Window frost from the inside - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-01-18, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Window frost from the inside

Hello everyone,

I got my Ioniq EV Cold package on Dec. 16th. I'm loving it so far but there has been one issue.

With this crazy cold weather and temps less than -10. Whenever I park outside, by the time I return to the car all the windows have frost on the inside. I then have to run the heater for a while until it melts enough so I can see.
While I drive I have it on the windshield/feet setting and around 22 C depending on how cold it is. I turned of the ADS as I found it really annoying and got complaints by passengers that it was cold while it was on. Also the manual says that it doesn't work properly in temperatures colder than -10.
While driving I always need to have defroster setting on otherwise everything starts fogging up immediately.

So I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, but this has never been an issue with any other cars I've owned, and in a parking lot no other car appears to have this issue either.
The next thing I'm thinking is, that maybe the mats I bought retain the water from when the snow melts more than other cars and when the car is off the moisture sticks to the windows then freezes.

I'm going to reach out to the dealer this week coming up as it's really annoying and I have to waste time and battery to heat up the car like 5 mins whenever I park outside.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-01-18, 02:34 PM

Have you got the Climate Control Air Intake (right most climate control panel button) set to Recirculate ? If so there is no fresh air coming in from outside and the moisture in occupants breath will cause the humidity to rise and hence condensation freezing on the windows.
bluecar1, stuckoncanada and SEvans like this.

Ioniq EV SE 2017 Platinum Silver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(UK spec)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-01-18, 02:41 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Yes, its either that or you have moisture inside the car.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-01-18, 07:09 AM

You can get moisture absorbing pads that you simply place on the dashboard, they are designed to suck moisture out of the air. they can be taken out and recharged.
I guess they are similar to the silica gel bags you get in new electrical equipment boxes.

Also, I have found that its worse if the floor mats are soaking wet, from snow that melted, wet shoes etc. Or even a wet coat left in the car overnight.
MikeC likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-01-18, 07:18 AM
BDG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue407 View Post
You can get moisture absorbing pads that you simply place on the dashboard, they are designed to suck moisture out of the air. they can be taken out and recharged.
Yes I use those they are quite effective, have one in car and one recharged in polythene bag ready to use :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pingi-Dehum...+dehumidifiers

St Austell, Cornwall, UK
PHEV Premium Marina Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-01-18, 11:26 AM

Garage
I had this situation only once, outside temp was -10C, in the morning noticed front windshield was uniformly covered with frost outside and inside!!
the side windows were clean.

When car in off mode what is the status of Recirculation, is it On or Off, or it will remember the setting before car go to off state?

When spray my windshield with washer liquid , I can smell it inside the car even when Recirculation is ON.

If it was humidity inside car, why not frosting all the windows?

In my other car when car is closed, after couple of seconds , air duct motors perform some activity, i guess they close air ducts so car is sealed from outside weather.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 15-01-18, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chui View Post
Have you got the Climate Control Air Intake (right most climate control panel button) set to Recirculate ? If so there is no fresh air coming in from outside and the moisture in occupants breath will cause the humidity to rise and hence condensation freezing on the windows.
Recirculate is always off, and the air in the car feels fresh so I don't think it has to do with that.

In terms of mats, I bought the kind that have felt on them, so it might be retain melted snow alot longer than the normal kind. I can swap them with normal ones from my other car and see if that makes a difference.

The other thing which is odd is when I'm driving and my kids are in the back, their window will form frost, even though I have defroster + legs on. The front windows are fine.

If it's not the mats, then could it it be some structural problem with the car?

The dehumidifier bag seems awesome btw.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 17-01-18, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

I found that running the climate in AUTO fixes the issue. Maybe I needed a higher fan speed or something as AUTO will go up to 4 or something. Consumes between 4-5kw though which sucks.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 28-03-18, 02:02 AM

If the AC does not work, then dehydrating breather or desiccant might be useful

Last edited by bluecar1; 29-03-18 at 02:40 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 28-03-18, 07:02 AM

I had this issue on my Chevy Cruze. At one point before it was fixed it was so bad that when I went through a car wash water actually ran out of the overhead console as it melted from the heat of the dryer!

The recirculating air flap was not operating correctly regardless of the button being on or off. It was quickly verified by dropping the glove compartment and observing the door itself when the air re-circulation button was toggled on and off. It was fixed by reprogramming at the dealer.

Also the comment about water in the floor carpets is a contributing factor. I upgraded to Weathertech mats and haven't looked back since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page