It's cool to drive an Ioniq - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 28-04-18, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool It's cool to drive an Ioniq

Things I Like:
1. I like that Hyundai has a reputation for building reliable, dependable cars backed up by good warranties. Of course I wont know how my car passes the test for another 10 years.

2. I like the good gas mileage and the good electric range. I like being efficient and the PHEV Ioniq is perfect for my driving situation. Short daily commutes and longer weekend trips. I dont need sports car acceleration. And I dont need an over sized battery because I can go 600 miles on gas. I cant wait to see what my average mpg will be after a year.

3. Itís a good value. One of the lowest price PHEV available, with a nice tax credit, and I will save thousands of dollars over the life of the car on fuel costs. The base model comes with a nice set of standard features so I dont feel like I had to give up anything to save money.

4. I like the exterior styling. Especially compared to the Prius and Clarity. I like it better than the Volt, Bolt, and Leaf. Itís a sharp looking car, somewhat sleek and sporty, somewhat normal yet modern.

5. I really like the interior, very smart, clean and simple. This is where I think a lot of car manufacturers mess up. The Prius interior layout is definitely not for me. I once rented a Mazda that had a dashboard layout so cluttered and confusing it made me want to scream. The Teslaís single touch screen is a design mistake on the other extreme. I much prefer the Ioniq with actual buttons and dials combined with smart screen displays. The controls are logical and intuitive. Itís just a comfortable place to be.

6. I like the heated seats. Ahhhh.

7. My old Honda Civic didnt have air conditioning. I didnt need AC when I was younger but I like the AC now.

8. My old Honda Civic was a great car, but it didnt have a lot of things. Like interval wipers, power locks, power mirrors, power windows, a backup camera, tire pressure monitoring, outside temperature display, display of mpg, cruise control, steering wheel volume control, and key fob. The Ioniq has all of these things that a lot of people probably take for granted. But these are things that make me smile.

9. I like the Android Auto integration and BlueTooth phone link. Google maps on the touch screen is great. Hands free phone calls are great.

10. I like the auto volume adjustment. I dont have to constantly adjust the radio volume when I drive now. And it helps that the car drives so quiet. With the electric drive and low road noise I can really enjoy listening to music.

11. I like the hatch back which makes the large trunk space easier to use. When you fold the seats down there's a lot of room back there.

12. I like the welcome lights on the door handles at night. This is the kind of thing that impresses my wife. That counts for something.

13. I get compliments from the guys at work too. Itís cool to drive an electric car.

Things I might not like:
1. No spare tire. In 34 years of driving I've had to change a tire on the side of the road twice. However, 5 years of free roadside assistance sounds good. And that would help with other sticky situations like breakdowns, no gas, and lost keys. So who knows, maybe this is a non issue.

2. No local sales and service center. The local Hyundai dealers don't sell the plug in Ioniq. But they do sell and service the hybrid Ioniq. I figure the plug in is just a hybrid with a bigger battery, bigger motor, and a plug. So hopefully they will not have a problem servicing my car.

Non issues:
1. I thought the rear window visibility might be too limited. When I went for a test drive the dealer had placed the temporary license plate on the rear window partially blocking my view. But I don't have any concerns now. I keep the rear seat headrests down and I don't have a problem.
bluecar1, chui, knutsp and 9 others like this.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-18, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I took my first weekend trip with the Ioniq, long enough to see how far I can go on pure battery power before the ICE kicks on. I drove 38 miles on battery, mostly driving at 60 mph between towns but some slower speeds in towns also. I like that.

I also like how the driver's floor mat is fastened in place and doesn't slide around. In my Civic the floor mat would slide up over time and eventually get stuck on the clutch pedal when I tried to shift. It was always a bit unsettling when you are trying to shift gears and the clutch sticks down. Maybe the Hyundai engineers are smart, or maybe I've been living in a cave for the last 16 years while the whole auto industry has improved around me. But anyway, I like it.

