Hot - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 16-07-18, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post Hot

I don't really want to complain about warm weather. As a Norwegian I love warm summer days and sunshine. In winter, there is little of it.

But this is extreme. Not just the daily temperature, but the duration of the heat wave, lasting months. Farmers crops are dying, making crisis for stock animals food, fires in the woods/forests, caused by lightning. And above 26 C I actually feel uncomfortable, especially if no wind and high moisture.

Ioniq has to be parked in sunshine, no alternative here. It's hot as h*ll when entering, but cooled seats and AC makes in inhabitable in a few minutes.

In Oslo, there has been more "tropical days" (above 30 C) for 19 days so far this year, beating a 117 year old record. We have the same "climate" as Sicily, nowadays. Tempted to say I'm tired of the heat. I am.

Have driven several short trips in my Ioniq just to calm down in AC air. With no other purpose!

Am I whiny, or is this too much? How are you, fellow forum members? How do you cope with your Ioniq?
migle and andersmo like this.

Regards, Knut, driving a 2017 Marina Blue Ioniq Plug-in Premium SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 16-07-18, 11:24 AM

I am not fond of the extreme heat we've had here too. We had a week of temperatures like what you're talking about. I don't have cooled seats so it takes a bit longer for the car to become bearable to drive. I am going for tint at the end of the week so hopefully that will help. I don't know if it's the slope of the rear window or what but the Ioniq is the hottest car that I've ever owned.
knutsp likes this.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 16-07-18, 11:59 AM

Come on out to AZ for some heat! endless days of 108+ and Nights in the 90's all summer long... some days are even 120 if your lucky!

Thank god I have shaded parking at work..

2018 IONIQ Blue Ceramic White HEV
2016 Tucson Grey
2012 Saratoga (Shih Tzu/Poo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 16-07-18, 12:54 PM

I go to the Tucson area once a year but try to plan for late winter/early spring so I don't have to see that 100+ degree heat.
knutsp, dpdurst and Texas Ioniq like this.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 16-07-18, 01:09 PM

Garage
It's the same here in the south of Sweden. I was going to try running without the air condition to see if it will improve the range. I typically get only 43 km on electric power. But I guess that experiment will have to wait...

2018 Platinum Silver Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in PremiumEco
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 16-07-18, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@andersmo
AC means very little. If you drive 50-60 km/h your EV range should be at least 50 km. It gets better when car has driven a few 100 km, when new.

Regards, Knut, driving a 2017 Marina Blue Ioniq Plug-in Premium SE

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 16-07-18, 02:42 PM

Mid 90s here with the heat index around 105 and it is barely mid-day.... High pressure over us has them saying potential record heat this week into next.... Just wonderful......
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 16-07-18, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutsp View Post
@andersmo
AC means very little. If you drive 50-60 km/h your EV range should be at least 50 km. It gets better when car has driven a few 100 km, when new.
If I baby it up to 80/85 km/h, I can nudge just over 50km before the last blue bar disappears at 25%. I assume doing more city / slow driving would let me get your distances of ~ 70km. Unfortunate that I live so far from work or I'd test it out.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 17-07-18, 04:26 AM

Garage
It's the 17th of July. July is an absolutely dry month in the Mediterranean region. Rarely there is one day with a passing shower during the night and a bit of clouds, then dry again.

It's getting a bit better, but we didn't yet have a single typical summer day. I'm still not wearing shorts, temperatures are in the mid 20s! Most of the first weeks of July I brought an umbrella to work! Many days I made the trip to work in foggy weather.

We have an intern from Hong Kong. He still didn't get a chance to see a difference between a dry summer subtropical climate (ours) and a dry winter subtropical climate (his). Dry summer means a clear blue sky with few interruptions from the 15th of June to the 15th of August.

As I write this, it's 22 in Lisbon, 18 in Madrid (!!!), 20 in Cordoba (the hottest city in Europe), 22 in Casablanca... On a typical July, temperatures at this hour would have to be at least in the high 20s, how else we would reach 35-40 in the afternoon?

It is, at this moment, 25C in Stockholm and 25C in Marrakech (which is not by the sea).
So, yes, I too have a lot to complain about the weather, even if it's a lot easier to come to work with this mid-spring weather.

The weather is good to keep the battery cool, of course. But we still have the same sun radiation as usual for our latitude. So, when I return to the car, parked on the street, even using a cardboard shade on the windshield, the battery temperature is at 28-30, and easily rises to 36C on a longer trip. On a DC fast charge, I now reach temperatures of 43-44C. So, it may be helpful, but only a tiny bit...

Ioniq EV received in September 2017
Prius+
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 17-07-18, 06:29 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to mxhans
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsntItIoniq View Post
I don't know if it's the slope of the rear window or what but the Ioniq is the hottest car that I've ever owned.
What color is your car?
Dark cars (black or blue) will be much hotter than white cars!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page