Hot - Page 4 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 30-08-18, 05:26 PM

Garage
If you want some statistics to prove that climate change is real, here's one for you:

6 of the top 10 hottest global average temperatures have been the past 6 years.
8 of the top 10 hottest global average temperatures have been since 2009.
9 of the top 10 hottest global average temperatures have been since 2005.

This only goes back 41 years since we didn't track global temperatures before then. Whether you believe the climate models or not, you can't argue with these numbers.

Here's my source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/w...2022-1.4784746

Even more interesting, is that the article says that "new research shows the Earth was actually in a global warming "hiatus" that is about to end. And when it does, natural factors are likely to help an already warming planet get even hotter over the next four years, according to a new forecasting model."

If that's true, then we are in for quite a change over the next few years! It'll be like when you go from a colder than usual period during late spring straight into a hotter than usual period. Yikes!

Here are some more numbers from a link in the article talking about hot hot 2018 has been:

Quote:
In the past two weeks, from California to Oman to Siberia, temperatures have soared, shattering records. Here's just a small sample:

Death Valley National Park, Calif.: 52 C (July 8)
Ouargla, Algeria: The highest reliable recorded temperature of 51 C (July 5)
Northern Siberia: Consecutive days with forecast above 30 C (July 916)
Chino, Calif.: Daytime record of 48.9 C (July 7)
Tajimi, Japan: Record-setting temperature of 40.7 (July 17)

The good news? This isn't anything climatologists didn't expect.

Andrew
2018 Marina Blue Ioniq EV with CCP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 30-08-18, 05:32 PM

Garage
This year the world is experiencing a La Nina, the opposite of an El Nino, which actually causes cooling. The temperatures from January to May 2018 broke the record for a La Nina year.

Quote:
June 2018 was was tied for the third warmest June in 138 years of modern record-keeping at +0.77C above the 1951-1980 baseline average. Only June 2015 and 2016 (+0.80C and +0.79C) were warmer.
From here: https://twitter.com/NASAGISS/status/...638912/photo/1

Andrew
2018 Marina Blue Ioniq EV with CCP
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 30-08-18, 05:38 PM

Garage
I think I'll migrate. I was thinking maybe spending the winters in Tunisia and the summers in Sweden. Wait, isn't the EV scene great in Norway?...

Tomorrow, heat wave again. This time it's a regular heat wave, we'll have 35C. It's within my limits of comfort if I use the siesta hour correctly. Not another crazy, unbelievable 45C heat wave again. And it will take us away from the crazy mid-fall weather we've had this last week (22-25C highs...)... At least 35 is more normal.
Andrew136 likes this.

Ioniq EV received in September 2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Prius+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-08-18, 07:54 AM

Did anyone notice an impact on mileage in hot weather? Last few days we had temperatures reaching 95 F (35 C) here in north Jersey, and my mileage dropped from usual 55 to 51 mpg on my daily commute trips. I see the car switching to ICE almost always when accelerating even very moderately. Could it have to do with the BMS protecting the battery from overheating? The car interior gets incredibly hot when parked during the day, so the battery probably gets pretty hot, too. We had several heat waves this summer, and every time I noticed the mpg drop noticeably.

2018 Ioniq Hybrid SEL with tech pkg
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-08-18, 10:04 AM

Disregarding temperature impacts on batteries, ICE efficiency peaks at 85 degrees and drops off either way. I can actually notice a difference on 70 versus 80 degree days after adjusting for speed and environmental conditions (about 2ish mpg). No experience yet above 90 degrees.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-08-18, 11:17 AM

Garage
I think it's just your AC working harder and depleting your battery. It's electric in the hybrid, isn't it?

Ioniq EV received in September 2017
Prius+
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-08-18, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migle View Post
I think it's just your AC working harder and depleting your battery. It's electric in the hybrid, isn't it?
It works without ICE, also when the car is parked, so it must be electric. Not sure if it completely accounts for the spike in fuel consumption, though. The battery tends to stay charged closer to 2/3 range in hot weather, whereas in colder temps it stay closer to 1/3. The ICE engages much more easily, too, even with mild depression on the gas pedal.

2018 Ioniq Hybrid SEL with tech pkg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page