The Chinese are coming..! - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By SEvans
  • 1 Post By PDilly
  • 1 Post By SEvans
  • 3 Post By SEvans

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
The Chinese are coming..!

https://newatlas.com/geely-geometry-...ric-car/59280/
BlueBaron and The seasider like this.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!

Last edited by SEvans; 12-04-19 at 05:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 08:39 AM

There’s a lot of Ioniq showing through.

The car market is going to get very exciting during the next ten years.

Makes me think that future grandchildren won’t know what a steering wheel is 🤣🤣
BlueBaron likes this.

2018 Ionic Electric Premium SE.
Petrol is dear, electric is cheap, solar power is really cheap!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 11:05 AM

I don't think the Chinese have made a good car yet. So I would not buy an Hybrid or any other Chinese car. It I only had the money to afford a Chinese car, then I would spend that money on a decent second hand car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
I don't think the Chinese have made a good car yet. So I would not buy an Hybrid or any other Chinese car. It I only had the money to afford a Chinese car, then I would spend that money on a decent second hand car.
Er, you do know that Greely own Volvo AND Lotus AND Proton? So you may already have...

Yes, my first thought was that they'd taken styling lessons from the Koreans...
BlueBaron likes this.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans View Post
Er, you do know that Greely own Volvo AND Lotus AND Proton? So you may already have...

Yes, my first thought was that they'd taken styling lessons from the Koreans...
I did own a Volvo when ford owned it and it had gone downhill.

But what I meant is not a company that the Chinese have bought but a Chinese make. You can see many clones in China of cars like Range Rovers to name one brand. But the engineering is lacking and after a few years the quality tells. According to what I have heard but I've no reason to question their opinions having bought several Chinese products in the past.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
I did own a Volvo when ford owned it and it had gone downhill.

But what I meant is not a company that the Chinese have bought but a Chinese make. You can see many clones in China of cars like Range Rovers to name one brand. But the engineering is lacking and after a few years the quality tells. According to what I have heard but I've no reason to question their opinions having bought several Chinese products in the past.
As always the Chinese get castigated for the quality control but the problem is not what they CAN build, but what they DO build as soon as your back is turned.
When I worked for Ford one of my projects was the building and setting up of a gearbox plant in China. Millions spent, thousands of staff trained and for six months the quality was exemplary - fewer warranty claims on Transit gearboxes then ever before. Happy Times!
Then, seemingly overnight, QC took a nose-dive. I was tasked with going to China to resolve the difficulties: Where I had cars at my disposal and staff available before this time on arrival no car, and nobody was answering the phone. I took a taxi to the plant and we turned in at the gate which was open. Climbed over the hill and there before me was...

... A concrete pad where the 40-acre plant had been!!!

It don't take long to find out that the Chinese bosses had taken it upon themselves to sell the complete plant (which they didn't own), to someone equally unscrupulous many hundreds of miles away, still in China. They'd paid off the local police to look the other way while the site was dismantled and moved, wholesale.

The story did have a funny ending though: They thieving herberts had `forgotten` to pay off the local party officials so, faced with evidence of the wholesale theft of Fords property - and potential embarrassment of The Government and The Party, it was mere hours before the bosses were rounded up, their bank accounts raided and jailed for many, many years after a mockery of a trial.
Funnier still the local police were taken away and shot.
Ford eventually got it's money back - minus the `bung` for the party officials - who had also robbed the bosses bank accounts while they were at it!

Lesson learned, Ford put an English team in charge based permanently out there and, as far as I know, the plant delivers on-time and on-spec to the Turks (who build the Transit today), with the build quality only the Turks can manage...

I then moved to the motorcycle market where copying is endemic to China (one of the largest manufacturers is `Hodna`, and Honda have been trying to deal that for YEARS!
But certain manufacturers now have QC by Europeans and seemingly have surpassed even Japanese build quality...

Make no mistake, China can build anything to match anyone in the World. You just dare not take your eyes off `em. Not even for a second!
chui, evioniq and BlueBaron like this.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV

Last edited by SEvans; 12-04-19 at 01:42 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 02:15 PM

I wonder how many people realise how many household name products are built under licence in China. Whilst BMW enjoys a prestigious name for it's motorbikes many of their engines are built by Loncin in China. ( Loncin are best known here for lawnmower engines!)
Also Hyundai build their commercial vehicles in China in addition to plants all kind the world.
As S E Evans says quality control is their downfall. Cheap copies of good Chinese products are widespread in the electronics components industry.

2019 Polar White HEV Premium,
previously 2017 Polar White HEV SE
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans View Post
Funnier still the local police were taken away and shot.

Just amazing what went on there but not surprising.

Talking of cheap copies of Honda, when I was in Kenya, we had no electric. Knowing about how Chinese knock off's flood the markets of Africa, we bought a Fake Honda generator, if real about £2000 worth back then but in Kenyan Shillings, worked out to about £200.

The generator wasn't going to last a lifetime like a real Honda generator but for 1/10th of the price and well maintaining it you could get three years out of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in