• 1 Post By Cha
  • 2 Post By Cha
  • 2 Post By mtsarpilot
  • 1 Post By mtsarpilot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-18, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Cha

I cracked my windshield!!!

I cracked my windshield yesterday. Call local dealer and they said they will order the part and make and appointment with the glass company to come in and in stall it. My question is, which one is better, go through the dealer (you sure get the original windshield) or call glass company (more convenient)

2017 Hyundai ioniq hybrid SEL with tech package. Summit Grey.
Bridgeport, CT U.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-18, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

I'd probably go with the dealer

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-18, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Cha

Ok, just talked with safelite they offer “generic” windshield for 5xx or “original Hyundai” windshields for 9xx. Both of them come with “lifetime warranty”

What is the different between them? Any recommendation?

Bridgeport, CT U.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-18, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
Ok, just talked with safelite they offer “generic” windshield for 5xx or “original Hyundai” windshields for 9xx. Both of them come with “lifetime warranty”

The only problem I can see is there are a lot of sensors attached to the inside of the windscreen and if you fit the generic then have problems with sensors not working correctly Hyundai will not want to sort it under warranty.

Ioniq EV SE 2017 Platinum Silver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(UK spec)
Old 12-09-18, 10:37 AM

Quote:

I had safelite do my windshield. Here is the thread about that.

They did the generic one first and it cost a bit over 1000 dollars. Most of that was calibration. They messed the job up and had to redo it and when they did, they did it with OEM. The difference on the printout that they gave me was about 20 dollars. I'll attach the applicable parts of both receipts. Maybe you can use them to bargain with them if you're not using insurance.

Edit: I misread the slips. The parts difference is quite a bit higher on the OEM but still not 400 dollars worth higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	27508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture oem.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	27510  
Cha likes this.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

Last edited by IsntItIoniq; 12-09-18 at 10:53 AM. Reason: I misread the slips
Old 18-09-18, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Cha

The order for original windshield was placed. Hyundai doesn't have it in stock, I have to wait till next month to get it. Hope my cracked windshield will survive till I get a new one.
bluecar1 likes this.

Bridgeport, CT U.S.
Old 18-09-18, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The order for original windshield was placed. Hyundai doesn't have it in stock, I have to wait till next month to get it. Hope my cracked windshield will survive till I get a new one.
I'd expect it to survive just fine. The crack might spread but as long as it's replaced before water can get in it and freeze, I don't think you'll have a problem. Windshields have two layers of glass with a layer of plastic sandwiched in between so I wouldn't worry too much. The crack is probably just on the outside glass layer.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

Old 12-10-18, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Cha

Just got it replaced this morning. Will have to observe the LDW behavior for a week, so far so good.
bluecar1 and IsntItIoniq like this.

Bridgeport, CT U.S.
Old 16-10-18, 05:23 PM

I just cracked a windshield as well. Rock caught the very edge of the glass in lower drivers corner. My insurance includes $0 deductible on glass thankfully. Glass shop says they replace the windshield then they take the car to the dealership for calibration for you. They cover the cost then pass the whole thing to insurance as a single bill. They offer a one-stop experience for the customer and the calibration is from the dealership which is nice. Best yet is their aftermarket glass supplier does not have this windshield yet so they will be getting an OEM windshield from Hyundai. I'm waiting to hear how long for the glass to arrive and schedule. Then we'll see how well the calibration goes.

My LKAS works so well I cringe at the idea of messing with it. Stay tuned for the completion of the process, I'll guess 10 to 14 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181016_151221.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	27804   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181016_151322.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	27806  
IsntItIoniq and Cha like this.

2018 Hybrid Limited with Ultimate tech package
Gray exterior & Beige Interior
Old 28-10-18, 10:40 PM

A pleasantly surprising success story. The glass shop got the new windshield from Hyundai because there is no aftermarket glass available to them. Insurance therefore had no choice but to pay for OEM glass. When the glass shop called Hyundai to schedule the calibration, the dealership advised there should be no calibration needed. As long as they set the camera in the same general location, it will figure out the lines itself, no need to re-calibrate. OK, I'll believe it when I see it. The installation was done on Friday and I did a good bit of testing today. LKAS works beautifully still. City streets to interstate highway, it all works rock solid as it did initially.

Hopefully others have as successful an experience should they eventually have to replace a windshield.
bluecar1 likes this.

2018 Hybrid Limited with Ultimate tech package
Gray exterior & Beige Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in