Would appreciate any tips
testguy likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-18, 02:49 PM

Garage
Nice review. I must remember to the same thing when I hit 1 year.

OB

Ou Boet
Langley, BC Canada
2018 IONIQ EV SE (with CCP) in Marina Blue
(Since 16 Feb 2018)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-18, 03:04 PM

Drive slower?

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page