It's cool to drive an Ioniq - Page 3 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 08:57 AM

@PDilly I remember them well. I was too young to own one but my eldest brother had two. One actually had a reverse and electric start. The reverse wasn't really reverse. You had to stop the engine, switch to reverse and start the engine again. This was because reverse was selected by starting the engine backwards. Seats, wow they were uncomfortable and very basic.

The attached picture is not a picture of his as he sold it many many years ago but it may help others picture one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190421_135500_1555851315877.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	29342  

2018 PHEV Premium SE in Marina Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDilly View Post
Oh, and no reverse gear
All you needed to do was pick up the front and turn it around.

2019 Phantom Black PHEV Premium SE
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 10:10 AM

Was it understeering on tight curves?

2018 Ioniq Hybrid SEL with tech pkg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax_man View Post
@PDilly I remember them well. I was too young to own one but my eldest brother had two. One actually had a reverse and electric start. The reverse wasn't really reverse. You had to stop the engine, switch to reverse and start the engine again. This was because reverse was selected by starting the engine backwards. Seats, wow they were uncomfortable and very basic.

The attached picture is not a picture of his as he sold it many many years ago but it may help others picture one.
I had a second one too. It was similar to your pic but an earlier model. I think they were models C & E. It broke down outside our house and my dad gave the exasperated owner ten pounds for it which he gladly took. It was electric start though. No reverse. It had small tube heater down in the footwell too. Pity the battery couldn’t handle it 🤣🤣🤣

2018 Ionic Electric Premium SE.
Petrol is dear, electric is cheap, solar power is really cheap!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcf View Post
All you needed to do was pick up the front and turn it around.
Yep. Had to do that once or twice 🤣🤣

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermah View Post
Was it understeering on tight curves?
No, but it was underpowered downhill 🤣🤣

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 22-04-19, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDilly View Post
My first six cars all had manual choke but the very first was a three wheel Bond MiniCar.
Almost all my cars in the UK had manual choke, and there were always tales of women pulling out the choke knobs so they would have some place to hang their handbags.

I also remember the Bond minicar, though I never had one myself. Eventually replaced by the Bond Bug, which had the creature comforts of a reverse gear and heaters, but no radio, and a rather unique entry/exit arrangement involving lifting the body off. Rather ironically, given how (almost) universally they were reviled back then, they are collector cars now!

What I like about my Ioniq is that it cost me about $6000 less than a similarly equipped Prius, gives me CarPlay, dual-zone heat and air, and where the Prius was barely managing 55mpg (US, 69, UK) for my regular commutes, the Ioniq is at 62 (US, 78 UK) - with barely any effort to achieve it.

I also like how quiet the Ioniq is on the road, even under acceleration. The Prius used to rev like crazy just to overtake, and road and wind noise was quite high.

The Ioniq doesn't broadcast its HEV credentials in the same way a Prius does, so I find other drivers less combative, and because it is actually more comfortable, and driving it doesn't require any special attention to technique to get good economy, I get where I'm going with a lot less stress.

2019 Ioniq SEL
Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page