[DIY] Change Low Beam Headlight to LED - Page 4 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-03-19, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Cha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox Paul View Post

I am looking to replace the halogen bulbs in the high beam (for now). Has anyone tried the Hikari Ultra or the Katana bulbs in the high beams ?
In my opinion, I prefer fanless design in the high beam because it does not get overheat. Another reason is, in my opinion, when you use pass signal (flashing the high beam a few time) the fan on the LED will try to start on each and every flash, I don't think this is a good idea. So, in my opinion, I prefer fanless design for the high beam.

2017 Hyundai ioniq hybrid SEL with tech package. Summit Grey.
Bridgeport, CT U.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-03-19, 12:09 PM

Quote:
This looks like an excellent review of LED bulbs showing test results, not just comparing specs like other reviews do. Thanks for sharing. The video attached the review of the top-rated Hikari bulbs recommends the Hikarin Ultra as the best or the Katana as a close second for projector headlights, as we have in the Ioniq. I live in Canada and, surprizingly, the Katana are more expensive than the Hikari (on Amazon.ca).

I am looking to replace the halogen bulbs in the high beam (for now). Has anyone tried the Hikari Ultra or the Katana bulbs in the high beams ?
Actually, the high beam in my 2019 HEV Essential (base model in Canada) is a reflector style, not a projector (sadly). This review recommends the Nineo II as the best bulb for reflectors.

2019 HEV Essential (Base model in Canada), Intense Blue
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 20-03-19, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Cha

Quote:
Actually, the high beam in my 2019 HEV Essential (base model in Canada) is a reflector style, not a projector (sadly). This review recommends the Nineo II as the best bulb for reflectors.
Why do you care about beam pattern in the high beam?

2017 Hyundai ioniq hybrid SEL with tech package. Summit Grey.
Bridgeport, CT U.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 29-03-19, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
I bought a set of these for the reversing lights, hope they fit and are canbus error free: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/2-x-T15-W16W...53.m2749.l2649
Yeah, quoting myself. Wanted to give feedback, these W16W LEDs work as reversing lights and don't give canbus errors. And are much brighter than the original bulbs. Nice!

Ioniq EV Comfort, Intense Blue
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-19, 01:24 AM

I finally replaced the stock halogen bulbs in the low beams with LED's. I purchased the Katana LED's from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A while ago, I replaced the high beam halogens with Nineo LED's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both bulbs look to be very good quality and are well packaged. Both can be rotated. I suspect the both are made by the same company as the packaging is identical and the power supply is identical as well.

For the low beam LED conversion, I had to purchase this bulb holder to fit the LED's into the housing. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can't say that I'm real happy with this holder. It fits snugly into the housing but the bulbs does not fit very solidly into the holder. It's difficult to rotate the bulb once installed without it becoming loose from the holder and having to pull the entire thing out to start over. In any event, the conversion is done, I have no Canbus errors, and I now can see the deer at night. The increase in brightness and visibility at night is significant in the low beam and even more so in the high beam. It's a nice improvement, and I recommend doing it.
ngolf and zonoskar like this.

post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-19, 02:05 AM

Red face

For what it is worth ...

I had a little trouble finding something to work as a 'removal tool'
Then struck upon the BS 1363 (UK Power) adapter than comes with many multi-voltage devices

Cut off the bottom plug & the two others almost perfectly fit the Ioniq Headlight
(Adapting to fit a ratchet would be my next plan)
Cha likes this.

2018 Fiery Red Plug-In Elite
Wendouree, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-19, 06:35 PM

thanks Sithra. That's a good tip. It's incredibly tight in there so a custom-made tool would have been handy. I believe someone posted earlier that it helps to apply some heat to remove the plastic holder and reinstall the new one. I found this was really helpful. On an cold day, it would not budge until I took a hair dryer and heated it.

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-06-19, 10:19 PM

Paul did you have to modify the headlight cover in order to make the LED fit or did everything fit inside? I'm planning to install these Hikari H7 bulbs https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GKRKN5B/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 13-06-19, 06:16 PM

Hi ngolf. Yes I had to modify the dust cover. The bulb I used (Katana) fits nicely inside the cover and I suspect the Hikari's you plan to use will as well. But there is no room for the power supply to fit inside the cover. I experimented with an extended dust cover and I did not like the quality (very loose fit) of it. Even then, the power supply still did not fit inside this extended dust cover. So here's what I did:

The OEM halogen H7 bulb plugs directly in the OEM plastic bulb holder. See Cha's pictures and description at the start of this thread. You have to remove the OEM plastic bulb holder to remove the halogen bulb. I replaced the OEM plastic bulb holder with this adapter https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It looks like the same one Cha used. The new LED bulb is mounted to this adapter.

I then pulled the two wires that connected to the OEM plastic bulb holder using the technique explained by Cha. I drilled a small (about 3 mm) hole in the OEM dust cover to pass both wires. With both wires now on the outside of the dust cover, I reconnected them to the OEM plastic bulb holder on the outside of the dust cover. Essentially, I am now using the OEM bulb holder as a female plug for the LED power supply.

I plugged in the LED male power supply into the female plug of the OEM bulb holder on the outside of the dust cover.

I then drilled another hole (about 6-7 mm) in the dust cover to run the cable from the power supply back to the LED bulb.

So after doing all this, I end up with the power supply and OEM bulb holder on the outside of the dust cover, with 2 holes in the dust cover. I reinstalled the dust cover and applied clear caulking around the holes to keep water out. I tied down the power supply using a tie wrap.

Hopefully that's clear. Ideally, I would have taken pictures of this when I was doing it but it's all done now and I'm not taking it apart again (it is extremely tight to work on).

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 13-06-19, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the detailed information. I just ordered the parts from Amazon and will do this upgrade. I'll try to take some pictures. I think I will just drill 1 hole in the middle of the dust cover big enough for all the wire and ballast to be on the outside of dust cover since I may swap to a hid kit I have in a Mazda 3. Greetings from Victoria.
zonoskar likes this.

Last edited by ngolf; 13-06-19 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page