I am really happy with this car. I am beginning to think my daily commute to work is too short.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 19-08-18, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I bought gas today! First time since I've had the car. When I got my phev Ioniq 4 months ago it had a full tank of gas. Now 1750 miles later, it was at 1/4 tank so I bought 3 gallons of gas just to get back to half a tank. That's cool.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 19-08-18, 05:34 PM

So after reading this I am still trying to figure out if you really like this car. LOL. One question. I have some questions if you have the time.
1) what kind of charger do you have? Is it a 120 volt or 240?
2) have you ever timed it to see how long it takes to charge your PHEV when plugged in?
3) have you ever charged it away from home like in a public charging station?
4) have you checked to see what your overall fuel mileage is?
5) is there anything you don't like?
6) have you had the dealer service it and did you get any push back from them?
Thanks for your time and I am glad you like the car.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 19-08-18, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslingerheel View Post
So after reading this I am still trying to figure out if you really like this car. LOL. One question. I have some questions if you have the time.
1) what kind of charger do you have? Is it a 120 volt or 240?
2) have you ever timed it to see how long it takes to charge your PHEV when plugged in?
3) have you ever charged it away from home like in a public charging station?
4) have you checked to see what your overall fuel mileage is?
5) is there anything you don't like?
6) have you had the dealer service it and did you get any push back from them?
Thanks for your time and I am glad you like the car.
LOL, yes there is a lot to like.

1. I use the ICCB trickle charger. I plug into an outside socket next to my driveway. It's a 120 v, 15 Amp circuit with gfi protection.

2. I have not timed it. I use the scheduled charging so I plug it in when I get home in the evening, it starts charging sometime after I go to bed, and it finishes just before I go to work in the morning. Probably about 7-8 hours. I charge at the medium rate.

3. I have charged it at work and at home. I have never considered public charging. If the battery runs out when I am driving about, I just wait till I get home. No problem driving on gas for a few miles.

4. My cumulative mpg as displayed by the car has varied between about 200 mpg to about 500 mpg depending on how many long weekend trips I take. I was going to calculate it myself after filling up the gas tank but decided to only refill a partial tank so I don't have gas sitting unused for too long. Rough estimate would be about 200 mpg. But it's a strange number, it really just indicates that my driving pattern lets me run in EV mode most of the time.

5. Hmm... I wish the backup lights were brighter but I feel that way about all cars. I wish the startup musical tones were a little quieter, I'm not a morning person. I wish the key fob was a little smaller, I'm used to a single small key. I wish the rearview mirror nighttime dimmer switch worked as pull to dim instead of push to dim. I wish the cautionary message did not display on the touch screen every time you start the car, it goes away on its own after a few seconds but it's not necessary. I wish it would not chime when I'm not wearing the seatbelt, sometimes I don't need a seatbelt. I wish Android Auto would display a weather radar map. I wish Android Auto would display incoming text messages. I wish the phev Ioniq was more widely available. But all of these are minor things, mostly personal preferences that I don't worry about. The one thing that really bothered me was the car buying experience. I wish my car buying experience at the Hyundai dealerships had been better.

6. I haven't owned the car long enough to require service yet. This could be an issue later. With my Honda I did the routine stuff myself, oil, filters, brakes, tire rotation, wipers. I don't like to pay high service fees for work I can do myself and I don't totally trust car mechanics. So hopefully I don't get any pushback about it being a phev. And hopefully (from what I have read so far) in the US you can do some service yourself with a receipt and still keep the warranty in force.
bluecar1 likes this.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 30-11-18, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I drove a rental car this week for a business trip and found that it just doesn't compare very well to my Ioniq. One thing in particular was driving me crazy. The volume control knob for the radio was a very small knob located right next to the touch screen. Every time I tried to adjust the volume I would inadvertently change the radio station. I had to grip the volume knob with surgical precision to avoid touching the screen. I kept wondering to myself, who would design such a thing?

It was also loud and the doors felt like they were cheap or made of tin. I didnt care for the dash display, however, the temperature controls were simple and straightforward: temperature, fan, position. There's something to be said for that.

But I was very happy to get back to my Ioniq after the trip. Ahhhh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181128_074507926.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	28146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181128_074430748.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	28148  
bluecar1 likes this.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 08:15 AM

Red face

Regarding heated seats, in Australia we have 2 versions, the Elite and the Premium,The premium has, heated/vented seats and steering wheel, sunroof, leather seat covers etc, the Elite does not have these, we are skinflints so didnt buy the premium, but I do miss the heated seats so we bought this set off ebay. They are 2 heated seats with one control that fits the cigarette lighter.
cheap and cheerful price as well, no issues so far.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-12V-T...72.m2749.l2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Things I Like:
1. I like that Hyundai has a reputation for building reliable, dependable cars backed up by good warranties. Of course I wont know how my car passes the test for another 10 years.

2. I like the good gas mileage and the good electric range. I like being efficient and the PHEV Ioniq is perfect for my driving situation. Short daily commutes and longer weekend trips. I dont need sports car acceleration. And I dont need an over sized battery because I can go 600 miles on gas. I cant wait to see what my average mpg will be after a year.

