Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Trickle charge

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jonboy 
#1 ·
I own a 2018 Ioniq PHEV. I only use my 110 volt garage output to trickle charge overnight, because I don’t drive much. I also top the battery up after a short drive, even when it is still 80% full. Opinions about trickle charging are very divided. What is the general vision on this problem?

Pieter Rijke
West-Kelowna, BC

#2 ·
Opinion is NOT divided. If you only use the car occasionally, then do NOT constantly bring the State of Charge to maximum.
It is simple enough to keep it at around 75-80%, which removes the need for constant charging. In the PHEV leaves the car with room in the battery to accommodate regeneration and on-the-go charging via the ICE.

#3 ·
I charge my phev using the trickle charger over night also, two or three times a week. Typically I recharge at the medium rate setting. I generally do not recharge when the temperature is much below freezing. I don't have any concerns about using the trickle charger and plan to continue charging this way.

However, I don't recharge every day or top the battery off after short drives (unless I know I have a longer trip coming up).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.