2017 Ioniq EV SE CCP - 1 year 23,000km (14,375mi) - Page 2 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 22-05-18, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

One thing people might not realise is that because EVs are more efficient, they are more susceptible to environmental variations. Temperature, wind, road condition, elevation.

Going from Montreal to Ottawa is uphill which means you'll definitely expend more energy. I don't know what the wind is like that day but at highway speeds they can add 15-20% (or more if you're heading into strong winds) to the cost.

One thing I tend to do is set the regen level to 0 (especially if you're on the highway). Regen is much less efficient than just letting the car coast as some energy are lost as heat from the battery charging and discharging. Keeping your car washed and waxed also helps reduce drag. That's the main reason why the energy use is much more in winter: you have low temperature, worse roads, snow and slush all over the car and winter tires.

I would say don't worry too much about the energy use. The Ioniq is more efficient than all other EVs on the road. Just drive safe and enjoy the ride
bluecar1, chui, MikeC and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-07-18, 12:15 AM

Any new updates sth128? How many KMs on your odometer now? Any problems?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-11-18, 10:36 AM

I've just crossed the 6 month mark and have put 45k km. This is my first winter and can see a drop in range.

If anyone has any advise on winter tires and rims please do share.

I get around 260-270 in the summer.

These days in Ottawa I'm getting 150-170.

Appreciate feedback. I've put on steel rims for winter with old tires I had for my old car. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-11-18, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I've heard good things about Nokian tires which are designed for EVs.
https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/pa.../winter-tires/

Apparently they are quiet and have low rolling resistance which will give you a bit more range in winter compared to other tires. My current winter tires are noisy as **** and not very fuel saving.
bluecar1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page