Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

What do you think of the Tablet style Media Units

• Yep i like it, looks modern

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • no opinion either way

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • not for me

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • really don't like it,

Votes: 54 34.8%

Poll do you like or not the tablet media unit?

22K views 70 replies 47 participants last post by  iQQi 
#1 · (Edited)
This facelift what do you think of the tablet style media units

they seem a marmite option, you either love or hate them

See less See more
#2 ·
All manufacturers are fitting them in an attempt to bring the information tbereon nearer to driver eye level. It is probably mandated, although I am not sure if that is the case.

#5 ·
I prefer a flush dashboard with the media unit completely embeded and not sticking up.

#6 ·
The whole central console just looks WRONG.

There seems to be a dial in the middle of the buttons just below the display replacing the two on each edge of the current version - more complex and more difficult use when driving. Air flow is probably too low and heating control unit seems to be rotated.

Really, it looks like a budge.

#28 ·
Have to admit, I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me and it does appear to be in a safer position.

Well, we don't know that they didn't but the problem is that the more people you ask, the more variable the answers. Just look at the poll in this thread, it's not overwhelmingly conclusive.

#8 ·
Like it or not, this is the only way to get a bigger display into ioniq (and other cars) without it beeing down by the floor of the car...

I like, that its a bigger display and maby better resolution (ppi)

I dont like that controlls now come as touch buttons, i like tactile buttons so i know that i've pushed it without looking.

#9 ·
The problem, apart from the screen (in a weird position), you can see there're no buttons for the climate control, everything seems tactil now and that's in my opinion a very big mistake

In the actual Ioniq the buttons are big and you can remember where they're easily, but not anymore with the new version.... the only big deal with that is the new firmware will be better with new options, new navigation system and maybe new functions

#11 ·
I hate it. The display already suffers from being blocked by bright sunlight and this just makes things ten times worse, especially for viewing the GPS.

#13 ·
No doubt to become a target for assorted thievery from peasants who think it must be de-mountable...:mad:

I wonder how likely it is we can garner the name of the particular R&D cretin at Hyundai who thought this abortion was a good idea? So we can beat him to death with it when you miss the turning off the motorway...? :mad:

Reactions: DadioGlasgow
#19 · (Edited)
The only thing I want as an upgrade from my 2018 Ioniq BEV is the updated speedometer cluster. Nothing else I've seen is a must have upgrade, especially the large center console LCD screen.

The HVAC controls switching from traditional buttons and dials to now touch buttons is a massive blunder IMO. Traditional is more functional in every way.

IMO Hyundai made the exterior styling worse with those patterns and the interior worse.

#20 ·
The HVAC controls switching from traditional buttons and dials to now touch buttons is a massive blunder IMO. Traditional is more functional in every way.
Yeah, to me tactile controls would seem to be safer as you can adjust them without looking at them most times. Trying to adjust controls on a touchscreen, to me, requires more concentration diverted from actual driving.

#21 ·
I wonder if this is one more step in a common appearance change across Hyundai's product line. Look at the 2019 Tucson and you'll see the same kind of floating display. Hyundai and Kia like the idea of having a similarity theme across each product line. These floating displays are getting more and more common. Maybe this is one of those next items manufacturers think is part of the future designs. We'll see if Hyundai does this on each vehicle model as they do a design refresh.

#22 ·
In some of the more high end vehicles, the tablet style unit is retractable. However, the ones that are not just seem like a dust collector; just another bunch of corners that will be a pain to keep clean. I have the 2017 Ioniq with the 8" screen integrated into the dash and I much prefer that. This tablet style screen in addition to the much more cramped interior are what kept me from jumping onboard the Kona EV bandwagon.

#26 ·
Never been a fan of the built in tablets. They just look like an afterthought to me. But someone must like them out there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.