3. Itís a good value. One of the lowest price PHEV available, with a nice tax credit, and I will save thousands of dollars over the life of the car on fuel costs. The base model comes with a nice set of standard features so I dont feel like I had to give up anything to save money.

4. I like the exterior styling. Especially compared to the Prius and Clarity. I like it better than the Volt, Bolt, and Leaf. Itís a sharp looking car, somewhat sleek and sporty, somewhat normal yet modern.

5. I really like the interior, very smart, clean and simple. This is where I think a lot of car manufacturers mess up. The Prius interior layout is definitely not for me. I once rented a Mazda that had a dashboard layout so cluttered and confusing it made me want to scream. The Teslaís single touch screen is a design mistake on the other extreme. I much prefer the Ioniq with actual buttons and dials combined with smart screen displays. The controls are logical and intuitive. Itís just a comfortable place to be.

6. I like the heated seats. Ahhhh.

7. My old Honda Civic didnt have air conditioning. I didnt need AC when I was younger but I like the AC now.

8. My old Honda Civic was a great car, but it didnt have a lot of things. Like interval wipers, power locks, power mirrors, power windows, a backup camera, tire pressure monitoring, outside temperature display, display of mpg, cruise control, steering wheel volume control, and key fob. The Ioniq has all of these things that a lot of people probably take for granted. But these are things that make me smile.

9. I like the Android Auto integration and BlueTooth phone link. Google maps on the touch screen is great. Hands free phone calls are great.

10. I like the auto volume adjustment. I dont have to constantly adjust the radio volume when I drive now. And it helps that the car drives so quiet. With the electric drive and low road noise I can really enjoy listening to music.

11. I like the hatch back which makes the large trunk space easier to use. When you fold the seats down there's a lot of room back there.

12. I like the welcome lights on the door handles at night. This is the kind of thing that impresses my wife. That counts for something.

13. I get compliments from the guys at work too. Itís cool to drive an electric car.

Things I might not like:
1. No spare tire. In 34 years of driving I've had to change a tire on the side of the road twice. However, 5 years of free roadside assistance sounds good. And that would help with other sticky situations like breakdowns, no gas, and lost keys. So who knows, maybe this is a non issue.

2. No local sales and service center. The local Hyundai dealers don't sell the plug in Ioniq. But they do sell and service the hybrid Ioniq. I figure the plug in is just a hybrid with a bigger battery, bigger motor, and a plug. So hopefully they will not have a problem servicing my car.

Non issues:
1. I thought the rear window visibility might be too limited. When I went for a test drive the dealer had placed the temporary license plate on the rear window partially blocking my view. But I don't have any concerns now. I keep the rear seat headrests down and I don't have a problem.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My wife gave me a similar seat heater when I had my old car. I used it for a couple winters and it was nice. But by the third year it had stopped heating. Best of luck with yours.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
So after one year my average is 150 mpg (US). Very nice! I'm happy that it is more than the plug in Ioniq's rated mpge of about 120. During the first year I wanted to just drive the car like normal to get a baseline of what a 'normal' mpg would be for me. But with the mpg and energy displays on the dash and all the little things you learn about maximizing range it's easy and natural to try to increase your mpg when driving.

For me, the biggest hit to mpg was driving in HEV mode during the coldest months of the winter. After reading about lithium battery technology, I decided not to recharge the battery if the temperature was below freezing. Since I don't have a garage I spent about 2 months driving in HEV mode. And in those kinds of temperatures any car's gas mileage would suffer.

This year I am looking at building a garage. It would allow me to recharge in any weather which should really boost my average mpg. (And give me a warm start on cold winter mornings, and stop mice from chewing on the car wires, and keep tree sap off of the paint, and all the other normal benefits of a garage)

But I've come to see that a mpg figure for a plug in car is not what the average person on the street thinks of as mpg. It's fun to tell family and friends my mpg and watch their jaws drop, but really it just means that I do a lot of driving in EV mode and a little driving in HEV mode. And it doesn't hurt that the Ioniq is rated at HEV 52 mpg in HEV mode. That alone should impress them when the US national average is only 25 mpg.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance
198? Dodge Omni

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 12:29 PM

If there was one improvement to be made to the full electric, itís better soundproofing. But thatís more weight and less efficient

2018 Ionic Electric Premium SE.
Petrol is dear, electric is cheap, solar power is really cheap!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in