Drivers door seal cracked - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tonyleckenby

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-05-19, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The rubber seal around the opening where the door fits has cracked. See photos. The crack/tear is around 8-10cm long and is along the verticle edge that gets flattened by the closing door.

The last driver before me was a little taller than me and maybe used to hit the B pillar on entering the car with the seat a few cm further back than myself.

I will be checking this out with the dealer on my next visit. Can't see why this isnt a warrenty issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_181836_1559067352851.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	29532   Click image for larger version

Name:	1559068006649562137720_1559068079657.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	29534  

2017 PHEV. Offsetting my RX-8 use with my marina blue IONIQ Plugin hybrid!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BlueNev; 28-05-19 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Add photo? Typos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-05-19, 02:27 PM

You need to go to your dealer. That will be warranty.

2018 PHEV Premium SE in Marina Blue
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-05-19, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks betamax, thought I'd mentioned the dealer visit, my current problem is which one. The option to pop into any would be good.

I have found the part number, just so I can get an idea of future costs of the item.
On a US site, $70.
https://www.hyundaioemparts.com/oem-...ody-82120g2000
Weather strip on body front door body right hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BlueNev; 29-05-19 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Link checked ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 31-05-19, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
STANDY BY YOUR BEDS... BLACKPOOL HYUNDAI REFUSED TO PUT A WARRENTY CASE IN... YOU'VE OBVIOUSLY BEEN USING IT.

They changed their mind while i was on the phone to hyundai uk... and mentioned tgat they had not replied to a call i made about my engine fault yet from 1st may...

CAN EVERY TALL IONIQ DRIVER PLEASE check that their door seals are in tact... or if they brush the seal that there is any sign of wear...

Angry of Preston
Not merchantable quality!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 31-05-19, 06:14 PM

Since your car is second hand, you can’t have an idea about the prior owner’s activities. To have the seal broken in that particular place would take a child size person hitting it regularly when mounting the seat, not a tall adult, so I see a reason why they refuse to do the repair under warranty. Did they quote you for the repair? Maybe you should fix it in a repair shop with an aftermarket seal.

2018 Ioniq Hybrid SEL with tech pkg
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-19, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermah View Post
Since your car is second hand, you can’t have an idea about the prior owner’s activities. To have the seal broken in that particular place would take a child size person hitting it regularly when mounting the seat, not a tall adult, so I see a reason why they refuse to do the repair under warranty. Did they quote you for the repair? Maybe you should fix it in a repair shop with an aftermarket seal.
Small people? I wondered what made you say that and realised you had not recognised that the photos are actually of the vertical part of the door seal. Lol

I do know that the very tall, 6' 4", Sales Manager at Vantage drove the car around 80 miles every day having charged the car at the dealer. This actually accounts for the 8k miles on the clock in 6 months. His height also lends itself to some wear occurring on his watch as every day he would certainly have had to gain entry to the car with only an 18" gap between the cars... In the UK parking space is at a premium.

Last edited by BlueNev; 07-06-19 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Previous driver details added
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-19, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Warrenty work approved by Hyundai - door weather strip

Chorley Hyundai at Blackpool have just confirmed that Hyundai, in their great wisdom, have decided that my door body weather seal should be replaced under warrenty. He suggests that Hyundai will take this as an example for their quality people.

I have added a photo that shows the door closed with the window open, looking down at the inner window sill, the crack is where the window starts.
The other photo shows the wear that has occurred along the middle third of the seal edge.

The seal that is affected is the one attached to the body not the door. As you enter the car with the door open at its minimum designed setting 6-8" max, perhaps in a UK car park, it is very difficult not the brush against this seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190606_165959.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	29570   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190606_164141_resized.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	29572  

Last edited by BlueNev; 07-06-19 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Improve photo description
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-19, 02:39 PM

Looks like it could be caused by a badly aligned door! Any Mark's on door?
BlueNev likes this.

tony leckenby
warrington uk
2017 prem se plug in (that lovely blue color)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-19, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyleckenby View Post
Looks like it could be caused by a badly aligned door! Any Mark's on door?
No marks on the door but there may be a little extra pressure from the transition in the door shape change. The wear on the edge of the seal definately lead to the crack but the extra pressure didn't help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page