Almost collided UK - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By The seasider
  • 1 Post By SEvans
  • 1 Post By chunga68

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-05-19, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Question Almost collided UK

Was waiting on a dual carriageway to turn right at a roundabout. Car approaching from the right was in the correct lane to turn and was indicating left. Was moving onto the roundabout when my wife shouted. The car on the right decided not to turn after all and a collision was narrowly averted.
At the point of contact the car on the right would appear to have right of way but is that the whole story? Can imagine the grief I would get I waited too long in this situation.

Am actually quite shook up by the occurrence.

Any views???

August 17 Silver PHEV Premium SE

MPG = 128.12 L/100km 2.2 *Hybrid Equivalent MPG = 84.77 L/100km 3.33

*Hybrid Equivalent, costing the electricity, converting it to petrol and adding it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-05-19, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
all to common occurrence unfortunatley

satnavs not giving clear directions, people being given poor directions by passenger, drivers not reading road signs correctly

I never move onto a round about or pull out in front of a car indicating to turn into the road I am joining from until they have commited to the turn and turning into the road

had to many near missies like you

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-05-19, 03:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
At the point of contact the car on the right would appear to have right of way but is that the whole story?
It's a long time since I passed my test in the UK, but I recall clearly being told that you give way to the vehicle that has the right of way, and that a turn signal does not demonstrate that the vehicle will turn, only the act of turning stops it having the right of way you must give way to.

In this situation, if you had pulled out onto the roundabout, and a collision had occurred, it would have been your fault for not giving way, despite the other driver's turn signal.

The police investigating would look for any sign that the vehicle already on the roundabout had been speeding, thus may have been culpable, but the turn signal would not be a helpful defence!

Edited to add:

From the Highway Code
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...oad-159-to-203

Rule 185
When reaching the roundabout you should

give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining
watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all
look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front has moved off.

2019 Ioniq SEL HEV
Black

Last edited by Andy; 14-05-19 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-05-19, 04:29 PM

Garage
in a Nutshell ...................................... NEVER EVER EVER .. "TRUST AN INDICATOR" On someone else's Car !!!!!!!!!!! ....
pastera likes this.

liberate tute me ex inferis

ioniq Se Hybrid NONE plug-in- None BEV.. Just yer Average Common or Garden Hybrid Hyundia Ioniq 2019 Spec
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The seasider View Post
in a Nutshell ...................................... NEVER EVER EVER .. "TRUST AN INDICATOR" On someone else's Car !!!!!!!!!!! ....
Reminds me of a an old work colleague of my sister . She always indicated right and turned left and vice versa . If I followed her I always anticipated this ...worked every time

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 07:54 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
When I trained new motorcyclists, the most important lesson was that indicators always lie, because of the loose nut behind the wheel...

There's no point being right, and ending up in the gutter, or under a broken bike...
MR Scan Man likes this.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 08:09 AM

Garage
Took me too long to understand that right means left and left means right in this case. Then it all made sense

On topic: I agree that signals are, at best, unreliable indicators of intention, and I have to watch the driver and the car to be aware of what's gonna happen. And even if the person makes all the right moves, they can still change their mind mid-turn and still go your way. Can't wait for the time when computers are suitable for driving instead of us petty humans

Ioniq Hybrid Style - see it in
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 10:47 AM

Driving locally, always assume all other drivers don't know the roads and don't know where they are going. Just as you would be when driving in a big city you'd never been to before. That way you should always see the curve ball coming at you.

Polar White Ioniq Premium EV 2018
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Scan Man View Post
Driving locally, always assume all other drivers don't know the roads and don't know where they are going. Just as you would be when driving in a big city you'd never been to before. That way you should always see the curve ball coming at you.
Maybe you should pass that sentiment on to about 90% of drivers in London ... and almost any other city come to think of it
MR Scan Man likes this.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page