Charge door - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-19, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Charge door

Hi, i have a problem with my Charge door. The pin that holds the door in place sometimes does not release the door when pushed. Today i had to forcebly open the door and the pin is still retracted and i cannot loosen it. Anyone else that has had this ? Tomorrow i will take contact with the Hyundai garage.

Shaun Brown
Hyundai Ioniq Plug in
Phantom black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-19, 01:34 PM

Garage
To unlock my charge door, I have to unlock the car then click the unlock button again and push the door slightly to open it within 10 seconds.

I suggest you might want to try locking the car now, then clicking unlock twice.
The button that normally holds the door shut should now be pushed carefully to release the lock within 10 seconds of pushing unlock the second time.

2017 PHEV. Offsetting my RX-8 use with my marina blue IONIQ Plugin hybrid!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-19, 01:38 PM

Garage
Let's see what the dealer thinks. Maybe send a pic?
Hope you get it solved. You didn't damage the door opening it?

😃 2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium 😃

Last edited by Patrick; 02-04-19 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-19, 12:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNev View Post
To unlock my charge door, I have to unlock the car then click the unlock button again and push the door slightly to open it within 10 seconds.
I can always open the charging door as long as the car doors are unlocked. No need for a second press of the unlock button, and no re-locking after ten seconds.

Car doors locked --> Charging door locked.
Car doors unlocked --> Charging door unlocked.

Simple as that. Now, the locking of the charging cable is a different story...

2018 Platinum Silver Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in PremiumEco

Last edited by andersmo; 03-04-19 at 12:38 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-19, 05:34 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunb View Post
Hi, i have a problem with my Charge door. The pin that holds the door in place sometimes does not release the door when pushed. Today i had to forcebly open the door and the pin is still retracted and i cannot loosen it. Anyone else that has had this ? Tomorrow i will take contact with the Hyundai garage.
There is only a button-driven release from the key fob, as far as I know in my experience on the PHEV.
NOT a push-to-release, to preserve the security of a charging door..?

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-19, 07:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Hi, i have a problem with my Charge door. The pin that holds the door in place sometimes does not release the door when pushed. Today i had to forcebly open the door and the pin is still retracted and i cannot loosen it.
Yes, I got that problem last winter and had to use a wooden stick to force it open, as gently as possible. The solenoid that should release the opening mechanism (unlock it) had stopped working.

I lived with the problem for months and got it fixed after the next service. They had to order not only the defect part, but the whole lid/door with the mechanism. The lid/door itself had to be painted at another garage that specailizes in painting. So it took weeks, even after the problem was diagnosed. I fact, the lid/door itself wasn't changed until March 13th this year, when my charging problem was fixed, as the old door really was undamaged.

The charge door is complicated. There are three kinds of locking involved:

1. The simple, manual/mechanical lock that just holds the door in closed position, when the car is recently unlocked. This unlocks by pressing the door inwards half an inch or so.

2. The locking of this simple opening mechanism when the car is locked. This prevents opening the door by pushing, in this state.

3. The locking of the cable, so it cannot be removed. This happens when the cable is attached and the car is locked, or ten seconds after the car is unlocked. It may, however, be automatically unlocked when the car has been charged, the charging is finished, and the button on the dash to unlock the cable is in the auto state.

PHEV assumed.

Regards, Knut, driving a 2017 Marina Blue Ioniq Plug-in Premium SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-19, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Hi, i have spoken to the garage today. They are not aware of this problem and i will be leaving my car with them on the 17th of April. Until then i cannot close the charge lid properly but this should not be a problem.
I will keep everyone posted as and when something happens.
knutsp likes this.

Shaun Brown
Hyundai Ioniq Plug in
Phantom black
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-19, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I had this problem last winter (winter 2018). I used WD-40 to get any ice out which caused it to stay down. Then I cleaned it off with soap and water and used a plastic treatment like Armour All. So far this past winter (winter 2019) had zero problems with it and when it comes time to wash the car I always open the charge door to make sure the pin area gets cleaned and I use Armour All or any other plastic treatment on the pin.
Patrick and BlueNev like this.

--------------------------------
Ask me about websites...

2017 BEV Marina Blue SE with CCP
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-19, 11:52 AM

Garage
Has anyone tried the manual override in the trunk?

I have a 2018 (BEV) and had one instance when the charging door didn't open. I remembered that my salesman showed me the manual override (not a technical term - a thing you pull attached to a "string" that's directly hooked up to the door). Anyway, I used this override and the door popped open instantly. Since that one case (during a sub-zero Canadian winter day), I haven't had any issue with the door...yet.

Mike.

New car: 2018 Hyundai Ioniq EV SE CCP (Platinum)
Old car: 2004 Toyota Corolla S (Blue)
Older car: 1994 Saturn SL1 (Blue)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 16-04-19, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Car left now at dealer, hopefully it should only take one day to fix this. They were aware of some similar cases.

Shaun Brown
Hyundai Ioniq Plug in
Phantom black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page